40lbs loss in time for my wedding in April

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm around 5'5 and weight 182lbs. I really want to drop another 42lbs in time for my wedding in April. This means my short term goal is to lose around 25-30lbs by December in time to find an appropriate wedding dress. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me? I'm already calorie counting and have been for a while, but the weight just won't budge. I even tried hypnosis! The gym didn't help much either though I admit I didn't maintain my efforts with that. If it helps, I have a wii fit at home, ankle/wrist weights, zaggora's and some mini dumbells. Welcoming any advice :)

Replies

• dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You will have fittings up until a week or so before your wedding. If you are consistently losing weight leading up to the shopping trip in December, then you can order it in a size smaller and know that it should fit when it comes in 2 months later. Then at that point you'll have 2-3 fittings at least so you can keep on losing. I had my dress taken in several times.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You should recommit to the gym. Start off slow - if you can muster cardio do cardio for 30 minutes every other day. Add in weights so you can have awesome looking arms in your pictures - three sets of biceps and triceps. Don't forget squats either!

I found that buying a food scale for portion sizes really opened my eyes. You have no idea how small 2 oz of spaghetti is until you put it on the scale (and then cry as you realize the portion that looks normal is like, three servings).

Also, in regard to dresses - some manufacturers can take up to 6 months to get your dress in. I got mine from Alfred Angelo and it took way less time than that (like only two months), but you never know - don't wait until the last minute to start looking.

Lastly, it is much easier for a seamstress to take a dress in than it is to let it out. More expensive designers leave more seam allowance than do cheaper designers, but even then there is not a lot of fabric there if it needs to be let out. Don't order one too small if you are not willing to commit to working out, dieting and making sure you reach your goal.
  • alanlmarshall
    Options
    I'd advise against an excessive workout program. Just do what's healthy, no workout is going to make you look different at your wedding. Also, avoid extreme dieting, aim to lose about a pound a week.
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate your calorie intake! That's a huge thing. I was doing that, but thought I was eating good. I recently started eating less calories, and tracking better and the weight has started to come off.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    40 pounds by April is probably doable. 25 pounds by December is probably not. Work with the "Bridal Salon" (or wherever you're ordering the dress from), to select a style that can be easily taken in or let out (just in case stress foils your intentions). I don't know what's "in" right now, but an empire waist tends to be more forgiving of weight fluctuations than a more fitted style (also depending on where you carry your excess weight).
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm around 5'5 and weight 182lbs. I really want to drop another 42lbs in time for my wedding in April. This means my short term goal is to lose around 25-30lbs by December in time to find an appropriate wedding dress. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me? I'm already calorie counting and have been for a while, but the weight just won't budge. I even tried hypnosis! The gym didn't help much either though I admit I didn't maintain my efforts with that. If it helps, I have a wii fit at home, ankle/wrist weights, zaggora's and some mini dumbells. Welcoming any advice :)

40lbs by April is doable.

If you've been calorie counting "for a while" (I'll go off of March '13) and the weight hasn't moved, you're probably off on your intake. I would advise against the wrist and ankle weights, and mini dumbells aren't going to help much either.

It sounds to me like you need to get your diet in order....calories in vs. calories out.

It would probably be helpful to make that diary public as well.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to do the same thing- I'm getting married this month on the 18th. I got engaged in February and wanted to lose at least 30lbs (was hoping for closer to 40) by my wedding day. Even though it was technically "do-able" I've only lost 20lbs as of today. It's much better than where I was before though!

My advice is to not hold yourself to a certain number. Just do what you can to lose as much as possible, in a healthy way. As mentioned before, recommit to the gym. Watch portion sizes and do some cardio. I also like doing strength training and yoga videos at home.

Start now and don't look back. I slipped up a few times in the beginning and didn't start logging regularly on MFP until the end of April. I lost steadily for a month, then plateaued for 3 months, even though I was still doing everything "right". So keep up what you're doing, because things will come up and you will have these set-backs! You'll be beautiful no matter what :)
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of reasons why you haven't seen results, for one, how long have you actually been at this?

Make sure you are counting ALL of you calories accurately. Invest in a food scale if you aren't already using one, this has helped me immensely!

If I were you I'd start the 30 Day Shred, it helped me make a habit of working out because it was easy to fit into my schedule and didn't kill me. I lost about 10 pounds in the first month and a half of doing it.
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    I ordered my wedding dress two sizes two small to FORCE myself to make healthy choices, exercise and lose weight. I've lost a little over 20 lbs in 4 months. It's possible, but remember the more you lose the harder it will be to lose those additional pounds. (The initial loss seems easy, then it usually slows down)

Good luck and congrats!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can give yourself a little bit more time than december to drop the weight. For your first fitting they will probably focus on the hem since that takes more time. Try to find a corset dress so that you have more leeway with the fit without having to rack up lots of money in adjustments. When you get your dress get one that fits at the time, you can always get it taken in but if you are not able to drop the weight or it does not come off in the places you expect it is really hard to let them out.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    if you're counting and not losing, you're counting something wrong.

weighing your food accurately?

set an appropriate goal? Since you're looking at 40 lbs, the "2lb per week" isn't gonna fit.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Don't give into ANY food compulsions!!!! Eat 1200-1500 a day and make it mostly healthy food. It is that easy. You have to really want it.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    It's possible but not in any kind of safe/sustainable way. With 40 lbs to lose you will not be losing 2 lbs/ week. It will be more like 1 lb / week until 20 (if your lucky) and the last 20 will be .5 / week. Unless you plan to starve yourself you should revisit your goals.

By December I'd say you will realistically drop 15 lbs (assuming you are bang on with everything) that will put you at 25 lbs to go. By which time it is not realistic to continue losing 1 lb / week. That leaves you about 20 weeks until April. Realistically I wouldn't expect to lose more than about 7 lbs. You might hit 25 lbs lost by April assuming you have no plateaus and have your calories exactly right.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Don't give into ANY food compulsions!!!! Eat 1200-1500 a day and make it mostly healthy food. It is that easy. You have to really want it.

1200-1500?

Her TDEE-15% is almost 1700 per day.
  • aishaalemdar3
    Options
    Wow a lot of mixed opinions here, but some encouraging advice... Thanks everyone.
  • alanlmarshall
    Options
    Don't give into ANY food compulsions!!!! It is that easy.

If it were that easy this site would not exist.