Fruits/Veggies

Options
Hey!
I am a 26 year old school teacher. I have a granola bar for breakfast, a tuna fish kit, baked chips, and an apple for lunch and then dinner-lean cuisine, chikfila salad,etc. Then on the weekend I tend to forget I'm watching my weight and eat whatever I want. I am exercising 4-5 times a week with an aerobics/weight training class or walking. I am 5'1 and weigh 186 pounds. I feel like I'm never going to get these 30 pounds off. I feel better after I exercise but I'm sluggish in the morning. I need some help. Do I need more fruits and veggies or what?! People tell me I look better but I'm having a hard time believeing them because I've been doing this for 3 weeks and the scale hasn't moved. HELP ME!

Replies

• sebmsu
    sebmsu Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey!
    I am a 26 year old school teacher. I have a granola bar for breakfast, a tuna fish kit, baked chips, and an apple for lunch and then dinner-lean cuisine, chikfila salad,etc. Then on the weekend I tend to forget I'm watching my weight and eat whatever I want. I am exercising 4-5 times a week with an aerobics/weight training class or walking. I am 5'1 and weigh 186 pounds. I feel like I'm never going to get these 30 pounds off. I feel better after I exercise but I'm sluggish in the morning. I need some help. Do I need more fruits and veggies or what?! People tell me I look better but I'm having a hard time believeing them because I've been doing this for 3 weeks and the scale hasn't moved. HELP ME!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your calories??
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    Dont get discouraged sebmsu!! I was in the same position you were. When I satrted working out for like the first 3 weeks I think I only lost 3 pounds. Mind you that was probably water weight since I did not realize how much salt I ate everyday. I dont know how long it has been since you last worked out but more in likely you are losing fat and replacing it with muscle. But keep up with what your doing and I promise results are headed your way. A freind told me to take pictures of myself pretty often so you can see the changes on not depend so much on that stupid scale. Also use a tape measure instead of the scale. Alot of poeple on here usually do a weigh in once a week. That would probably be good for you to keep your discouragment down. Good luck...AND DONT GIVE UP!!! You are doing the right things I promise.:flowerforyou:
  • sebmsu
    sebmsu Posts: 26
    Options
    I started Tuesday and had 190 calories left over and Wednesday I had -33 but I didn't log in my 45 minutes of strength traning becasue It's total body and I don't know how to do it on this site.
    A friend of mine is a dietician and says I should be eating 1500-1700 calories a day but according to this site with my exercise it goes up to like 2000 a day which seems crazy. I'm only getting one fruit in a day. Is that the problem?
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You may be losing inches and that is what they are seeing. Have you tried measuring yourself?
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The site with your starting calories is already set for an individual to lose weight (one pound per week: approx.) without exercise. If you exercise, that allows your more calories to eat. If your starting calorie count is 1200, eat your 1200 and then if you lose 600 calories that day, eat those calories too!! This site is to help people eat healthy enough so you don't have to exercise to lose weight or maintain weight based upon what you are needing. Most people need 5 to 7 servings of veggies/fruit per day. If you are only getting one, try to sqeeze in a few more. It is not going to hurt you but remember to stay in your calorie count!!

Take care!
    ~Mindy
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    so assuming (school teacher) your lifestyle is somewhat active your maintenance calories (what you need to stay at 186 lbs) is about 1800 calories a day.

so no idea what granola bar you are having so I'll use nature valley oats n honey
    90 calories

so I have no idea what a tunafish kit is but I'll assume it's a sandwich
    if it's a regular one with white bread and mayonnaise it's probably around 350 calories

baked lays are
    330 per serving (11 chips, that's all you're eating right? :tongue: )

most lean cusines are somewhere between 300 and 500 calories so we will call it

and the chik-fil-a stuff is all over the map depending on the salad so lets call that 200 for now.

you total is about 1050 calories.
    a little low if you ask me. You should eat more (and yes, more fruits and veggies or at least a V8)
    if you are exercising then you are WAAAAAAY too low. you should use the goals calculator on here.
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Try eating protein than carbs for your first meal of the day or at least an equal amount. (See Detour bar info below) This will speed up your metabolism by 33% for about 6 hours. Eating more carbs than protein for your first meal will drag your metabolism down.

There are some lo-cal options out there for this like Detour Bars and South Beach Bars.

The small detour bar has 180 cal 15g protein and 15g carbs. Tastes like a Snickers and very filling to me. You can get the small ones at Wal Mart 6 pack is 6 bucks or Sam's 24 bars for $18