Why isn't this working?

Options
So, this is a cross between a vent and a post looking for some advice.

2 months ago, I broke down and joined a gym. I say broke down because, when you're living paycheck to paycheck, gym memberships are killer on the budget. But I joined. I also changed my eating habits. I don't eat chips, I rarely drink soda, I quite going to starbucks so often, I don't buy snacks. I eat toast, sometimes eggs for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, and a healthy, homemade dinner. I usually have some sort of afternoon snack- yogurt, grapes, something along those lines.

I wouldve thought, working out 3-4 days a week and changing my eating habits I wouldve seen some sort of changes within 2 months. Granted, I don't log, I am going to start again, but I know I'm eating better than I was. And before I joined the gym, my wait was the same for months, I wasn't gaining. BUT I haven't lost 1 lb. Not one. Not even an inch either. Somethings gotta give!

Replies

• Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    You're working out more so you're probably hungrier than when you're not working out. Calories are the bottom line and despite eating healthier you might still be eating more than your body needs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    You weren't tracking, so you're probably no in calorie deficit. Just eating "better" doesn't solve a weight issue if calories aren't addressed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is more about a reasonable deficit AND proper nutrition.
    So none of it means anything unless you eat healthier at a deficit.
  • MrsCamp2013
    MrsCamp2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I never looked at it that way. I guess when I start religiously logging I will see if that's the case or not
    You're working out more so you're probably hungrier than when you're not working out. Calories are the bottom line and despite eating healthier you might still be eating more than your body needs.
  • MrsCamp2013
    MrsCamp2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I guess this is more of a reality check. I guess I was almost hoping I wouldn't have to count calories, that I could workout and eat better and get results. Makes me feel a little naive.
    You weren't tracking, so you're probably no in calorie deficit. Just eating "better" doesn't solve a weight issue if calories aren't addressed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised how quickly healthy calories add up.

Handful of almonds here, avocado there, grapes, fruit, cheese, meats...
    You're suddenly at 2500 calories -all healthy, but that won't make a bit of difference
    in the weight loss game. Must eat at a deficit.

Be meticulous in your tracking and you will see results - if not, you can at least get an idea of the changes you need to make!

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Eating "healthier" is awesome...but it doesn't guarantee a calorie deficit. I eat "healthy"...lots of nutritionally dense foods...lots of veg and fruit, lean proteins, healthy fats...I eat about 2800 - 3000 worth of that stuff to maintain weight. Moral of the story, getting your nutrition on doesn't always mean you're getting your calorie deficit on...especially ifyou're working out...when you work out, your body wants more energy...i.e. calories...ie more food.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    . Granted, I don't log,

This is why it isn't working. You're expecting results without doing the required work.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is more about a reasonable deficit AND proper nutrition.
    So none of it means anything unless you eat healthier at a deficit.

It means something, eating healthy food and exercising are beneficial on their own. You just won't lose body fat.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Double post