What can help severe fatigue?

Options
I know the forums aren't filled with doctors, but if anyone knows a way to help out these crappy fatigue problems, that would be pretty awesome.

I've have fatigue problems for about a year and a half now. In January, I was diagnosed with celiac disease. The fatigue eased up a little once I switched to a gluten-free diet, but then it returned in full force. I upped my calories a little to see if that would help, but no avail, so I went back down to where I was. I've done multivitamins, B12 shots, and iron supplements for the anemia, but that doesn't help the fatigue. I eat a balanced diet of fruit, vegetables, whole grains (minus wheat), dairy, and lean proteins (mostly fish and beans). It's on and off, where "on" is so tired I want to die, and "off" is regular exhaustion.

I work out 3-6 days a week (depends on how tired I am). A couple of times, the fatigue has been so bad I've actually passed out or nearly passed out during a workout. I get a full 7-8 hours of sleep a night, no waking up, but I could easily go for 12-14 if I had the time.

Before you say "laziness," let me just say that this isn't really an ordinary tired. It's exhaustion to the bone. This morning, it took me an hour to actually be able to physically get out of bed, even after 8 hours of deep sleep. I work a stressful job, but it's at a desk and not on my feet all day. My doctor doesn't really know what's going on. Anyone have any ideas as to what can help? I'm 25 and I shouldn't have these kinds of problems with energy.

Replies

• piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing, If I let myself I'd sleep 24/7. I was put on nortriptyline, and it's working well :)
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, so run anything I say by your real doctor before trying it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/DS00319/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies
    That site has a list of foods that aren't safe for someone with celiac disease, and some of them are surprising (like soy sauce). It's just something to double check.

Has your doctor prescribed any medications for you that could possibly include exhaustion as a side effect?

Could it possibly be depression? Or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Good luck.
  • jcmrax5
    jcmrax5 Posts: 133
    Options
    ive been extra tired the past few months too. blamed it on a stressful job 3 kids, and a 1 year old who still nurses several times throughout the night. no longer working and still tired. nothing ive found has helped. i feel your pain! :(
  • himel13
    himel13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you're going through a hard time with this fatigue. I feel the same way, after lunch and after exercise..and I'm suspecting it could have something to do with my insulin levels as everyone in my family is diabetic. I don't have diabetes yet, apparently this could be a pre-diabetic state. Maybe have your glucose levels checked? Other hormonal problems could also be responsible. Sorry I don't have any better advice! Hope you feel better soon!
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am super careful with what I eat. You don't want to hear about what happens if I eat even a little gluten. :noway:

Not on any medications besides birth control. I do have problems with chronic depression, but the antidepressants I've tried in the past don't really work out too well for me. Chronic fatigue might be a possibility, though. My doctor's trying hard to figure out what's wrong, but she's as baffled as I am.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D has helped me tremendously on this front.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    i would say, see another doctor and/or get a referral to a rheumatologist (they specialize in odd systemic diseases, like autoimmune ones).

my common sense though would suggest cutting back on the workouts or at least replacing them with gentle walking. how are you getting through them?
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was roller-coastering through energy levels during my day, and my lows were like what you describe. What has helped me tremendously is vitamin D. I don't take supplements (my stomach is super-sensitive), I've just stocked up on foods that provide a lot of it. You can find a list of vitamin D-rich foods anywhere online. Mushrooms are my favorite, I steam them they are delicious :)
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I did a google search on why am I so tired and webmd had an article on it here's the link: It has some interesting thoughts at least for you to look into.

http://women.webmd.com/guide/why-so-tired-10-causes-fatigue
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Taking Vitamin C to bowel tolerance and zinc 50mg a day has really helped my impossiple fatigue. Look it op on the internet and go to the "Doctor Yourself" website and search for chronic fatigue.
  • PandaCustard
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice. My multivitamin has all of the vitamins I need for the day and then some, so there's nothing wrong on that front. Hormone levels were fine... thyroid was a little low, but nothing out of the ordinary. Glucose was fine, too. The workouts are moderate intensity I'd say... stationary bike, dumbbells, 30DS here and there. I get through them with just sheer willpower... sometimes I can't really get through them with the intensity I want at all. The only workouts I really feel good after are yoga in all honesty.

Maybe I'll check out the rheumatologist. Thanks for all the help and well-wishes. :smile:
  • PandaCustard
    Options
    Double post. : /
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Maybe stick with the yoga for now, if it helps you feel better?

Best of luck, I hope you find an answer and some relief soon.