How is the gov. shutdown affecting you specifically?

Options

Replies

• almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    for me, it means people want to talk about this as a topic of conversation and i'd really rather not discuss it. so i find that annoying. it's awful.
    Well twerking still seems to be trending, if that helps.

ooooo excellent idea...thanks!
    *lights candles and takes out bacardi 151*
    rock on!
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I can finally take a break from paying taxes for those on welfare that abuses it.:devil:
    No, Congress is still getting paid.

Ugh I forgot about them morons.

Ha! I wish! Unfortunately taxes still have to be paid regardless of whether or not the government shuts down. Hoooray for quarterlies!!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    So far it hasn't affected me directly but I know it's just a matter of time.

On a not-that-important note, my fiancé and I are getting married in two weeks and our wedding trip was supposed to include two park sites that will probably be shut down because of it :-/
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Twerk-Fire.gif
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    My husband is suppose to get paid (military) but we hear he wont get all of it which will make it where we cant pay all our bills. So very nervous.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My husband gets service related disability. It's taken over 10 months for them to put our daughter back on as a dependent ... maybe it'll take an additional 10 months for them to finish because of the shut down? We were told about a "year" under last years "normal" circumstances, so I wasn't counting on it any day soon. (Because the government has proven so functional in this regard I am excited/terrified to see what lies ahead for healthcare....)

We are blessed that my husband can support us without it, but it does effect the amount we are able to give to charity and church, and if the shut down goes on long enough It could effect if we decide to keep health insurance or just pay the penalty and pay doctors cash for my daughter and I.... this also depends on how much our premiums are going to go up (waiting to find that one out.)
    which also depends on our severely dysfunctional government.

I don't know if his service disability check will come next month, but it would be worth it for us to not get it .... EVER AGAIN if that would actually mean a balanced budget and leaner government. That would require sacrifice from everyone because as a country we've been living a bit too beyond our means for a bit too long, so I doubt that will happen.
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    it isn't. Me personally, let the shutdown last for uhmmmm, a few months.:bigsmile: Then again, why shutdown.:wink: Debt will never go away.:bigsmile: ooorah.
  • april27kelli
    april27kelli Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really affect me personally... but it is affecting my parents. My mom is a federal employee (CDC) so she won't be getting a paycheck... she isn't allowed to use any of her vacation time either...
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    For doing their job?

Congressmen are supposed to represent the people that elected them. If they ran and won on a platform that says their constituents want them to represent their issues and it results in a standoff, then they are doing their job. If they are being told in letters and phone calls by their constituents that they need to stand their ground, then they need to do that.

It's not like the senate where they aren't necessarily there to listen to the voice of the people as much as represent what is best for the country as a whole.

I think the problem comes from the great schism in the general population that allows these clowns to get elected to congress in the first place. Rural vs. urban, and conservative vs. liberal see things too diametriccally opposed for the House to get anything done.

^THIS! It's nice to see at least 1% of our population understands how our Representative Republic is "supposed" to work.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Perhaps some people don't realize the overall economic impact the government shutdown is having and where the ripples will end. If affects everyone. Some feel the impacts immediately, such as those who came to work so they could civilly fill out the necessary documents in order to be booted out thereafter. Do you think foreclosed homes aren't going to affect the overall economy? Because these people aren't going to be able to make their payments, despite still being on the books as having a "good" job. So they can't collect unemployment. This is just the tip of the iceburg and the whole thing makes me sick.

Complacencies unite.

Willful ignorance is what I see in a lot of these postings. And that is the WORST kind of ignorance.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My husband is suppose to get paid (military) but we hear he wont get all of it which will make it where we cant pay all our bills. So very nervous.

So sorry to hear that. Your husband, as a military member, should get first dibs. It's not the way it is, since the pissing contest going on between our elected officials is at an all time high.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping it doesn't affect things. but it might affect my fiance and my's ability to tie the knot on Halloween. I'm hoping it doesn't though.
  • Chrisschumm
    Options
    its making me really want to move to Australia...or some other warm beach-like place not associated with america's retarded government.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm not being spied on by the NSA anymore!

Oh wait.
  • ELMunque
    ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Perhaps some people don't realize the overall economic impact the government shutdown is having and where the ripples will end. If affects everyone. Some feel the impacts immediately, such as those who came to work so they could civilly fill out the necessary documents in order to be booted out thereafter. Do you think foreclosed homes aren't going to affect the overall economy? Because these people aren't going to be able to make their payments, despite still being on the books as having a "good" job. So they can't collect unemployment. This is just the tip of the iceburg and the whole thing makes me sick.

Complacencies unite.

Willful ignorance is what I see in a lot of these postings. And that is the WORST kind of ignorance.

Agreed. I am not a GS employee, I'm contracted, but I work with a lot of GS and they are hurting and afraid to spend any money at all right now, if this goes on long enough me and my husband, who is also contracted could lose our jobs. We have 6 kids, fortunately for us we bought our house as a fixer upper and don't have a terribley high mortgage payment, but having to take jobs making minimum wage to keep our family warm and dry doesn't leave much money left over to keep them fed as well. I don't know how much obama care is going to affect our premium payments yet, but if it goes up much more it'll be cheaper for us to pay the annual fee. I pay out the ars every month for insurance already. I understand standing their ground against it, but lots of people are suffering because of it. Some more than others, even if it's just having to stand in line for hours at walmart because there are so many more people there due to the commissary closing, this will eventually affect most people if it goes on long enough.
  • YogaLegs87
    Options
    Bothered that the hiking trip I had planned for the weekend is up in the air.. but maybe my group of friends and I will just climb right into the park the way people are climbing into the WWII memorial in DC. Ha!
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options

So sorry to hear that. Your husband, as a military member, should get first dibs. It's not the way it is, since the pissing contest going on between our elected officials is at an all time high.

Thanks. I feel bad cause he is so stressed while working away from home because his money might not pay for everything. Hard when your only 1 income!
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm just an ignorant backwoods mainer:embarassed: , so I've no clue what's being commented :ohwell: . I do get some major laughs from many of the posts, and for that, I thank you. :bigsmile:
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options

Complacencies unite.

This is exactly right!