question about Long Hair and the gym

Options
First off, is it a rule at 24 Hour Fitness that if you have long hair that you need to have it tied up in a pony tail or something?

Because EVERYONE I see at the gym that has hair that at least reaches their shoulders, they have it up. So there for, I assumed it's a rule or something so I began putting my hair up too. (Or if it's not a rule, then why does Everybody do it? what's the unspoken secret to it?)

Secondly, and most importantly does anyone have any tips for me on how the eff do I accomplish not getting any tangles/knots in my hair after I'm done working out?
I'm sure these knots are showing up from as a result of me putting my hair in a pony tail because no matter where the knot happens to be, if I take it and move it to the back of my head it ALWAYS ends up where the little rubber band scrunchie would have been holding my hair in the pony tail.

Replies

• BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a rule I see some people with their hair down, but when I'm sweating i would rather have my hair up and out of my face and off my neck....just me personally...

As soon as I'm done working out I shower and use shampoo, conditioner, a product for extra conditioning, then once I'm out of the shower I use de-tangler and oil serum....I have long and super thick hair that has been damaged so I have to use these products to keep my hair healthy and back on track just cut a lot of it off too, but a lot is still there.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    When you sweat, it'll stick to you. Not pleasant, really.
  • Cameronie
    Cameronie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... well if It's not a rule to have your hair up.... I think I'll choose having sweaty hair stick to me, instead of getting knots in my hair that I'll have to end up ripping out.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I have long hair that is just past my butt. I mostly braid my hair when I'm at the gym. Ponytails don't work for me because they're too long. I have to use conditioner, biosilk, detanglers, etc.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Funny, because the last couple of days I've forgotten a rubber band and have worked out with my long, blonde hair down AND the was only girl in the weight room (so I felt like an idiot, and hoped no one assumed I was there to troll guys!).
    Anyway, try doing a single braid down the back; that's what helps my hair stay non-tangled, and keeps it from getting all nasty and sweaty on the ends. I wear a trucker cap a lot, too, with the braid. That's a good combination. :)
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Brush it, then plait (briad) it.

You might be able to put up with it getting sweaty and stuck to you but you won't like it when it gets stuck to the equipment and comes out in lumps!
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I can't exercise with my hair down, just a personal preference! But I am pretty sure there is no Rule! My hair is almost to my butt and when running will get in my line of sight if not pulled back! I usually have a hat on as well because I don't want swear dripping into my eyes!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I always put my hair in a ponytail because I don't like sweaty hair sticking to my face and covering my eyes. And you don't actually HAVE to rip the hair out that gets into knots. Just be patient with the brush afterward as opposed to tearing through them.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    What kind of hair elastic are you using? A rubber band will cause knots.

I don't think there are any rules, but I have long, thick, curly hair (that is terribly prone to knotting) and I wouldn't be able to work out with it down because it would be in my way.

I brush my hair, twist it into a tight bun, then use a smooth, fabric covered elastic to wrap around the base and jam a few bobby pins in where needed to keep the strays back. I have never had a problem with knots after working out, keeping everything twisted tight prevents any knots from forming. I also tend to not comb my hair until I'm in the shower when it has conditioner in it.

Also, are you starting to brush at the bottom of your hair, and working your way up? Brushing from the crown down will just push all the tiny knots together until they form one big one, but if you start gently combing through the ends, you'll work out the smaller knots as you move up.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Brush it, then plait (briad) it.

You might be able to put up with it getting sweaty and stuck to you but you won't like it when it gets stuck to the equipment and comes out in lumps!

Yup, try a braid if it's long enough.
    I wear my hair in a high ponytail or bun or braid when I work out because otherwise it gets caught beneath the barbell during squats and that HURTS.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    OMG, it makes me completely insane to have my sweaty hair in my face. I pull it back into a ponytail and use a Sweaty Band too to make sure that it is away from my face. *shudder*

You should be using a hair elastic and not a regular rubber band from the office supply store. I prefer the ones that have no metal parts (the ones I prefer are made by Scuncii). Brush your hair and pull it back into the ponytail and put in the elastic. You should not have any knots that form during your workout. I wear my hair in a ponytail every time - running, boot camp, Zumba, body shred, weight lifting, multiple sports - you name it, I've done it with my hair up. I've not ever had a knot that I had to rip out.

If your hair is very long, like middle of your back or more, you might want to braid it instead of using a ponytail (or in addition too). Longer hair can become tangled while you workout. If that happens and you don't want to braid it, spray some detangling spray (probably with the kids bath products in the grocery store) or leave-in conditioner into your hair before you take out the elastic and brush it after your workout.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Don't use a rubber band, those stick to your hair. Use the covered ones, they are easier on your hair.
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    As others said, it's not generally a rule.

My hair is shoulder length and I tie it up or else it gets sweaty and sticks to my neck and face, or falls into my face, and that's just annoying. It also keeps me cooler to have my hair up.

I've never had problems with knots in my hair, but then again, I have really soft hair and it's not very long.

Use a hair elastic, not an elastic band. Brush from the bottom up. use a leave in conditioner before tying up your hair.

From your profile, I see you're male. So a regular or high ponytail might not be to your liking. I often also do a low ponytail so that the bump from the elastic is down by my neck and doesn't bother me when I'm doing exercises that require laying down.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    well it keeps me WAY cooler when its up. I'm already sweating, no need to make it worse. plus I can't stand it falling in my face.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This poor guy probably doesn't want to braid his hair. Haha.

I would brush it before you pull it back though. And as others have said, don't use a rubber band. They sell black, non girly hair ties at any Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, whatever. They hold tight and are easy to get out.
  • Cameronie
    Cameronie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the tips.
    Today I just wore a sweat (head)band. which helps keep the hair out of my face, well most of it at least.

and I wasn't using a office max rubber band. hahaha. I was using one of those scruncii (sp?) ones you get in a pack of like 10 or so from CVS or Walgreeens.

If I go back to the rubber band, I'll be sure to give my hair a quick brush before I put it on. and afterwards I'll try the brushing from the bottom first.
    thanks.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think it's more convenience than anything. The woman group fitness instructors at my gym (full time as that's the way it is here, they all do 5-6 different types of class per week) all have long hair for some reason I don't understand and they all keep it up in either a pony tail or some other type of thing that will keep it out of their face and off their neck. Due to the language barrier that exists between us, I've never bothered to ask why they don't chop it off, but since they're all young woman (probably mid 20s at the oldest) I figure they're probably keeping it long for other reasons.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    The skin on my back breaks out if I don't keep my sweaty hair out of the way when I'm working out.

The person who thinks young women at the gym are dumb for not cutting their hair off-really? Don't you suppose some people like having long hair?
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about me, I didn't mean to imply that I thought they were dumb for having long hair, and my apologies if it did come off that way.

. When I say long, it is nearly to the waist on most of them, so not just barely past their shoulders, I'm talking LONG. These woman probably teach 2-3 hour long classes every day, and have to shower/wash between them, I can't imagine that it is that easy to wash/dry their hair every time they teach a class considering they'll finish with one class and be sweaty and gross and come out 30 minutes later looking all fresh and clean having changed clothing and showered. Even keeping it up in a ponytail you can tell they've been sweating/working out after a class.

They're all amazingly powerful, badass women, I just know if I were them, and in their job, I'd be considering keeping my hair much shorter considering the number of times I'd have to shower a day.

But then again this is Asia, and they all have tats (which is kind of frowned upon here in Asia) and do other stuff that is typically not Asian. I love them all, they kick my butt, doesn't mean I can't help but wonder why they prefer to long hair.

Anyway, I am off to class with one of the male group instructors, who I just noticed recently pierced his ear in 2 places. Another thing you normally don't see on male Asians.