Best Quad Exercise?

Options
What do you think the best quad exercise is? I was thinking lunges, but sometimes I feel those more in my hamstrings than my quads.

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Ok, so lunges are rated number one according to bodybuilding.com, but I avoid lunges because of the stress on the knees. Squats are right up there in rating. Lots of ways to do squats to keep it interesting.

I also like to use the stationary bike on 'heavy', and 'step ups' with DBs, as well as mock jump roping with weights.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Also interested in this as I have crappy knees and need to keep my quads strong...always wonder if I'm doing more harm than good with lunges and squats!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? The answer to the question will depend on what you are trying to achieve.

I'm a cyclist so endurance is my priority as an example.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? The answer to the question will depend on what you are trying to achieve.

I'm a cyclist so endurance is my priority as an example.

My goals are to just have shaplier legs. I like to cycle, but only for fun, not for training or anything like that.
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    Ok, so lunges are rated number one according to bodybuilding.com, but I avoid lunges because of the stress on the knees. Squats are right up there in rating. Lots of ways to do squats to keep it interesting.

I also like to use the stationary bike on 'heavy', and 'step ups' with DBs, as well as mock jump roping with weights.

I like the bike suggestion. Thanks :)
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    front squats, hack squats, high bar olympic squat.
  • RebekahR84
    Options

Hack squats?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Hack squats?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/SLHackSquat.html
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight: Bodyweight Squats followed by Pistol squats
    Yoga: Chair Pose (Utkatasana)
  • RebekahR84
    Options

Holy crap! My work computer's filter actually let me go to this site. I think I have a new go-to site for these slooooow nights. Thanks. :)
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    Bodyweight: Bodyweight Squats followed by Pistol squats
    Yoga: Chair Pose (Utkatasana)

I don't think I'm strong enough for pistol squats just yet. But I am going to try the chair pose. :)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

Hack squats?

Just SQUAT

That's what builds legs . Leg extensions will get u the isolation movement which I highly recommend too
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    partial (above parallel) squats will work the quads more - puts extra pressure on your knees though, not going the whole way :D
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Hack squats?

Just SQUAT

^ There you have it, he's right. If you look at your exercise time as an investment, squatting is THE best investment you can make for training your legs, hands down. Now, to put even more focus on your quads you can use an Olympic style stance which is a little more narrow than the traditional squat and that will put a little more focus on your quads. Now even with that stance you should still get your *kitten* down to parallel. Front Squats are another option but some people have difficulty in holding the "clean" position which is why I would suggest a normal Back Squat or Olympic squat first.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Doing lunges with a long stride targets the hams and glutes more and a short stride (inch or two ahead of the knee that is close to the ground) targets the quads more. Front squats are also good, and close stance leg press should also help. Some people say turning to toes out somewhat on the press or squat targets the quads more but I think that's individual. Play around with form on exercises that you're already comfortable with.
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the VMO (a weak VMO is what led to my knee injury) in your quad workout. I can't do side lunges due to the knee injury and squats/lunges are limited in range. The trainer is working with me on squats/lunges and once the VMO is stronger, I will incorporate more range of motion back into the routine. http://www.theinjuredknee.com/knee-injury-prevention/top-10-exercises-to-strengthen-vmo-vastus-medialis-obliquus/ Also, lower ab work can help lead to stronger quads and glutes according to my trainer.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If your gym has a hack squat machine, I'd go for that. Short of that, regular squats should do the trick. I'm also a fan of split squats (I do them on the smith machine because my balance is for crap).
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Well, I know one that'll make you feel your quads like never before, but it's not a particularly healthy move :) It's rough on the feet and knees for some folks. It's from dance. I'll describe it in case anyone is curious:

Kneel on the ground, legs hip-width or a bit farther apart. Make sure you can do reclining hero pose in yoga. Start, while kneeling, with your feet prepared for reclining hero.

Lie back with your body (from your shoulders through your thighs) as one straight line. Make a controlled descent into reclining hero. Come back up (abs here!). As you get stronger, don't ever touch the ground but stay a couple of inches off it before you come back up.

If you can't do a controlled descent, go back as far as you can and then come back up, similar to Russian Hamstring Curls. It's basically the reverse (quad) version of that move, imho.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the VMO (a weak VMO is what led to my knee injury) in your quad workout. I can't do side lunges due to the knee injury and squats/lunges are limited in range. The trainer is working with me on squats/lunges and once the VMO is stronger, I will incorporate more range of motion back into the routine. http://www.theinjuredknee.com/knee-injury-prevention/top-10-exercises-to-strengthen-vmo-vastus-medialis-obliquus/ Also, lower ab work can help lead to stronger quads and glutes according to my trainer.

So true. My VMO is finally built from doing the dance move, and I think it's really helped my knees stay stable. I have hypermobile knees, so it's nice to know the supporting muscles and what they do.

(I'm not recommending that move for knee problems, lol! It only works for me because of how the patella does in it.)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Wisest thing said: Just do squats.

Amen.

Don't isolate, don't make it complicated. Learn to squat properly and squat with weight. You'll get the legs you want.