Skip carbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You kind of need carbs, although it is okay to go low carb, meaning you get them from green veggies and other more healthier sources. I'm doing keto and I try to keep my net carbs under 30, under 25 if I can help it.
  • floridared
    floridared Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Great to hear you are just eliminating bad carbs. Good carbs (fruits,vegetables beans) are good for you and needed by the body. Wishing you the best.
  • Visique
    Visique Posts: 23
    Options
    dont do it captain!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you cut them down to the point of going into ketosis there can be a rough week or two where your body adjusts. You might want to read up on that, especially if you start feeling fatigued, get headaches (hint: drink lots of water if this happens), or have any other odd symptoms.

I go in and out of ketosis quite easily now however, with few or no symptoms.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys. I do only mean carbs like pasta, rice, bread, potatos and so. I do eat oatmeal, fruit, veggies and nuts. But I Believe those might be the good carbs.

We call that cognitive dissonance
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Did you get all your protein for the day? Enough micronutrients? And enough fats?

Then eat whatever you want for the rest of your calories.

And btw there are three ESSENTIAL macronutrients. Fats, protein, and ice cream.
  • elainereeder37
    Options
    My cardiologist has me on a diet that will only allow 20g of carbohydrates. It's perfectly acceptable. I'd recommend investigating South Beach or finding a copy of "The New Atkins for the New You" to learn more about how that type of diet works. Whatever you do, though, you have to make some of those changes permanent (which is why it's good to look at the books - they teach you how to transition to the healthiest eating plan for life).

Good luck!
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just got to tell you that it is scientifically proven that carbs are part of the human diet. Carbs give us energy. There are a mimimum amount of carbs needed daily to maintain health. There is no point in being skinny and ill. Without carbs you will eventually die so keep on with the vegetables if you want to stay well.

So that being said there are good and bad carbs. Good ones are the starches like potatoes and rice. Bad ones are things like processed sugars, white breads shortenings and trans fats etc - in other words junk foods.

If you are going to skip carbs and go into ketosis to lose weight - when you do you will actually be ill

Just stick to the approved amounts of good carbs and be careful that you do not overdose on protein. Doctor Robert Atkins dide because he slipped on his steps going into his office. But when they did the autopsy they discovered - guess what? heart disease. It is quite difficult to come back from heart disease. Try looking up J McDougall MD of Santa Rosa (on line) for the proof

It is up to you - but you did ask
  • WilliamD80
    WilliamD80 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have done the low/no carb diet and was VERY successful. After a while I just felt like crap all the time. Now days I simply eat anything I want and keep my calories below maintenance if I want to lose. I think I am doing C/P/F of 40/20/40 which seems to work for me on days that I hit them. I'm just more of a moderation guy these days. I get broccoli instead of cheese fries when I go out and just make the best semi-healthy decisions I can.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    it's fine, but why would you want to? They're tastey and filling all at the same time.
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    By the way, the elephant is a large animal with very great ivory tusks. It drinks water and eats carbs - that is all it eats and I dont see any fat elephants around Do You? You can find most of the enzymes and vitamins you need in the humble potato - which is the storehouse of the plant. Have a look around Asia to see how many fat people there are - they all eat rice and only get fat when they adopt the Western diet
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think you're able to get by without them... but I'm confused as to why you'd want to cut them completely.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    By the way, the elephant is a large animal with very great ivory tusks. It drinks water and eats carbs - that is all it eats and I dont see any fat elephants around Do You?

While I realize your point is that carbs aren't evil, elephant nutrition is a completely different animal, ya know?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Just got to tell you that it is scientifically proven that carbs are part of the human diet. Carbs give us energy. There are a mimimum amount of carbs needed daily to maintain health. There is no point in being skinny and ill. Without carbs you will eventually die so keep on with the vegetables if you want to stay well.

So that being said there are good and bad carbs. Good ones are the starches like potatoes and rice. Bad ones are things like processed sugars, white breads shortenings and trans fats etc - in other words junk foods.

If you are going to skip carbs and go into ketosis to lose weight - when you do you will actually be ill

Just stick to the approved amounts of good carbs and be careful that you do not overdose on protein. Doctor Robert Atkins dide because he slipped on his steps going into his office. But when they did the autopsy they discovered - guess what? heart disease. It is quite difficult to come back from heart disease. Try looking up J McDougall MD of Santa Rosa (on line) for the proof

It is up to you - but you did ask

Um, I've been doing keto for almost three months now. I'm not ill. In fact, I've never felt better. I'm also down over 20 lbs. Take your fear-mongering elsewhere.
  • SPPutnam
    SPPutnam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is get individualized advice from a medical professional. I used to be on a diet that allowed no more than 100 g of carbs per day in order to put the body into ketosis. Now, as a pre-diabetic, that is VERY dangerous for me and my doctor and nutritionist worked to craft a plan that works for ME at my weight. Since being on a regimented lifestyle change that INCLUDES ice cream, bread, and donuts (on occasion) with a lot of healthy green leafy vegetables and an hour of exercise a day, I've lost about 25 pounds in the last 2-3 months. The key for me was working with professionals.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Did you get all your protein for the day? Enough micronutrients? And enough fats?

Um, that's four: fat, protein, ice cream and BEER!

@ The OP: Cutting out carbs like bread and pasta is a great way to cut calories. I don't know why anyone would do it by choice though! There really is no other health benefit to it. I'm pre-diabetic, and I still eat some bread rice and pasta.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    By the way, the elephant is a large animal with very great ivory tusks. It drinks water and eats carbs - that is all it eats and I dont see any fat elephants around Do You?

I'm looking around, and I don't see any skinny elephants here either :wink:
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

Um, that's four: fat, protein, ice cream and BEER!

@ The OP: Cutting out carbs like bread and pasta is a great way to cut calories. I don't know why anyone would do it by choice though! There really is no other health benefit to it. I'm pre-diabetic, and I still eat some bread rice and pasta.

No sorry, beer is not essential. I know lots of healthy people on gin only
  • Canman51
    Options
    By the way, the elephant is a large animal with very great ivory tusks. It drinks water and eats carbs - that is all it eats and I dont see any fat elephants around Do You? You can find most of the enzymes and vitamins you need in the humble potato - which is the storehouse of the plant. Have a look around Asia to see how many fat people there are - they all eat rice and only get fat when they adopt the Western diet

Your observation is out of date. I have lived in asia for 20 years and there are plenty of overweight people around these days.
    You are correct in saying its because of western influences such as all the crap american fast food that has popped up everywhere. Here in Singapore i can get a big mac home delivered 24/7. In Thailand its the same, vietnam is fast catching up. The indo's and malays have always had a diet high in sugars and fats and have always been on the heavy set side in general.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    No sorry, beer is not essential. I know lots of healthy people on gin only

:laugh:

POTD.