When to exercise?

Hello peeps,
I am a 26 year old guy, weighing 74Kgs - 5'7 feet. I am aiming for a lean- muscular body. I usually workout for 15-20 mins daily in the morning but i don't get good results by just following this routine. I want to workout in between working hours or in the nights before sleep.
Should i worry about doing exercises prior to dinner (at least an hour gap) or things like don't walk after eating because it interferes with the digestion process . What i am saying is, i love to eat and eat a lot and i am ready to burn it by doing exercises at any time during my day but not sure if this is good or bad?

I will appreciate any suggestions!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You should exercise whenever you are at your most optimal performance...otherwise timing doesn't matter. Your actual routine and consistency are all that really matter.

15-20 minutes is better than nothing, but not much of a workout really. You need at least 30 for a solid weight training program...probably closer to 45 and up to 60ish minutes. 30-45 minutes for a cardio routine is fine.

What kind of routine are you doing? Aquiring a fitness body means living a fitness life. As far as being lean goes, that's largely diet.
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    The time of day doesn't matter.

15-20 minutes isn't enough, especially if you "eat a lot".

Eat less and exercise more.

That's it.
  • My routine includes push ups, sit ups, dumbbells and skipping.
    I am not targeting a lean body but want to get rid of fat (convert it into muscle weight). Additionally i try to go for a walk with my dog and play 2-3 games of badminton.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    My routine includes push ups, sit ups, dumbbells and skipping.
    I am not targeting a lean body but want to get rid of fat (convert it into muscle weight). Additionally i try to go for a walk with my dog and play 2-3 games of badminton.
    fat doesn't "convert" into muscle and bodyweight programs can only carry you so far.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Good luck. Enough said. Good luck getting that muscular body in 15-30 min per day!
  • Why aren't you weight lifting if you want a toned body?

I do dumbbells! Isn't that enough?
  • trogalicious
    Why aren't you weight lifting if you want a toned body?

I do dumbbells! Isn't that enough?
    no.
  • fat doesn't "convert" into muscle and bodyweight programs can only carry you so far.
    Sorry i didn't get you? Can you put some more light
  • trogalicious
    Check these two links out:

http://startingstrength.com/
    http://stronglifts.com/

pick one, give it a good thorough read, make sure you warm up properly.. and get going!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    The timing of your exercise isn't going to prove to make much of a difference. It's all about preference and what works for you in your schedule.

Much more important than the timing of your exercise is what you do when you exercise. Whether that is taking a run or lifting heavy objects, it should challenge you and help you achieve a fitness goal, for instance be able to squat x amount or run x miles in x time. If your only goal for exercising is burning calories, then quite honestly, that's a complete waste of your time.

When it comes to weight management, the first and best way to balance your calories is by how much you are eating. Do not rely on exercise to create the calorie deficit.

In summary, cut calories to lose fat and get lean, lift weights to get stronger and/or build muscle, and run around to improve your cardiovascular health.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    You should exercise whenever you are at your most optimal performance...otherwise timing doesn't matter. Your actual routine and consistency are all that really matter.

15-20 minutes is better than nothing, but not much of a workout really. You need at least 30 for a solid weight training program...probably closer to 45 and up to 60ish minutes. 30-45 minutes for a cardio routine is fine.

What kind of routine are you doing? Aquiring a fitness body means living a fitness life. As far as being lean goes, that's largely diet.

This
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    I'm callin' it...
    Troll_doll.jpg
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    I'm callin' it...
    Troll_doll.jpg

TROLL!