Too fat for fair rides...

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I agree with what some others have said. Don't let it depress you. That feeling that you felt when you got turned away, that is your motivation. When you want to overeat, or NOT go to the gym, remember not being able to fit on that ride! Next year, you'll be able to do it just fine.

The picture on the left is MY motivation, my breaking point. I was already trying to lose weight. I had been going to the gym 3-5x a week for like 2 months, and had lost 10 lbs. My friend took the picture at her daughter's birthday party and posted it on facebook. When I saw it I wanted to vomit and cry ( and un-tag myself in the picture), but I didn't. The picture on the right was taken about 2 weeks ago. I have lost about 25lbs since the first picture was taken. Once a month I put on that shirt so I can see how far I have come.

10067067346_a131833b47.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Understandably humiliating.
    Use that as motivation - - not self-hatred, because that's destructive - - but rather as yet one more awesome thing you will be able to do once you master of your own body.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry OP. What type of person are you when it comes to motivation? I have things burned into my head when I was at my heaviest and most out of shape, in fact I started a list that I kept on a sheet of paper that I carried around with me for a long while. Every time I thought I couldn't take a step further or was too exhausted to make my next lift, I dug into that list either in my head or that paper and took the opportunity to say **** you to an item on it and push myself further than I thought I could.

Not sure what type of person you are when it comes to positive or neg reinforcement but this could be one of those experiences that you bottle up and makes you drive harder than before. Good luck to you OP.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    next year you will be riding all the rides...keep moving forward.

And as other's have said dont use it to berate and self harm yourself see it as a learning experience.

(just dont get pregnant that puts a mild detour in your progress)
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry OP. What type of person are you when it comes to motivation? I have things burned into my head when I was at my heaviest and most out of shape, in fact I started a list that I kept on a sheet of paper that I carried around with me for a long while. Every time I thought I couldn't take a step further or was too exhausted to make my next lift, I dug into that list either in my head or that paper and took the opportunity to say **** you to an item on it and push myself further than I thought I could.

Not sure what type of person you are when it comes to positive or neg reinforcement but this could be one of those experiences that you bottle up and makes you drive harder than before. Good luck to you OP.

I am a very sensitive person, you have to be when you're a special educator, and I internalize everything. This is something that could very easily knock me off my rocker. Luckily for me, my eating habits have become a real lasting habit (thus far) so the only thing that I could "fall off" of, so to speak, would be exercising. Considering I have an elliptical actually in my apartment, I don't think it will be a problem.
  • actriz45
    Options
    I say take that experience and turn it in to more motivation to keep working and keep progressing towards your goal. I understand how you feel. Been there and done that. Just don't give up!
  • Hevenerk
    Hevenerk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of experiences like this when I was at my heaviest. The one that helped finally motivate me to loose weight was when I was flying to Chicago to see family and I was almost not able to buckle the seat belt on the airplane. The flight attendant (or whatever the PC name is now) was standing there staring at me like I was holding up the entire flight because I was too fat to buckle up.

As many others have said you should use this experience as motivation to hit your goals instead of letting them get you down.

Now every time I fly somewhere I look at how much belt I'm able to pull out to tighten it up and realize quietly to myself that those are all inches I have lost over the last year and a half.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Now every time I fly somewhere I look at how much belt I'm able to pull out to tighten it up and realize quietly to myself that those are all inches I have lost over the last year and a half.

I could always buckle the belt, but I got SO EXCITED when I could put the tray in front of me all of the way down and not have to keep my drink on my husband's tray instead. It's the little things. :)

Amusement parks? If you are big, stick with Disney. Almost everything is accessible to almost everyone.
  • manda79rn
    manda79rn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that happened and can relate and remember those days... such a hard thing to deal with and as much as we try to look past it, it's one of those memories that tend to creep into your mind and cling. You are doing well and moving in the right direction, small vistories and just think.. this time next year.. this will all be a distance memory and something you can celebrate!!!

I think this is a great post... I've done the exact same thing and it's been my saving grace numerous times. Goals I wanted, things I never wanted to forget and when I felt like "WHY do I work so hard" I'd take a look and think... oh yeah, that's why. :)