Eating the right amount

Options
samammay
samammay Posts: 468
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Has anyone else found that its much harder to hit the right amount than it is to either eat too much or too little?

Obviously eating too much is pretty easy. Thats what landed most of us here. In my first 60 days I found that eating too little is pretty easy too. Ive lost a lot, but way too fast considering I dont have *that* much to lose.

Ive been trying to adjust my daily net up a few hundred but am finding the undereating habits tough to break.

I dont really have a question... just tossing thoughts out there.

Replies

• Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I find the same thing. I keep a fairly diversified diet so my days are often lower and sometimes higher than my goal intake. I rarely am right at the line. I try and look a bit more at the weekly intake and keep under that amount. When I am having a good week, I find there is nothing wrong with treating myself to a little extra something or other that I like. Most weeks lately I am 2000-4000 calories (net) under my weekly goal.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

Many thanks for your posting. I agree.

I try not to achieve a particular number.
    I am at Maintenance now so I am OK if I do not have a caloric deficit. I tried to avoid a surplus bigger than 10% so I do not repeat history.

If I do eat above and my body weight increases, I go back to calorie deficit by al least 10%, maybe 15% if I can burn more calories.

Good luck in your journey
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I am usually about +/- 50 calories where I want to be for the day. I find that pre logging or planning out a few days in a row helps me with this, as I can adjust what I am doing to eat based on where my calories are...
  • DerArschHut
    Options
    I struggle with this too, coming from the "need to bulk" side of things. For many years, I was used to skipping breakfast, eating fast food for lunch, and eating something decent for supper or else more fast food. Basically, low volume/high calorie days with some low volume/low calorie days in between.

After cutting out fast food, junk food, and sodas, i found that i had eliminated pretty much all of my caloric intake!

So while i try to move towards whole foods, i have to battle with the fact that nutritious food typically is high volume/low calorie (fruits, vegetables, oats, rice) ... big change over. trying to change my appetite has been interesting.

ndj is right though, for me the best days are when i preplan and stick to it. I don't do well and tend to undereat when i'm off it. I think this is because of my natural portion undersizing tendency. Naturally this sucks for someone wanting to add about 30 lbs, preferably mostly muscle.

I need someone telling me what to eat everyday, then i'd be golden!
This discussion has been closed.