106 pounds and 12 inches lost in 6 months ** Pic Heavy **

Options
On March 14, 2013 I began my weight loss journey at 362 pounds, the heaviest I have ever been and worst I have ever felt. All of my vitals were completely abnormal and I could not walk one city block without having wracking pain almost everywhere in my body. It was time to become a new person, inside and out. I was obese because I used food like an antidepressant and stolidly refused to seek professional treatment. The time came on a dreary March afternoon where I walked into the University of Pennsylvania's Albert J. Stunkard Weight Management Program and asked for help. I knew I could go no further. Here is me at 362 pounds.

[img]http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/mattschwartz01/Weight Loss/362lbs_zps4071181b.jpg[/img]

So, under the expert, professional, and concerned guidance that included a medical team and nutrition team, a plan was formulated. The expediency of losing weight became very important as the primary concern was that a heart attack could be eminent. I was placed on a completely decision-free nutrition program which consisted of shakes and pre-packaged foods by HMR (Health Management Resources.) The first few weeks were long the nightmarish as my body adjusted from eating close to 10,000 calories a day to 1,800. This certainly was not easy but I had the support of both the program and my truly awesome friends here on MFP. I noticed my physical pain and mental anguish starting to fade into the background.

[img]http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/mattschwartz01/Weight Loss/330lbs_zps7c17ba8f.jpg[/img]

Above is me at 330 lbs (32 pounds lost) after about 6 weeks on the program. I didn't see a physical difference but I knew I was much, much happier. At 330 lbs, I hit a stumbling block because the joint pain suddenly came back and came back strong because I was pushing myself a bit at physical activity. An MRI of my right knee revealed bone-on-bone but I was not going to quit - I had come too far and endured too much. One of my friends, Coffeeholic8, is a Certified Spinning(R) Instructor and after reading about his exploits on the spin bike, I made the choice to walk into a spin class at the gym. At the time, I made the choice, I decided I was going to do this positively with self-encouragement and self-love. So on my first spin class, I managed to meet the simplest goal: to stay on the bike. I rode a wave of good feeling the rest of the day and became hopelessly hooked.

As I started taking spinning classes, I noticed myself becoming more athletic and to be developing the coordination to do gentle standing climbs and soon began to be able to increase the tension and RPMs. One evening, towards the middle of May, I felt ready to take on road biking so I scoured Craigslist for a reasonable Cannondale as my research came up with it being one of the stoutest frames on the market. I knew I did not want a mountain bike because I had one years ago and did not like it, So, at 316 pounds my local bike shop - **Here is a huge shoutout to Sean, Chris, and TJ at Bean's Bikes in West Chester, Pennsylvania. This is the place to go for all of your biking needs** - built a rugged set of touring wheels and professionally fit the bike to me. I started slowly on 5-6 mile rides, all the time congratulating myself for just putting out the effort.

At 297 pounds, I completed my first distance ride on the first Saturday in July. I managed to ride 40 miles in 6 hours over hilly terrain. I had done it!

[img]http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/mattschwartz01/Weight Loss/297lbs_zps8fd839c9.jpg[/img]

Then, this pic below is at 285 pounds having just completed my longest ride to date, a 68 miler.
[img]http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/mattschwartz01/Weight Loss/285lbs_zps1fa2cca1.jpg[/img]

Finally, fast forward to October 1st, and I now regularly ride for more than 50 miles at a time with my longest continuous push being 90 miles. I tried to make my first century (100 miler) this year but was not quite there yet. No doubt next season, it will be in the cards. Below is a picture of me at 256 pounds.

[img]http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad50/mattschwartz01/Weight Loss/256lbs_zpsb32efb97.jpg[/img]

If I can do this, it is within the realm of ANYONE to achieve. It take heart, positivity, and a dogged determination. While at it, you might as well love the journey and love what you discover about yourself. I'm still not quite at goal weight yet because being lighter makes bicycling easier but I'm in no hurry, I'm just going to trend downward. Also at this point, I eat regular food and plan my meals. I still use the HMR shakes because they taste so good at breakfast. I see my dietitian once a week. Here's to logging for life!

Replies

• mishlll
    mishlll Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just plain awesome! Very proud of you!!!:happy:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    So stinking proud of you! Just for the record, I got to meet him in person and he is just as awesome in real life as he is on here! ROCK ON MATT!
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Matt! You look good. I am proud of you sir!!
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Outstanding work and determination!!!! Congrats on a job well done!!
  • christykirby
    christykirby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow - way to go! You are such an inspiration.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Totally amazing!!
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    What a rockstar! Good for you!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :noway:

Awesome job.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    amazing!!! and inspiring. thank you for sharing!!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You have my heartiest congratulations!
    I believe you have saved your own life over these past 6 months.
    My best wishes for the rest of your Weight Loss Journey. :flowerforyou:
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Wow, so inspiring!! Great job on all your hard work and for pushing yourself!

My favourite part might be at the end when you mention that you should love the journey as well.. I think that speaks volumes :) Congrats!
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Amazing job with your weight-loss journey. You're a really good storyteller, btw.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    That's incredible! Awesome work, and very inspiring!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! You look great and I'm sure you feel even better! Cheers!
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Totally amazing!!!!!
  • mandelay1
    mandelay1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a great story! Congrats!
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This is amazing, congrats!!! I'm in PA too and actually work at HUP so that made me smile, haha.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This is amazing, congrats!!! I'm in PA too and actually work at HUP so that made me smile, haha.

Sweet! I had a surgery at HUP earlier this year!
  • mikemsu
    mikemsu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a super awesome job so far!!! I'm on a very similar journey and have felt so amazing with so much weight gone. Keep it up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!