Jillian Michaels being sued AGAIN!!!

Options
I got the story from TMZ. I don't know if any of you are taking this product, but here's what's happening. I have included the link. The link to the several other lawsuits are also on this page. http://www.tmz.com/person/jillian-michaels/

Jillian Michaels Sued -- 'Potentially Lethal' Diet Product
8/4/2010 2:30 PM PDT by TMZ Staff

"Biggest Loser" star Jillian Michaels was just slapped with another multi-million dollar lawsuit over her weight loss products -- and this time, it's about a detox supplement that allegedly "might kill you."

The class action lawsuit, obtained by TMZ, was filed today in L.A. County Superior Court by a woman who only wants to be known by her initials -- R.D. -- due to her "very real fear of retaliation OR harassment by Defendants."

In the lawsuit, R.D. claims Jillian's "Triple Process Total Body Detox & Cleanse" diet supplement contains a "potentially lethal combination of toxic ingredients" ... and it "might kill you."

In the suit, R.D. lays out what she considers to be the risks associated with various ingredients in Jillian's product, including:

-- Irish Moss Powder ... "causes gastrointestinal ulcers" and is "so toxic that it is the gel commonly applied to aircraft wings to dissolve ice"
-- Bearberry ... "known to cause nausea and vomiting"
-- Yarrow ... "a toxic lawn weed that causes dermatitis"
-- Chinese Rhubarb ... "a harsh laxative and dangerous diuretic that can cause sever dehydration and may cause irreversible liver damage"
-- Fenugreek Seed ... "interferes with digestion and causes both diarrhea and gas"

R.D. is suing Jillian and Thin Care International for more than $10 million for "actively and fraudulently" conspiring to hide the alleged dangers of their product.

If this story sounds familiar, it's not the first ... second ... or even the third time Jillian has been sued by people who claim her diet products are potentially toxic.

No comment from Jillian Michaels' camp.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I remember this from a while back, she is just in it for the money now
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information.....In my opinion I thought her diet products go against everything she stood for
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Thanks for the information.....In my opinion I thought her diet products go against everything she stood for

100% agreed. Another classic case of "money talks" in Hollywood :ohwell:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Ya know she even says that herself. Something to the effect of 'You all know how I feel about diet products and supplements' You don't NEED them, they're a waste of money and don't do a thing for you!'

Oops she forgot to add they might kill you as well.

Yup, I like her style but I prefer to die on her watch while working out with her than chemicals that kill lawns. sheesh:noway:

Sure never hear much about Bob in this sort of thing, he's pushing in a different direction completely. I like that. He couldn't kick my butt in a workout so she'd have to step in but I like that he's not 'looking' like he's selling out.

Edited to add: The above quote (well the jest of her words) is actually what she puts in her advertisement FOR her products on her newsletter I was getting a few times. Now that's CRAZY. lol
  • Roboguy
    Roboguy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The class action lawsuit, obtained by TMZ, was filed today in L.A. County Superior Court by a woman who only wants to be known by her initials -- R.D. -- due to her "very real fear of retaliation OR harassment by Defendants."

So I'm not the only one who's afraid of Jillian Michaels!
  • metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Options
    Wow! That's pretty scary! I love her work out videos (just tried 30 day shred yesterday), but I'd never take cleansing supplements or diet pills, no matter who's name is on the bottle! This news really makes me think twice about her motives.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I worry when people are all "Oh, this is *natural* so it's safe." Arsenic is natural, too, but you wouldn't eat that to lose weight. Thanks for posting this!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I worry when people are all "Oh, this is *natural* so it's safe." Arsenic is natural, too, but you wouldn't eat that to lose weight. Thanks for posting this!!
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Now don't be giving anyone ideas:smokin:

But I definitely do agree with your point on 'all natural' it can cover anything it's on every food pkg. now and truly means NOTHING.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I thought fenugreek was something nursing mothers took,

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7DBCA&q=fenugreek+nursing&aq=1&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=fenugreek+nur&gs_rfai=

I did a different type of cleanse before and they are not all bad, this one worked really well, it recommended following a balanced diet of fresh foods and no sugars, it really helped me get a kickstart on some healthy habits.
  • unocentavo
    unocentavo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Its crazy how they let some supps pass through the cracks and not others. They took ephedra off the market cause it's supposedly bad for you. So, the diet supp companies just loaded their pills with extra caffeine. Thats better, lol.
    I'm sure Jillian didn't design these supps, but since she endorsed them, here come the lawsuits. Back to the drawing board.
  • Destined
    Destined Posts: 116
    Options
    Really really sad. The body has it's own way of cleansing itself. That is what the kidneys and the liver does. Wow people love quick fixes and it is sad to know that Jillian promotes hard work is also endorsing quick fixes. I guess money talks more than one's beliefs. I will continue her w/outs though because I know those will kill me but are still good for me!
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It is interesting because she made a big point to say she would not endorse products (I don't recall the show but it was an interview -- perhaps Oprah or someone like that) and she makes such a big production throwing away processed foods, writing books about metabolism and the benefits of eating natural, hormone free foods etc.

Of course, the Biggest Loser is nothing but endorsements and product placement and then she comes out with a line of supplements that are full of fillers and according the article toxins. Hypocritical. It is a shame she became a sell-out.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options

I agree... I mentioned this "directly" to Jillian Michaels on Twitter and she got really *****y about it....
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Fenugreek is also something you might put in a curry. Most of those just sound like natural herbs that could be found in a garden. Perhaps may be toxic in huge doses,but so are alot of things
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options

Exactly.. so much for pushing people to do it the right way via eating healthy and exercising.. Now it all about "how much money can i get from those SUCKERS!!"
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the above post. I know that a lot of famous people endorse weight loss and performance supplements, but when it comes to someone like Jillian who is famously known for her DVD's and BL, it does really seem to go against what she teaches us. And those who are inspired by her would feel that her products are probably the best thing!

I was really upset the first time seeing her products and I probably would have tried them, if I did not know that good ole hard work, knowledge, and dedication can get you the results that you want.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    One more example of diet products gone wrong, when will people learn ther is no magic pill???? If you are willing to take diet pills or products, which historically have been pulled off the market one by one due to side effects then there should be no recourse when something goes wrong, A clear USE AT YOUR OWN RISK should be posted just like when I take my kids to the trampoline place to play. Supplements are not always the answer!

And really? we are surprised that she has jumped on the money train? After all, biggest loser has become nothing but a 2 hour long commercial for subway, ziploc, yoplait and the biggest loser wii or dvd's, come on!!!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

-- Irish Moss Powder ... "causes gastrointestinal ulcers" and is "so toxic that it is the gel commonly applied to aircraft wings to dissolve ice"

I'm confused with this. What does one have to do with the other?

Not that I'm defending her / them, but "poisons" in small doses can be beneficial, just look at botox (1 gram could kill over 13 milion people). I remember a story I read a long time ago about how a student was performing an experiment where he was supposed to poison a peppermint plant. Not only did he not kill it, but it grew faster than the control plants without the poison! He eventually discovered that he was only using maybe 40% of the required dose.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    No no no. I thought that because things were "NATURAL" they can't be bad for you, right?

I certainly don't support Jillian Michaels products in any way but I guess I make jokes because in the end what it boils down to is the argument can be made that pretty much everything is toxic and bad for you. :tongue: You know water? When you break down it's "ingredients," it's Hydrogen and Oxygen -- 2 very volatile and dangerous gases. I won't even mention the flouride (Fluorine -- yeah, that's a really dangerous and poisonous gas) and chlorine (yep... another poisonous gas) most US city governments & bottled water manufacturers are putting into your tap & bottled water. :wink:

So while the list of problems these ingredients may or may not be linked to sounds pretty bad, a similar argument and list of badness can be made up for basically anything else we consume.