The New Rules of Lifting

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    I had a pretty good workout last night, except my arms are not exactly ready for all the exercises. Between the dead lifts and the step-ups it was not my legs or back that was having the hard time it was my arms holding the weights.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    I had a pretty good workout last night, except my arms are not exactly ready for all the exercises. Between the dead lifts and the step-ups it was not my legs or back that was having the hard time it was my arms holding the weights.

I have that same problem. I'm looking into versa gripps.
  • GorillaNJ

I have that same problem. I'm looking into versa gripps.

I know that the TNT book recommended against them... and that your hand and arm muscles will catch up.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    bump......we have a FABULOUS new fitness center at our new station. Due to shift work, I'm the only one in there before my shift...do what I can on my own..but this sounds like this is what I need for direction.
    Thanks!!
  • GorillaNJ
    Just got back infrom the gym... I finally got all three sets of Static Lunges done!
  • sbilyeu75
    I started Stage 2 of The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It certainly stepped it up a notch. I was supposed to do HIIT afterwards, but I was beat after the workout. I already know that I'm going to be super sore tomorrow. I'm hoping to do a C25k run tonight.
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Actually got the one for women a few weeks ago! LOVE that it explains why so many myths are false related to women and weight lifting. Its definitely a good book and seems like a decent program. I worked in an athletic training room with college sports teams all through college and it's along the same lines as lifting programs we designed for our athletes (both men and women). Great post!
  • sbilyeu75
    Here is my stats after Stage 1 of NROL4W. I've stayed in my 4 pound variance on weight. I was disappointed that I had gained 1% fat from the previous month. However, I took last week off so that could have something to do with that. I ended up gaining 1.25 inches over all. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I had the gut reaction to go back to eating in deficit, but my hubby has convinced me to give it another month. Especially since I'm also doing C25k. I don't worry about the scale so much, but I do worry about the measurements and fat percentage. As a woman, it's very hard to not get discouraged by the numbers.

I know I'm going to have to cut at some point. If I'm still having gaining fat and inches next month, I'll look into cutting calories again.
  • GorillaNJ
    I seem to have misplaced my book, but from the looks of it on line.. Fat Loss AandB are very similar to the break in portion... that kinds of sucks. Especially two types of deadlifts on the same day?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Here is my stats after Stage 1 of NROL4W. I've stayed in my 4 pound variance on weight. I was disappointed that I had gained 1% fat from the previous month. However, I took last week off so that could have something to do with that. I ended up gaining 1.25 inches over all. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I had the gut reaction to go back to eating in deficit, but my hubby has convinced me to give it another month. Especially since I'm also doing C25k. I don't worry about the scale so much, but I do worry about the measurements and fat percentage. As a woman, it's very hard to not get discouraged by the numbers.

I know I'm going to have to cut at some point. If I'm still having gaining fat and inches next month, I'll look into cutting calories again.

Did you do all 16 weeks? What is your daily calorie intake?
  • sbilyeu75

Did you do all 16 weeks? What is your daily calorie intake?

Hmmmm...MFP got all jacked up during my response. Anyway, I did all of Stage 1 excecpt the AMRAP workouts. It was actually about 8 weeks. I did do 3 sets of each exercise instead of 2 sets. The AMRAP workouts just happen to hit on a very busy week for me, so I decided I would take a week off. I ended up taking a week off of diet and exercise, I'm sure it wasn't the best choice to do both but it is what it is.

My calories are 1900-2300+ depending on whether it's a workout day or just how much I'm burning with that workout. I do have my account set on sedentary, even though I am probably really lightly active. I strength train 3 days a week, C25k 2-3 days a week, circuit boxing once a week and up until last week (it got too cold for me) hiking 2 miles twice a week.
  • GorillaNJ
    I had a great workout tonight... I am sore and exhausted.
  • GorillaNJ
    I am about to finish week 4 of the break in.. and I am supposed to take a week off. I guess I will just do cardio for that week
  • I just started stage 2 yesterday and my shoulders are sore. I HATE static lunges.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    I seem to have misplaced my book, but from the looks of it on line.. Fat Loss AandB are very similar to the break in portion... that kinds of sucks. Especially two types of deadlifts on the same day?

Similar, but more challenging. :wink:

Stick with it! I'm doing P90X right now but will probably go back to an NROL routine when I'm finished.
  • GorillaNJ

Similar, but more challenging. :wink:

Stick with it! I'm doing P90X right now but will probably go back to an NROL routine when I'm finished.

I found the book... guess where it was hiding. The book case :huh:
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    I am about to finish week 4 of the break in.. and I am supposed to take a week off. I guess I will just do cardio for that week

That's typically what I do on my week off. Not really high intensity cardio, but just something to burn some calories. You really need to view your week off as a recovery week and exercise accordingly. Do some cardio, but take it easy and give your body that week to recover.

Congrats on finishing up the Break In. As easy as it looks on paper, that workout is actually quite a challenge.
  • GorillaNJ
    Congrats on finishing up the Break In. As easy as it looks on paper, that workout is actually quite a challenge.

I have one more workout to do before completing the Break In and I am really sore... actually much more sore now then I was this morning. I am sure the beers I had last night did not help the recovery process, but I hope I am feeling better enough tomorrow to finish off strong.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    I just reserved a copy at our library. Thanks for the info.
  • GorillaNJ

That's typically what I do on my week off. Not really high intensity cardio, but just something to burn some calories. You really need to view your week off as a recovery week and exercise accordingly. Do some cardio, but take it easy and give your body that week to recover.

Today I start back with Fat Loss 1... not looking forward to looking like a idiot doing the supine hip extensions.
This discussion has been closed.