New way to burn calories - donate blood

Options
Ok, today I went and donated blood. I also learned that over two - three days, this donation burns around 650 extra calories. These calories are burned by your body needing to replenish the blood and platelets that were removes. So, go donate!

I did not believe it when the nurse told me, so I came home and called a Dr. friend. He told me this is true!

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I have donated Platelets twice in the past 2 weeks. No one said anything about it burning calories. Who knew?!?:laugh:
    Maybe I will start donating regularly again.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    This is good news! I donated blood on Tuesday. I did notice that it affected me more than before. My heart rate went up for the rest of the day (I was wearing a HRM at the gym and it was pretty high), and I felt light-headed that night. I added extra fluids and was fine the next day.

Weird - I've never had any side effects from donating blood until now, and I've been donating for years. I guess those 35 pounds I lost made it harder for me to spare a quart!
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Well now this is just one more bonus for donating...good to know! :bigsmile:
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    An even better reason to donate! I went the other day and failed the iron test (TOM... grr), but I will be back!
  • presariofaded
    Options
    thanks for the info! not sure if i'll be able to donate next time the blood drive comes to my school. because if i lose 10 more pounds i'll be below the weight limit and last time i donated, i almost passed out... but we'll see :D
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    to bad you have to be 18 to donate
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

It depends. I know in California, you need to be 16 with parental consent.
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

It's 17 here in Alabama...
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Looks like I might go donate again... save a life AND lose a pound! BONUS!! :wink: