Need High Calorie Burning Workout Video Ideas

Options
Hi Guys! I just recently started working out. I went from never working out to waking up early 6 days a week to work out. Mon-Fri I usually can only work out for about 40 minutes though and I would ultimately like to burn about 400-500 calories per day from exercise. According to my Polar HRM I am only burning about 230 on the elliptical for 40 minutes. I am hoping to find a quick video I could do in the evenings that can help with this. The only problem is that I am on the 2nd floor of an apartment so hopefully trying to get ideas for something that doesn't require jumping but can burn some calories.

Replies

• bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    workouts to burn that many calories will almost always include jumping. Turbo fire is amazing. Just try to exercise at common hours of the day. Not way too early or super late as a courtesy to your neighbors.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com has hundreds of videos on YouTube and you can search and sort on their website by intensity, duration, etc. My suggestion: kickboxing. Intense and quiet.:drinker:
    Here is an example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFUxgIXEHAk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    *Approximately 326-578 cals burned according to their website.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The only thing burning more calories will do is allow you to eat more. MFP gives you a caloric intake to lose your goal amount of weight with no exercise, so when you exercise you are supposed to eat those cals back. So instead of eating 230 extra you would have to eat 400-500 extra, and you will achive the exact same weight loss per week.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I second TurboFire.
    And Insanity.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Insanity... When your neighbours aren't in!
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Cathe Friedrich (www.cathe.com), Michelle Dozois, or Turbofire
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your calorie burn will depend on your fitness level and your weight.

If you are just starting out and cannot sustain that high a workout intensity, then you will have to be content with the calories you burn--or else increase the minutes.

There is no "quick" tape or workout you can just pop in and substantially increase your calorie burn. If you try a high-intensity workout and don't have the fitness level to perform the exercises then you will either: poop out and not be able to do the exercises or have to modify the movements to make them less intense to match your fitness level.

In either case, you will end up burning roughly the same calories you are burning now--because that's what your fitness level allows you to do.
  • AnaVerasGettingFit
    AnaVerasGettingFit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Get some intervals in on your elliptical. That may help burn more than what you're seeing right now if you're just doing steady state. If you can find a used spin bike with a flywheel, those are great, too. It won't affect your neighbors and you will burn those calories like crazy if you like to push yourself. TRUST. -- Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred is great starter for a nice burn, too -- you will obvi have to skip the jumping jacks, though. But everything else is real good like all the squats, and upper and lower body stuff they do simultaneous. You can usually find it on YouTube if you want to check it out. Do not feel let down when you don't burn the amount of calories you'd like in the timeframe mentioned. You'll still burn more throughout the day than had you not worked out.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    kettlercise hunni, have a nosey on youtube for vids but throwing a kettlebell around will burn some serious cals and requires no jumping (lots of squats though)
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender on Youtube has a couple of 1000 calorie workouts. They are pretty good.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    collagevideo.com is a really good resource for looking up DVDs. You get video clips, reviews (professional & amateur) equipment required is listed, impact level, choreography level .....loads of info

I agree with previous posts .....high impact generally burns more calories. For low impact and higher burns.............step aerobics...... this burns more calories for me, and is fairly quite.

Cathe DVDs are generally advanced ..... she does have a low impact series too..... and also step DVDs.

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/cathe-friedrich-exercise-videos-13
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Does your apartment have stairs? Run 'em!

ETA: Check out ZWOW on YouTube. Short, intense workouts, though they often have things like burpees or jump squats. Still might be worth checking out, though.