Getting Started - tips for success

Options
Hey - I'm new to all of this and would love some great tips from people who have had success. I hate reading all the diet websites out there - I want to know what worked for you? what kept you on track? what was the hardest part? I've been here before and I'm serious taking no prisoners attitude this time.

SW 1-01-10 289
CW 8-1-10 262

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    What's helped me is the accountability this site allots for you. Advice I was given- if you bite it, write it. Log everything you eat so you know where your strengths are and where you need work. Exercise logging helps you know how many extra calories you can eat if you want to too!!!! Good luck!
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    watching what i eat and how much. and i quit drinking reg soda only will drink diet ( it my coffee in the morn). and taking my daily frustrations out during a walk. good luck hun. add me so we can keep in touch
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    Keep coming back and make lots of friends that will encourage you to keep on trying. You are welcome to add me. :smile: There are lots of great sources. Let me recommend that you read all of the information for newbies on MFP. It will clear up a lot of questions you may have about weight loss and the site.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/55796-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    Welcome,
    the most important thing is to track your food and exercise daily. Stick with it, dont give up. Come here for support and encouragement. /We can do this
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Decide to get healthy. Record progress daily, food, exercise and measurments. I blog ideas, stratagies, highs & lows and keep reminding myself why I am doing this. I examine set backs and try to understand them, then I devise a plan for when I face the same challange again. This could be PMS, or eating out, or the blues, have a plan for when you meet up with your hard days. Rejoice when you meet a goal, celebrate it. And ask for help when you need it. Repeatedly if you have to. We are here for you.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You gotta exercise! Some days I really don't want to but my MFP friends root me on and I get it done. Change up your exercises so you don't get bored. DVD's, Bike, Swim, Gym equipment, Wii Fit , walking, running - anything you can think of. Also - be very honest on your diary - it's there for your success! there is great info on the Message boards. As you can see, I scan almost daily and have found great information , tips and Recipes. Good luck!
  • BeSexy
    BeSexy Posts: 94
    Options
    Exercise is a must min 5 x a week. 30 minute minimum. Like I posted the other day

"Schedule your workout just like anything else that's important to you. Make it non-negotiable." Chalene Johnson. (Turbo FIre Tracker)

Stay positive, surround yourself with positive people and know YOU CAN DO THIS! YOU WILL DO THIS!
  • JUSTFORME2010
    JUSTFORME2010 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I actually got on this site and go on it many times during the day and read what other people like yourself experience. I also love the friends i have made and the encouragement they give. My hardest part is exercising.

GET LOTS OF FRIENDS!!!
  • monkaz82
    monkaz82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i gotta say iv already posted somewhere but iv lost 31 in 11weeks from mainly follwing this site n slim fast. its awesome. i gotta ask tho, anyone find after a while they arent losing but with still lots to lose?
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Be CONSISTENT

That's my 1 tip for starting. :) Good luck missy! :) you got a good support group here!
  • vdub88
    vdub88 Posts: 79
    Options
    And ask for help when you need it. Repeatedly if you have to.

Thanks all - How does one ask for help - what can others help with I guess that is why I struggle - i don't know how or what to ask help for
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    A few tips that have helped me on my journey:

Dont give up what you love - just find better ways to prepare it, or eat smaller portions and supplement your meal with other healthy options.

Exercise - find something that you love to do, whether it's running, biking, zumba, swimming, weight training. it's important to just be moving!!

Find people who will work with you and motivate you - if you have someone at home you can work with, do it! If not, find a group of friends on MFP and keep each other going!

Be content with slow weigh loss - a true lifestyle change is going to take a while. you'll learn great new habits to replace the old ones. It took a long time to get to where you are, it will take time to get to where you want to be. don't ever give up!

I think if you stick with those four, you should be successful! Best of luck on your journey! :)

Athina
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    * Eat lots of calories early in the day. I used to never eat breakfast, eat a light lunch, and then have a big dinner. I've since learned that I was doing that all wrong. When I eat a healthy breakfast and a bigger lunch, I have more energy to exercise, and exercise has become fun rather than a chore now that I'm not entirely too tired to do it right.

* Don't give up, even if you plateau for a while. I lost my first 8lbs in a little over a month, then I went a whole MONTH without losing another pound before they began coming off again.

* Don't deny yourself things you really love. If you like sweets, a little bit here and there isn't going to hurt you. Same with alcohol. Same with fried food. The more important things are portion control and controlling the frequency that you indulge. You need to think of healthy eating as a change in your lifestyle, not just a diet, and completely cutting unhealthy food out of your life permanently isn't realistic for most people. I'm losing weight steadily, but I have a bit of chocolate almost every day, and I still swing by Taco Bell about once a week. Enjoy the "bad" foods when you have them, then go out and exercise more to make up for it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!