Adding weight to the walk

Options
I take a walk every evening and it's getting too easy. I can either lengthen the walk (but why?), increase the pace (again, why?), or add some weights to it.

I was thinking of sporting a backpack with either water bottles or sand bags. Does this sound too weird?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Nope, not the slightest bit weird. Army does that all the time. Strap 50 lbs or more to your back and the intensity of your workout goes up considerably.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    You can also get strap on wrist and ankle weights.

I enjoy walking so much I'd rather just walk for longer and maybe seek out more challenging terrain, but if you'd rather up the intensity that's perfectly reasonable and your idea should work really well.

Good luck.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You can also get strap on wrist and ankle weights.

I enjoy walking so much I'd rather just walk for longer and maybe seek out more challenging terrain, but if you'd rather up the intensity that's perfectly reasonable and your idea should work really well.

Good luck.
    no, you can't do this. use a pack, or nothing.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I too would just up the intensity by going for a longer or hillier walk, but if you do the weight idea defo use a backpack. the ankle n wrist weights put strain on the wrists n ankles. good luck n enjoy your wanderings :)
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I take a walk every evening and it's getting too easy. I can either lengthen the walk (but why?), increase the pace (again, why?), or add some weights to it.

I was thinking of sporting a backpack with either water bottles or sand bags. Does this sound too weird?

Well, I do frequently but not with bottles or sand back (10-15 minutes with dumbbells in both hand)........
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Try adding weights to a backpack that are close to your weight loss & just feel how much harder your body used to work by just walking. I am at the same place as you & walk so fast now to get the same exersise I look a bit wierd but I just dont enjoy or get on with running.
  • David_273
    David_273 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I once read an entire book about increasing the value of walking by adding weight in a backpack. That is why the IDF have soldiers walk everywhere wearing their gear.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think a weighted vest would be the ideal. It distributes the weight more evenly, and will not lead to strain on wrists or ankles. Backpack would be second, but the weight will affect back and shoulders more (but a progressive increase over time would help negate this).

I would suggest avoiding wrist weights and ankle weights for long sessions of exercise, even something like walking because of the aforementioned risk of straining those areas.

You can get various weighted vests at Dunhams or ****s Sporting Goods for $30-$40. I found them to be a nice benefit for my treadmill walking when I was trying to increase my caloric burn without having to run.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Why not add some jogging?
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Now I'm excited about it!

Carry DB's is a great idea, but I need my hands free as I've fallen once already.
    I was going to do ankle weights but they seemed to throw off my balance (when I tried them on at the store).
    A weighted vest does sound smart but not easy to find.

I've got several backpacks laying around here, and plenty of sand, too.
    Now I just need to figure out how much I can handle to start, and that joke about 'weight lost' might be a good place to start, indeed.

Thanks again!! :)
  • chani8
    Options
    Why not add some jogging?

Because it hurts. ;) lol I do some sprints, Primal style, but jogging is so hard.
  • runningvegan
    Options
    I walk with my 20 lb baby in her boba carrier. It definitely increases the intensity and gives my back a workout too.
  • chani8
    Options
    I walk with my 20 lb baby in her boba carrier. It definitely increases the intensity and gives my back a workout too.

That's a great idea but the baby is already asleep in her crib when I go walking.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Now I'm excited about it!

Carry DB's is a great idea, but I need my hands free as I've fallen once already.
    I was going to do ankle weights but they seemed to throw off my balance (when I tried them on at the store).
    A weighted vest does sound smart but not easy to find.

I've got several backpacks laying around here, and plenty of sand, too.
    Now I just need to figure out how much I can handle to start, and that joke about 'weight lost' might be a good place to start, indeed.

Thanks again!! :)

Yes, stay away from ankle and wrist weights....they can screw with your joints.

Where have you been looking for a weighted vest? Walmart carries them for sure, and I believe target as well. I'm sure any sports store would have them.
  • chani8
    Options
    RGv2 - I don't live in the US, but I'll look online about the vests.

I did it!! I went out with a backpack with 5 kilos on my 30 minute walk (that took longer tonight). It was great!! Shoulders and butt got the brunt, and overall it was just heavy. Just exactly what I was hoping for. I'm going to increase it quickly, I guess by 1 kilo a day, if I can do it. Wish me luck!
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    To me that sounds worse than running, and I'd be a little worried about injury to shoulders and back.
  • chani8
    Options
    To me that sounds worse than running, and I'd be a little worried about injury to shoulders and back.

:) I seriously respect runners, but I'm just not ever going to be one. That ache in the lungs from a 30 second sprint hurts more than my shoulders do right now. ;)

I recently saw a young man (soldier type) running with a backpack on (for exercise). He gets the best of both worlds.
  • wilsoje74
    Options

:) I seriously respect runners, but I'm just not ever going to be one. That ache in the lungs from a 30 second sprint hurts more than my shoulders do right now. ;)

I said the same thing 2 yrs ago, I'm running a 10 mile race Sunday. However, I never sprint!!!!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I try to speed walk daily. I *always* wear a backpack on my walks - never seen without one. So much so that people call me the "backpack girl" around town. Lol! I pack it full of stuff, along with a large full 1L water bottle. Make sure that your pack has a measure of support though (waist or chest straps) to take a bit of the load off your back. Easy way of adding to the intensity. :)
  • FrontBoard
    Options
    I am a big proponent of walking with a backpack. I did this for about a year training to climb a mountain. My legs got so strong that with minimal running practice and aerobic training I was able to run a 12K and half marathon at very respectable speeds (8:06 pace on the half). A friend of mine who does Ironman also recently trained for and climbed Denali and Rainier, then came home and got a 10 minute PR on a half ironman. He attributes that mainly to his mountain climbing training.

You can work the weight up slowly to allow your body to strengthen and get used to the weight. I topped out around 45-50 pounds. Another thing that is nice is that there is generally a lot less impact than running which should help out your knees. Walking with a heavy load downhill can still work your knees a bit, at least until the muscles start to build up.