HELP Not able to get upto to my calorie recommended

Options
I've been on this site since May 25 and to date I have lost 35 lbs. I have never logged my food intake until today, I have just tried my hardest to cut calories as much as possible period.

When I finally entered my food today I notice that I have about 600 calories left to eat today but am not hungry. I feel full and satisfied.
Is this a bad thing? Should I force myself to eat more?

Thanks for your input everyone.

Replies

• nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Find something small packed with a lot of calories. Nuts are always a good place to start.
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I will usuallly have calories left at the end of the day by the time I figure in my exercise calories (which they say you're supposed to eat back). If you're still losing weight, then you're probably ok. I've read that if you're not taking in enough calories that this will put your body into starvation mode and your body will hang onto the weight. Since you're only 5 pounds form your goal weight (Congrats!!) it sounds like you're doing the right things.
  • apehead1
    apehead1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Is it important to use all the calories or can I just leave as is?
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    it depends on what your caloric intake is, how much of it is work out calories. what kinds of foods you have been eating.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Are you getting at least 1200 calories? I notice if I eat less than that I get the little message from MFP about not eating enough. If I exercise and burn 600 calories (for example) I would have 1800 calories (when added to my daily allowance of 1200) for the day. Say I eat 1350 which leaves 450 calories left. If I'm hungry I may have something else but if not I don't. While I still have 450 calories left I have eaten over the 1200. I think as long as you are getting at least the 1200 and otherwise feel good you are probably just fine.
  • apehead1
    Options
    I opened my diary so people can see what I've eaten today, I haven't had the popcorn yet but it's included and will have that tonight.

i only did 180 calories of exercise today food today has been 828 calories says i have 552 calories left even if I put some more fruit in there I still won't use all the calories
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Well my doctor has told me NOT to eat my exercise calories & to try to stick to 1000 calories (that would probably be 1200 for a man) & at last I am losing weight. You are already losing so I would suggest not to force yourself to eat more if you aren't hungry surely it doesn't make sense? Some of what is said about starvation mode is a myth.Some days I have to eat half my exercise calories others I don't & I think at last I am listening to my body & finally it is working. Well done on your success great job.
  • lsand
    lsand Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary for today. I eat that much food in one meal! You may want to add some more lean protien, fruits and veggies and dairy. I think your body needs more to get the nutrients it needs for optimal function. You should probably not eat below 1200 on a daily basis. I guess as long as you feel well and don't eat like that long term, it should be fine. You look great!
  • apehead1
    Options
    Thanks for the input so far, It's hard to tell but for example in the spinach salad there is carrots radishes mushrooms green onion celery zuchinni pepper hot pepper rings same in the chicken mushroom fair bit of vegtables as well.

I guess the confusion for me comes from what I read about your body going into starvation mode.
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For a male you hould be eating at least 300-1500 cals going below 1200 is extreamly bad for your heart. I would try to at least get up to 1300.....I agree you should try small things high in calories nuts are good, and fruits.....you look great, but you need to take care of the inside to be healthy too.......just my opinion=)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be worried so much about starvation mode as i would nutrition deprivation. How in the world can you possibly be fueling your body on 800 calories a day (as a male). I assume you're not 5 yrs old or bedridden? I'd be shaky, nauseous, and sleepy as heck eating that.

I would eat some nutrient dense foods such as lean chicken, almonds, peanut butter, cheese, milk, and add some olive oil to stuff. Just a little goes a long way - ie: 1 oz (28 nuts) of almonds is 170 calories...but packed full of healthy stuff.
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 35lb loss. :happy:
    I am not an expert and I've only lost 10 lbs so I really have no good input , I have the same issue, most days I can't hit my calorie allotment. BUT I can't imagine how a 40 yr old man can survive on 800 calories and not feel like a limp rag. I know your loosing great amounts of weight, but I really think you need to eat more.
    I think it might be a good idea to add in some lean protein.
    Good Luck
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    I concur with other responses some lean protein is needed & apparently too little protein leads to water retention so may be some chicken or turkey on the salad?