Strange American sayings from an English Perspective

Options

Replies

• kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options

That's not the correct expression. It is "couldn't care less."

As for the other American expressions, we are far more colorful in the South.

"That dog won't hunt."

"Sweating like a *kitten* in church."

"Well, aren't you a pretty thing."

"Bless your heart."

I know the last two have a double meaning..... but don't know what it is....

They're both insults, most commonly said by older women to younger women, and basically mean, "you're stupid."

"Bless your heart" is not an insult. It is meant to follow an insult. I am a lifelong southerner with southern grandmothers. When I was younger, I observed that if there was something unpleasant to be said about someone then bless their heart must follow the insult.

For example, your mother
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    Do other people use the phrase the *kitten* hole of no where to describe, in somewhat derogratory terms somewhere small/out of the way/no where near anything interesting.

We end the south use the phrase "BFE" or "bum f\/cked eqypt" to describe the middle of nowhere/small town.

For example
    "where are you from in Alabama?"
    "BFE"
    "oh, so a pretty rural place, huh?"

I have no idea where this phrase came from.
    Must be pretty specific to where you live. I know I'm a Yank and all, but I've lived in the South (rural Georgia and north Florida) for almost nine years and I know a lot of southerners, including half my BF's family. I have never heard that phrase.

The first time I heard the phrase was from my brother when he came home from basic training after joining the Marines. That was in the 80s. I've always attributed it to the military.
    Could be.

FUBAR and SNAFU are both military terms. Well, slang. (I met my BF at a bar called Fubar. Totally appropriate.)

Zero dark thirty is another one I first heard from a Marine.

Yeah, BFE could be military. Never thought about that. I am around a lot of military personnel.
  • humberstunner
    Options
    life imprisonment Britain means about 15 years . Life imprisonment US about 700 years
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    life imprisonment Britain means about 15 years . Life imprisonment US about 700 years
    I wish that were true. (The US part.)
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Do other people use the phrase the *kitten* hole of no where to describe, in somewhat derogratory terms somewhere small/out of the way/no where near anything interesting.

We end the south use the phrase "BFE" or "bum f\/cked eqypt" to describe the middle of nowhere/small town.

For example
    "BFE"

Must be pretty specific to where you live. I know I'm a Yank and all, but I've lived in the South (rural Georgia and north Florida) for almost nine years and I know a lot of southerners, including half my BF's family. I have never heard that phrase.
    I am from Ohio and I have heard that phrase a lot.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    FUBAR and SNAFU are both military terms. Well, slang. (I met my BF at a bar called Fubar. Totally appropriate.)

I always thought FUBAR was an IT term.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

"That dog won't hunt."

"Bless your heart."

They're both insults, most commonly said by older women to younger women, and basically mean, "you're stupid."

"Bless your heart" is not an insult. It is meant to follow an insult. I am a lifelong southerner with southern grandmothers. When I was younger, I observed that if there was something unpleasant to be said about someone then bless their heart must follow the insult.

For example, your mother

The ladies that I know who use the expression are far too polite to use "your mother." Their insults are always disguised, and "bless your heart" can also be used to literally mean "bless your heart." Context and tone matter, but it is most definitely also used as an insult, particularly during cocktail hour.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm American and have never heard nor used those phrases.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Nope. Started in the military.

A lot of people use it outsie the military, though.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My favorite difference is "knock up". Being told "I'll knock you up in the morning" has COMPLETELY different meanings in the US and UK.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

For example
    "BFE"

The first time I heard the phrase was from my brother when he came home from basic training after joining the Marines. That was in the 80s. I've always attributed it to the military.

We say it in Texas, too, but I most often heard it when I was in the military.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options

For example
    "BFE"

We have a bar in MI named BFE that's in the middle of a cornfield.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Nope. Started in the military.

A lot of people use it outsie the military, though.

Watching "Saving Private Ryan" was the first time I heard FUBAR. Hehe, then when I was in the military I heard it quite often.
    Anyone hear of a Charlie Foxtrot? ;-)
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    "Can I bum a *kitten*?" means something completely different on the other side of the Atlantic.

Now that was funny!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

"That dog won't hunt."

"Bless your heart."

For example, your mother

Yeah, I see this most often, but it doesn't mean it's any less of an insult. For example, "She is just not very smart at all, but bless her heart, she just doesn't know any better!"
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Ahhh some more(not as good):-

"You don't know squat"

"Fanny pack" ..... that ones ssooo funny!!

"I'm doing the math" ....it's "Maths" not "Math"

"Vacation" .... no it's not it's a holiday!

"He was pissed" ..... In England this would mean he was very drunk

"You don't know squat" - No one says that anyway. It's "you don't know *kitten*"

"Fanny pack" ..... that ones ssooo funny!! - No one below the age of 70 would either wear or purchase one of those hideous things, so pretty much not a real staple of American life.

"I'm doing the math" ....it's "Maths" not "Math" - Ummm.....no. It's math.

"Vacation" .... no it's not it's a holiday! - No, Christmas is a holiday. Thanksgiving is a holiday. Going to Disneyland or Vegas is a vacation.

"He was pissed" ..... In England this would mean he was very drunk - Drunk people can be pissed. Pissed people can be drunk. They work well together.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Did you watch the video? I've only heard "could care less" said by Americans.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    I work for the Texas Dept of Ag, and we recently gave a training to some folks from Bosnia. I facepalmed so many times at the awkward phrases my coworkers were using during their presentations, like:

"More seed than you can shake a stick at"

"Needle in a haystack"

"Need to pick your brain"

"That said" (I HATE this one.)

Idioms like that are not going to be understood by non-Americans, especially ones that don't speak English as a first language! Hahaha, it was funny to me anyway.
  • Nooditaur
    Nooditaur Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Actually, the weirdest thing as a Brit was hearing people in American TV dramas using the phrase "it's your call". Over here, we only ever say "it's your choice/decision". When I was younger, I thought they were actually talking about an actual phone call or something! I only managed to figure it out in my mid-teens... xD
  • humberstunner
    Options
    Ahhh some more(not as good):-

"You don't know squat"

"Fanny pack" ..... that ones ssooo funny!!

"I'm doing the math" ....it's "Maths" not "Math"

"Vacation" .... no it's not it's a holiday!

"He was pissed" ..... In England this would mean he was very drunk

"You don't know squat" - No one says that anyway. It's "you don't know *kitten*"

"Fanny pack" ..... that ones ssooo funny!! - No one below the age of 70 would either wear or purchase one of those hideous things, so pretty much not a real staple of American life.

"I'm doing the math" ....it's "Maths" not "Math" - Ummm.....no. It's math.

"Vacation" .... no it's not it's a holiday! - No, Christmas is a holiday. Thanksgiving is a holiday. Going to Disneyland or Vegas is a vacation.

"He was pissed" ..... In England this would mean he was very drunk - Drunk people can be pissed. Pissed people can be drunk. They work well together.

Thanksgiving aint a holiday or a vacation

As for no one under 70 wearing a bum bag then you ain't seen many runners matey boy