Calling all RUNNERS! Marathoners or beginners!

Options

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    How did everyone get started? Did you use a program? Where are you now?

I see lots of questions about running on here and I started to wonder everyone's story. I think it will help motivate me and others!

I started using the Zombie Run 5k app. I loved it and kept going. I love the way you start really slow and build confidence. Then one day you find the run over and that you can keep going! I am now doing the Zombie Run app and still loving it. I started because at the end of the day I just needed a way to get ride of stress (and calories) and I needed something that could just shake off all that stress. Running did it!

I started with c25k in June 2012 ( my 5th and final attempt as I kept quitting, it was just ''too hard''), and just kept going, by May 2013 I had completed my first marathon.

But I did invest in correctly fitted running shoes right from day one.

Building up mileage gradually is what worked for me, and as well as weight loss, running was free therapy for me :-)

Good luck and congrats and keep going!
  • sassabella
    Options
    Yeah I really want to do a half marathon next year but I'm definitely only at a 5k kind of point at the moment. A lot of work to be done! I ran the B2B in September in 33 minutes which is my PB but I realise that isn't really too great. If anyone has any good tips or articles for interval training or on how to build up km's that would be awesome :)

Hal Higdon has some great plans. Try fartlek training once a week, too. It's SO MUCH FUN

Thanks!!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I started through the Air Force (yes, we run). Our PT program changed back in 02/03 and we were having to run, so I started to get into it. However, they tell you to run, but they don't teach you any of the fundamentals. Improper shoes, drastic increases in mileage, and crappy form led to a knee blowout in 04, and I put on 30lbs over the next few years. Fast forward to now, I do everything right, lost the weight, and have a great time racing :)
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I used to be a treadmill during the news kind of runner. I signed up for a popular 20k race in my city. I found a training plan on marathonrookie.com for a 1/2 marathon. The plan worked great for me and I still use it (with some speedwork mixed in). I absolutely LOVE race mornings - there is nothing like it.
  • jaysull21
    Options
    Although I've always had the ability to run, I never had the inspiration. In high school, when I was skinny, we had to run a "12 min run", and see how far we could make it. I remember the farthest I could go was 1.4 miles. I was quick though, I used to pinch run for the slow kids on the baseball team.

Anyway, I never really RAN until June of this year. My 8 year old son loves running and playing outside, and I knew somewhere in me there had to be something in there. I kindasortamaybe ran a little bit last year, because I signed up for a company sponsored 5k in July, and I huffed and puffed and ran halfway / walked halfway and hated it. But I did it. This year, I wanted to do the 5k again, so I actually started walking in May, and running little bits in June. So I finished the company 5k in 28:46 and was super stoked about it. Since then I've been running all the time. I ran 28 of 31 days in July and even ran 3 more 5k's.

I have signed up for two more races in October:
    My first 10K , this SUNDAY, which goes up a 1.5 mile hill at a 4%-5% grade (yes, I knew that going in)
    And the week after, my first Half Marathon.

And I'm ready for both! (I may huff and puff on the 10k though, that hill is nasty).

My profile here says *installing runner module* - 32% complete ; because that's how I feel about it. I'm installing this mindset into my brain, and I'm even making ideas in my head about traveling for races, and maybe even doing full marathons by 2015.
  • justwebby
    justwebby Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started with the Zombie 5K app too... did my first 5K about a month after I started running and loved it. Now, I alternate between the last bits of the Z5K app (I never finished it) and running with music. Never thought I would enjoy it, but I do!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I started out in the summer of 2010, walking mostly, about 3-5 days a week, 3-5 miles at a time. I then decided to start running one day and I signed up for my first half marathon in August, exactly two months from the race date.

Ever since then, I've been running. I've completed a few half marathons, lots of 10ks, a couple of 5ks and a full marathon. I'm running my second marathon in December (California International Marathon) and my third in April (Big Sur International Marathon). I run 5-6 days a week now, and I love it.

I know it sounds totally cliche, but running has totally changed my life and in multiple ways. It pushes me in ways other things have never done and I'm in the best shape I've been in since high school - or perhaps even ever.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Was never a runner in the past. I joined a walk/run program offered for women in my area during the summer (July 2013). It culminated with a graduation 5k where I walk/ran it in 38:13. The next week I ran 50 minutes non-step for the first time! I felt very good about myself for that accomplishment, especially as I did not have a desire to become a runner. However, because the training, I am now one! I am excited about the potential I have and am currently working on being able to run 5 miles in an hour.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Is it best to increase mileage each week? The run keeper app,I'm using is gettingnmebto do shorter runs then a longer run and then a run with sprints at the end? I'm trying to build to a10k. I'm struggling with my pace as its around 6.30/km. I'm not sure whether to work on pave or distance?
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I started with the C25K in January and completed it. Then I just kinda kept going! Ive just completed my first 10k and looking forward to the next one.
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm 3/4 way through a C25K programme. Some weeks I have repeated. My aim was just to add another form of exercise to my routine and to up my fitness levels. I enjoy running and it gets me up early (especially weekends that I used to waste lying in bed all morning!). I'm proud of the achievment (this morning I ran 2.5 miles without stopping to walk at all :D).

I may enter a 5K race but I'm not too fussed for that - maybe if it was for a charity or something. The running is just for me though. When I feel up for it I will take my daughter out on her bike and run alongside her...

Nyk
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Over 10 years ago, I used WW and exercise to lose 120 lbs. I got into cycling(doing several centuries and tours). I also got into to running. I slowed down on the cycling and all I did was running. I ran just about every single day. In 2009, my knees started hurting probably due to overuse, no cross training, and no strength training. I thought I was done with running. I stopped exercising completely and regained 40 lbs(didn't eat right either of course). My knees did eventually stop hurting after several weeks.

On January 2nd of this year, I found mfp and I started taking Zumba, Kickboxing classes, Spinning, and Strength training. I had no thoughts of running as I thought my knees couldn't ever handle it. In June I cautiously started the C25k program and I found my knees could handle.

With all the running I used to do years ago, I had never done an organized race. So, August 10th I did my first 5k. I ended up placing first in my age group. Since then, I have done a 5k a weekend and earned more medals. I'm not extremely fast.. It just depends on who is running in my age group. My August 10th time was 32:08 and my PR now is 27:40.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I also started with Zombie Run - but walking. I then decided to run when I heard the beep beep sound. I then decided to run a little bit during each song. I can now run 5k in 36 minutes. When I'm doing my 5K I don't use the zombie app or else I won't make it. it's still a little too difficult to have to run full speed and not want to die =)
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was in the 7th or 8th grade for the mile fitness test and continued to do so after with a little encouragement/pushiness from my track crazed gym teacher. I used to just run a ton of laps and she wanted me to join the cross country or track team but I was too chicken to do it.

Somehow in high school I came out of my shell and decided out of the blue to join the cross country team my junior year. I ran both junior and senior year.

I only ran in college to keep the weight off I should have gained drinking. (Plus when you are a minor you only have to outrun 1 person if the cops came to bust a party.) The weight didn't catch up until I got too comfortable in a relationship, my gym buddy moved away, and quit going to the gym as much.

I stayed in my relationship and only got fatter when I went to law school. Somewhere in the middle of law school I noticed how fat I'd gotten - think a break up + seeing some pictures of me in a Halloween outfit really hit home. I started running half marathons with my roommate and found myself hooked.

Today I constantly sign my husband and I up for 5Ks and we're doing a couple half marathons in November. He does it mostly to make job related weighins and I do it because I love the feeling I have after running... plus not going back to being super fatty is pretty cool
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Is it best to increase mileage each week? The run keeper app,I'm using is gettingnmebto do shorter runs then a longer run and then a run with sprints at the end? I'm trying to build to a10k. I'm struggling with my pace as its around 6.30/km. I'm not sure whether to work on pave or distance?

A lot of people follow the 10% rule for beginners. Once you have established a base, i.e. can run an x amount of miles per week comfortably, run an extra 10% the following week. For example, last week I ran 12.5 miles, and this week I am going to run 13.7 miles in total. Go with how your body and mind feel, though. If you're extremely fatigued or sore after one week, maybe it's best to repeat the mileage for a week. It can seem frustrating when you see/hear of people doing regular 5, 10, 15 mile runs every single week, but remember that you are only racing yourself. Slow progress allows you to minimise risk of injury, and you get to beat your last-week self every week!

For pace, try fartlek (Swedish for 'speed play') runs.Do a 5-15 minute easy run, then pick an object (like a tree ahead) and sprint as fast as you can until you reach it, followed by a recovery run, then sprint again. It's fun to say, and you get to feel awesome when you're sprinting. It'll prepare you for when you start doing tempo/interval runs, too. Try not to do these before or after a long run

Secondly, for pace, endurance is key. When you increase your miles, you get faster. Run more to run better, is the best advice I have seen. If you're just starting to increase your mileage, I wouldn't obsess too much on how fast your are, just focus on being able to comfortably run your miles for the week, then run a little faster next time. Even a few seconds faster is an improvement

Have you ran a 5k race before? You'll find that you'll be much quicker when you're racing. My easy pace for 3 miles is about 12.5-13 minute mile, and when I did my first 5k, I ran a 10:42min/mile. I am very much a beginner, I've been running for about 3 1/2 months now, and I'm also building to a 10k. Hoping to do a race in December after I run a few more 5ks. Add me if you'd like a training friend!
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I started with Couch to 5K when I wanted to start running. About 3/4 of the way through it I felt that it was too easy so I went outside and just ran. I now just run and set little goals. I had to take a year off of running last year so I just recently started up again. I am back up to 3- 3.5 mile runs without stopping, now I am working on a better pace during these runs before adding distance. My goal for next year is to run a 1/2 marathon.
  • MichelleADB
    MichelleADB Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started running because everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) in my family runs. My husband runs marathons and my daughters (13, 12, and 8) are working up to half marathons and are triathletes. Every one of our family functions/vacations now seem to revolve around a run. Want to go to the beach? We can run the Shamrock. Want to visit family for Thanksgiving? There's a 10k in their city. Even Disney started to be more about runs than rides. So what's a girl to do but join them.

I started out with C25K and have finally worked my way up to the half. I'm training for a full just so I can mark it off my bucket list.
  • amarjeetvirk
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your running experiences. I too am training for the CIM 2013. I had run this marathon in 2007 but that time I was younger (da!) and weighing much lesser than now. When I started training in July this year, I was almost 200lbs and have now been able to get down to 180 lbs. Weight still fluctuates 2-4 lbs depending on the exercise and diet of the day.

I ran my first marathon in May 2007 - Marathon de Mayo and timed 3:37. In Jun 2007 I ran the half-marathon in Vancouver, BC and timed 1:35 (running at sea level along the coast was beautiful and rejuvenating). Then in Dec same year I went and did CIM in 3:44. I think I had overtrained and had been playing lot of squash during my training (Not a good idea - as has been suggested by some coaches not to play sports that involve side running or sudden stops). From Jan 2008 to April 2013, just couldn't make enough time to continue running. Get back to fitness has been arduous task but a gratifying one - always WIP. I am grateful to my friends who got me into a team to run the Reno-Tahoe Odyssey, this got the ball rolling and touch-wood, there has not been any looking back since then. One of my team member qualified for the Boston Marathon and will be running the race in 2014. He is a year older than me and has been my inspiration to keep up the training.

I haven't been able to do much of running outside, however last week I did 18 mile on the treadmill and this week I hope to go to 20 miles. Thereafter I am going to, hopefully run three long runs 22-23 miles outdoor.

I was in the Indian Army and have always tried to keep fit and be physically active. However, the long distance running bug bit me on the eve of Christmas 2006. I resolved to run the entire McCarran Blvd in Reno on the day of Christma. My brother supported me along the route providing with the water and the encouragement. That run inspired me to run and train for marathon.

I had the privilege of meeting Fauja Singh and seeking his blessings before my first marathon. Visit http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/25/world/marathon-man-retires/index.html
  • amarjeetvirk
    Options
    Just ran 20 miles on treadmill as part of my training for CIM. Hope to start running outdoors and take my distance to 22 to 24 miles in two weeks. Running short on time, the D-Day is approaching fast. Anyone else training for the CIM? How is the training progressing?
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I started running in early March of this year. I followed the c25k program/app and then just did my own thing. I finished my first half marathon on September 28th. :smile: