I want to run a half-marathon! But I also want to lift!

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I'm still a newbie runner, just completed my first 5k but didn't run the entire thing (had to walk just a couple times for a minute or so). For 2014, my goal is to complete a half-marathon. Right now, I'm comfortable running about 2 miles, almost comfortable running 3 but still have to walk at parts.

Here are my questions:

1. Can you recommend a training plan that will take me from only two miles to a half-marathon? I have a bad knee, and it won't let me run more than every other day. Some of the plans I've seen have you running 5 days a week, which I can't do.

2. I am currently doing Stronglifts. Can I continue this while training for a half? Lifting is my love, but I want to run also. In my head, running Su, Tu, Th, and lifting M, W, F, rest on Sat makes sense. Is that an okay plan?

3. I have a race in mind next September that I for sure want to run. I'm not sure if I'd be ready for a half before then. Is it okay to start training now? Do I need to worry about "peaking" before my race in September, or does it not matter since I'm not looking to win it. I just want to finish it and feel like I'm not going to die. If I felt ready and found a race before September, that'd be cool too.

4. At what mileage do I need to start looking for things such as energy gels? Are those mostly for marathons?

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    When I trained for my first half several years ago I did a 16 week training program. My running schedule was:

Mon/Wed/Thurs/Sunday (long run). Monday was typically an easy run. Wednesday was either a tempo, easy or speed work, Thursday was a recovery run and Sunday was my long distance.

I also lifted 4 days a week. Monday was back, bi lower body; Tuesday was abs/chest/shoulders/tri's. Wednesday was just the run, Thurs. was bi/lower/back; Fri was abs/chest/shoulders/tri's.

You can most definitely keep up with your lifting and incorporate running into the mix as well.

I'm personally not a fan of the programs that have you running every single day. That's excessive even for a seasoned runner. You need a few rest days, especially if some of your runs are going to be particularly hard and the distances long.

I'd be willing to share my half marathon training program with you if you'd like (just disregard the paces that were set. I had a specific goal in mind when it was set up for me).

You can absolutely be in half marathon shape for your race in September even if you started training 16 weeks before. My husband is not a runner and ran every now and then and he was able to complete the half marathon using the training schedule that was made for us by our friend (he even finished it with plantar fasciitis! Although I did beat him :smile: )
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting to a point you can run 3 miles comfortably before starting a training plan. You have plenty of time to train for next September. After you are running 3 miles, look at Hal Higdon or Jeff Galloway's website for training plans. You can find plans from either site that let you run 3 days a week.

I also do strength training 3x a week and running 3x a week (training for a half). Same schedule as you are proposing.

Training plans incorporate peaklng and tapering so don't worry about that.

I never take a gel unless I plan on running for 90 minutes or more. I will take it after about 60 minutes of running to give it a little time to do it's job. I haven't been running long enough to require more gels than that but people take them 30, 45, or 60 minutes after the first one.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I do both. I'm on a heavy lifting routine in the gym 4 days a week and I also run 4 days a week a well. I found that if i space the workouts throught the day it really works best. On days where i do both i hit the gym early AM and refuel for the reat if the day ad do my run at night. Saturday is my long run day so i make sure to keep things like squats and deadlifts at least 3 days spaced out from my long run. I will say that runs after heavy leg days suck at first but it actually helps my recovery in the end. Guess it gets that blood and nutrients flowing back to thise muscles. This past Saturday I reached 17 miles at around 10 minute miles. I will say that the past 3 weeks in the gym have been disappointing and I'm not sure if its bc the distance running (15,16,17 miles) or its just time for a deload week. I am going to experiment in October to try to figure it out. I will say that I had no issues in the gym when my long runs were around the half marathon training distance.

I like what the previous poster said though, don't worry about a training program until you are comfortable with 3 miles. Also, I've never really taken any of the energy gel stuff on my runs but I do eat a good calorie amount before my long runs and stay as hydrated as possible.
  • AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Typically training plans will have time built in for strength/cross training. Both Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway's plans encourage walking breaks and they average 3-4 days of running a week. You do NOT have to run the entire thing without stopping. Walking breaks can actually help and that doesn't make you any less of a runner. Obviously the more you run, the better, but that doesn't mean you can stop every so often for a minute or two. That's perfectly fine and healthy.

Most plans require that you can go at least 3 miles, and since you did a 5K already, you should be fine. But plans are also built on a schedule, usually 12-16 weeks, so it's a little early to start "training" right now. I would just slowly build up mileage over the next few months and then start training seriously (following a plan religiously) at the end of the spring for a September race. Building up mileage and strength now would also help you transition more easily into a half training plan easier as well. Look up tactics for building your endurance and your speed and work on those during the fall and winter. That way you'll be in even better shape and have a better marathon time when you start training.

For energy gels, most of the time you use them when you're running 1+ hr. So that could be for a 10K, half, marathon, whatever. It takes me about 1hr 25 minutes to run a 10K, so I take a gel about halfway through, around the 45-50 minute mark.
  • JTick
    Options
    Ok so I get the feeling that I would probably benefit from using a 5k to 10k plan through the winter, and work my way to a comfortable 6 miles. This would also work since I typically only run outside, and sometimes through January/February don't get to run as much if there is ice out. Once the weather breaks, I could move on to a half-marathon plan and be ready by later summer/fall.

As far as being "comfortable" with 3 miles, does this mean I need to be able to run all of it? Walk some of it? Or just make that my normal distance instead of my long run?

ETA: I checked out Jeff Galloway's plan, and that looks like something that would work for me. Thanks for pointing me that way!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Great job on that first 5k! You can definitely continue to run and lift - it's even recommended. Strong muscles tend to help ward off injuries and muscle imbalance. There are many training plans available on the web. You should be able to find one that will accomodate your schedule. For a half marathon, 3-4 days of running a week is good. If you are interested in a run/walk program, I believe Jeff Galloway has designed plans utilizing that method. Just be careful not to increase your mileage too quickly. A 10% increase each week should be the max. Once you find a schedule that works for you, if you happen to miss a run, don't try to make it up. Just move forward with the next scheduled runs. Good luck!
  • AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It should be your normal distance. You should look at 3 miles and go "No problem." There are many ways to do this... there's no real right or wrong way, just the way that is best for you that doesn't get you injured! :)
  • k1214
    k1214 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i'm following a jeff galloway 18 week training plan for beginners. it's 3 days a week, walk/run. i found it on the rundisney.com site. good luck to you!
  • bfinup
    bfinup Posts: 47
    Options
    I used a plan from hal Higdon and did stronglifts. You may want to cut squats down to 2 days instead of three depending on the weight you're doing but that's up to you. Run slow, and realize you're legs will be tired and it will suck. But it is very doable.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think you are right to follow a 5k or 10k training program first, and see how that goes.
    As far as lifting goes, I think a little cross-training is one thing, and lifting heavy in the gym is another. I find it very hard to run well the day after a heavy day at the gym, and if you are going to do both you are going to have to run the day after or there are not enough days in the week. Eventually, if you want to run fast enough to do a half-marathon in a reasonable amount of time, you will probably find you have to cut back on the lifting while you train.
    That said, I lift and run. And, you are much younger than I am so it may be easier for you.
    Good luck
  • JTick
    Options
    I think you are right to follow a 5k or 10k training program first, and see how that goes.
    As far as lifting goes, I think a little cross-training is one thing, and lifting heavy in the gym is another. I find it very hard to run well the day after a heavy day at the gym, and if you are going to do both you are going to have to run the day after or there are not enough days in the week. Eventually, if you want to run fast enough to do a half-marathon in a reasonable amount of time, you will probably find you have to cut back on the lifting while you train.
    That said, I lift and run. And, you are much younger than I am so it may be easier for you.
    Good luck

Yes, I am worried I might run in to that problem. However, it seems that as long as I lift very consistently, I recover very well. Where I run in to problems is if I have to miss a day or two...that recovery completely sucks. I am feeling that right now actually after missing two weeks lifting due to being sick. Even my easy run yesterday just about killed me!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about building endurance while running. I've done a few 5ks and a Sprint Tri, but I just did it, I didn't train using a program.

I guess what you're doing is fine, I mean it looks good to me. The only thing I would mention is that Squatting and Deadlifting might not give your knees the time to rest between days where you run (not that it hurts them if done propertly), since you're going to be using them constantly.

Also, make sure you're eating enough calories. I wouldn't even think about going on a 7 day routine while cutting, you'll burn out quick.

Also, also, if you don't lift while you're doing all this aerobic excerise, you will loose some muscle mass over time as a result. Don't have to go crazy, but make sure you're lifting heavy.
  • JTick
    Options
    Ok so right now I'm eating 1800 calories and don't eat exercise back (TDEE - 15%). Should I just keep an eye on how much weight I'm losing and adjust accordingly? I still have about 40 lbs to go, so would like to drop about 1 lbs per week...Ideally I'd be finished losing weight and ready to maintain at least a few weeks before the half marathon. If I still have some weight to drop, I'd probably plan to maintain for the month leading up to the race.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    I'm really no expert, but you'll probably be fine training like this for a while and seeing how you feel. Don't run your body into the ground by undereating though. If you start feeling rundown consistently, consider chosing between the weight loss goals and the competition. I'm a man (my TDEE is higher) and I'm eating 1800 to cut at 1lb a week, and only lifting weights. You're probably at a pretty large deficit if you're not eating back calories, and it will grow the more you run.

Again, really I'm no expert, but I have to imagine you're feeling pretty beat, or that you will when the time comes.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Keep rocking; you're doing some great things man!

I'm not sure how closely you're following the starting lifts, but he says fairly clearly that you shouldn't be doing extended cardio on off days because it impacts your recovery. I swim still but I'm very early on and at fairly low weights. Also you'll need to be careful to maintain the deficit you think you're working on, cause that's a lot of exercise. I would consider lack of recovery time and not eating enough calories to be the main concerns that you'll need to monitor.

Otherwise, give her a go and see how it works out!
  • JTick
    Options
    Keep rocking; you're doing some great things man!

I'm not sure how closely you're following the starting lifts, but he says fairly clearly that you shouldn't be doing extended cardio on off days because it impacts your recovery. I swim still but I'm very early on and at fairly low weights. Also you'll need to be careful to maintain the deficit you think you're working on, cause that's a lot of exercise. I would consider lack of recovery time and not eating enough calories to be the main concerns that you'll need to monitor.

Otherwise, give her a go and see how it works out!

Woman :wink:

How will I know if I'm not recovering well? I pretty much always feel tired, but that's because I need to go to bed earlier. I don't really feel run down. Right now I'm trying to lift 3 days a week, and then run 2 miles 3 days a week. I'm squatting 150, deads are at 190 right now. I'm not making gains like I was, but I've been lifting about 9 months now, and I'm also dealing with the bad knee and a hip injury I incurred while lifting, and both of those have slowed my progress here lately. I'm comfortable with the weights I'm lifting...I am probably ready to increase them again, but honestly I'm also pretty happy where I am.

I guess you could say that I follow the guidelines of Stronglifts as far as exercises and sets go, but I'm not looking to compete in powerlifting competitions (yet!). My main goal is to not lose more LBM mass than totally necessary. I'm not wanting to bulk/cut or anything like that right now. I like slinging heavy weights around and lifting more than most boys at my gym, but I don't feel the need to deadlift 300#.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Instead of tired, think of "spent". If you feel spent all the time, consider eating more or changing your routine.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I would do some more races too, a couple 5ks, 10k, 10 mile? Just to get a feel for it. I am doing a 10 mile race Sunday and my longest training run was 11 miles. I haven't used any gel packs.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Woman :wink:

How will I know if I'm not recovering well? I pretty much always feel tired, but that's because I need to go to bed earlier. I don't really feel run down. Right now I'm trying to lift 3 days a week, and then run 2 miles 3 days a week. I'm squatting 150, deads are at 190 right now. I'm not making gains like I was, but I've been lifting about 9 months now, and I'm also dealing with the bad knee and a hip injury I incurred while lifting, and both of those have slowed my progress here lately. I'm comfortable with the weights I'm lifting...I am probably ready to increase them again, but honestly I'm also pretty happy where I am.

I guess you could say that I follow the guidelines of Stronglifts as far as exercises and sets go, but I'm not looking to compete in powerlifting competitions (yet!). My main goal is to not lose more LBM mass than totally necessary. I'm not wanting to bulk/cut or anything like that right now. I like slinging heavy weights around and lifting more than most boys at my gym, but I don't feel the need to deadlift 300#.

It's an expression :p

Set failure is one way and is probably the most telling. Once you start to fail your reps one of the suggestions is that it's because you're not fully recovering. If you're not trying to push more weight around and you're comfortable with your sets then it's fair to say that you're recovering fine for lifts.

Totally feel you on the knee. It was bad before, but I'm absolutely terrified of injuring it. Right now I'm only going up weeksies on my squats, but I can feel the support strengthening around it and at least it only twinges now, and only when I'm actually lifting. This just in: When you weight 300+ lbs, all squats are heavy weight.

Do you think your activity level is contributing to your knee inj?

Keep rocking (wo)man!