Between meals...

Options
I'm such a bad muncher between meals. It's not necessarily unhealthy things, I just find that I'm always hungry!

A munch, munch here... and a munch, munch there... here a munch... there a munch... EVERYWHERE A MUNCH, MUNCH!

How can I stop snacking so much?! And please don't say drink water because I drink loads of water and it doesn't help...

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,021 Member
    Options
    your food diary is not open to the public so it is hard to tell what is going on. Maybe you need to eat things that are more filling, maybe more protein. Maybe also if you chew gum you wont want to munch as much or if you keep yourself busy
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I took the advice of eating little and often (every 3 hours 5 x per day) and ensuring that I have lean protein with every meal. It does take a lot of forward planning but doing this has eliminated my hunger and has kept my energy levels constant (I no longer get those highs and lows).

Give it a try. It should do the trick. :flowerforyou:
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    i've found that drinking tea or coffee helps quite a bit, i still get a delicious flavor (which is really what i'm craving in the first place) but its much less caloric then most food.

a plus! if you drink tea with no sugar, honey, milk, or creamer, the majority of them are calorie free! its good for you too! :)

also sugar free gum is a great suggestion.

alllso celery takes more calories to chew then it has in it (such a silly food! XD i love it!) but you still feel like you get to munch on something when you get more then a flavor craving but an OM NOM NOM craving!

good luck with those munchies!
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    What I did was actually embrace snacking. No joke. Your metabolism will operate more efficiently if you actually eat six small meals rather then 3 large meals a day. My biggest problem was my meal portions were out of control and by making my meals smaller and snacking every 2 or 3 hours in the day I've lost 20lbs in 3 months. I know exactly how you feel because regardless of how big my meals were I was still hungry again in 2 or 3 hours. So rather then trying not to snack and starve yourself (which might even be worse then snacking) just make your meal portions smaller :smile:. Also focus on fibre and protein as they are both filling and help your metabolism fire on all cylinders
  • raychill007
    raychill007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think you should make the food diary public too - i'm religious about logging every single thing I eat, and imagining others being able to look at it and judge it helps prevent me from snacking too much!
    I also drinks lots of herbal teas, and i give myself times til my next snack - like after lunch i tell myself I can have tea at 3 o clock, and then gum at 4.30 and so on. Sometimes the time flies and I haven't remembered my treat and I delight in having 2 so close together - OK, clearly I'm a bad snacker too, having these gimmicks to prevent me does help though. And all the stupid water.
  • pange
    pange Posts: 82
    Options
    I agree that you should snack, as long as you reduce the size of your meals and choose healthy snacks. I eat mostly fruit or triscuits as snacks, and it works very well. Lean proteins would be good too.
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've made my diary viewable by friends only so if you fancy judging my dreadful eating habits then please add me as a friend!

:-)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Apples are good and filling! At night I have a Good Earth decaf Original tea in Sweet & Spicy - kills the cravings!
  • suchgreatheights91
    Options
    try to eat small snacks with protein AND fiber. the combination fills u up for longer. i like a piece of low sodium deli turkey with abit of mustard on a cracker that mom always has in the house.. idk what its called but its really thick and pretty big and around 50 cals. fills me up for a while. or try eating some pickles.. i eat them cause i need salt in my diet apparently.. my doctor says i have low blood pressure.. i faint a lot, but sodium makes me bloat.. anyway pickles are good cause they are low calorie and leave a taste in you're mouth so you dont keep eating
  • BlackSmith701
    Options
    I have the same issues. They it's good to eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones but i'm not so sure...
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do better eating 6 times a day, so I tend to eat often, on purpose. I call them mini-meals rather than snacks :D

High fiber/high protein mid-morning/mid-afternoon mini-meals are my favourite, and I also split my breakfast intake into two eating sessions at 6am and 8am.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    I'm such a bad muncher between meals. It's not necessarily unhealthy things, I just find that I'm always hungry!

A munch, munch here... and a munch, munch there... here a munch... there a munch... EVERYWHERE A MUNCH, MUNCH!

How can I stop snacking so much?! And please don't say drink water because I drink loads of water and it doesn't help...

Snacking healthy is good.. you keep your energy level stable as well as your blood sugar levels.. Therefore, your metabolism stays stable.
    You might be low on fiber==> which the first one that gives you the feeling of being full.. especially when you add water to it.. and may be some protein..
    If you are snacking, try incorporating some protein such as nuts (almonds, walnuts all raw) and add some dairy if you are ok with taking it such as Greek yogurt which will provide you with at least 15g of protein.. Munch on raw vegetables as they will give you fiber and other vitamins..