Water, my friend, you bore me...

Options
I am not drinking nearly enough water.. I cant seem to get on the band wagon. I like water, but its hard to fit in 8!! glasses a day. I am honestly averaging 1 or 2 and hoping like hell my 3 or 4 drinks of tea kinda sorta count. How do you fit it in? Is there a way you make your water more appealing? There must be some tricks cause I'm just not feeling it. Thanks!!

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I put stuff in it that makes it taste more interesting. It doesn't stop being water when you mix it with something.
  • dixielawgirl
    dixielawgirl Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I like Mio drops when I want to make my water more interesting.
  • Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What are in those Mio drops? So the tea does count? That makes me feel a bit better.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why in the world would you not count tea?
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Have you tried flavoring your water with citrus, berries or cucumbers? It's really yummy. My favorite it Cucumbers and Strawberries.

I have a giant cup that i try to drink twice a day. Half of it by 9, the rest by lunch, another half by 3 then the rest by dinner. I try not to drink after dinner too much or I am up all night with trips to the bathroom :) When I break the day up, it's easier to just get it down in smaller increments of time rather than thinking about all day.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Tea counts as fluid intake. Even watery foods like tomatoes and watermelon are fluid intake. It doesn't have to be just water.

What I enjoy is club soda with lemon and lime squeezed in, or as mentioned before, a couple drops of liquid flavoring like Mio.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Drink from a straw. You'll be surprised how much you get in without realizing!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    So the tea does count?
    Yes.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Some day's I can't get enough water, and others I don't even want it.. On the day's I don't want it, I chug it down, to get it over with.LOL....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So the tea does count?

Steeping tea leaves in water does not make water contain less water.
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Some day's I can't get enough water, and others I don't even want it.. On the day's I don't want it, I chug it down, to get it over with.LOL....

me toooo. ugh, and the peeeeeeeing!!!!!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Drink from a straw. You'll be surprised how much you get in without realizing!
    I will second this as a good idea! I drink way more water when I have a straw that I can just lean over and drink from. It sounds lazy, but hey, if it gets me more fluid, I'm all for it.
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The good news is that the 8-glasses-a-day thing is probably overkill:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day

If you don't have dehydration symptoms - mainly feeling like you're hungover - you're likely drinking enough. And yes, tea, Mio, Crystal Light, etc., all count!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i like plain water now. since ive started mfp. but yesterday i was at walmart and i got a bottle of that peach water o calories o sodium 0 caffeine. that *kitten* is amazing. just saying.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I count tea :) I usually buy unsweetened green tea and sip on that throughout the day...you could also try cutting slices of fruit and putting in in your water the night before...nothing like natural, fruit-flavored, ice cold water! yum!
  • TheLung
    TheLung Posts: 58
    Options
    I used to hate water as it always seemed to make my stomach upset and make me thirstier. Filtered, spring, tap, distilled it didn't matter what kind. I kept drinking it and I am finally to a point where I drink at least 64 oz a day with no tummy issues and that does not include the water I drink with my meals. I have a 32 oz Nalgene bottle and I do not drink from it when I eat. I use a big blue 16 oz cup at meal time. I now have a hard time drinking flavoured anything unless it is coffee.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    8 glasses of just water is not required. Your body needs hydration and you get that hydration by drinking water, tea, coffee, juices and by eating fruits and veggies. Your soup for lunch will give you the hydration your body needs. Don't worry or kill yourself over this myth of needing 8 glasses of WATER. I average only about 4. If your urine is a pale yellow color then your body is hydrated. When your thirsty drink, if you're not don't stress. Edit---I like to use the water flavorings periodically. I rarely drink anything other then ice tea or water and plain water gets boring at times. I'd rather eat my calories then drink them.
  • Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hmm cucumber water sounds interesting.. Not sure why when I hear 8 glass of water a day I thought they meant only water? Guess I take things too literally sometimes :) I'm gonna bust out the straws too. Thanks everyone :)
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    All liquid counts; tea, coffee, juice, whatever. There.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Carbonated water just seems so much more fun to drink, for me at least. I have a soda stream to carbonate and then I thrown a slice of cucumber or lemon or lime in it. Tasty. And I count my black coffee as water, too.