Over eat to meet Calories???

Options
What should I do? I am suppose to eat 1400 calories per day. Yesterday I worked out and earned more calories come 8pm last night I still had 348 calories to eat so I sat and forced myself to eat all my calories. This morning I work up just feeling sick to belly for over eating, What do I do? Everyone says you have to eat required amount.

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Eating for the sake of eating can't be good whatever the context, I eat when I am hungry and do not listen to the starvation myth spouted so often on here doing my own research and getting advice from medical professionals instead.

Read this and make up your own mind.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but if you are struggling with eating enough, you will want to look towards eating more calorie-dense foods throughout the day, like full-fat dairy, peanut butter, and oils. Often, it's a struggle to balance eating enough rather than eating too much or too little - people tend to go to extremes, which is why yo-yo dieting is so prevalent, and you do not want to go down that route.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If you're full, don't eat. If you're consistently under eating for weeks then revise your plan but I can promise you, your appetite will catch up! It takes a couple of weeks for your body to figure things out.
    And I can also promise you that you won't starve. That's nonsense.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there's any reason to be that specific about it. Both the calorie goal and the calorie burns aren't exact for everyone. You don't want to have a huge deficit but if you have about 100 calories left, that's not a huge deal. Plus there's nothing wrong with going over a little one day and under a little the next - no need to be so precise, as long as your average for the week is close to target. For example: a lot of times I don't feel very hungry after working out so I might come in a little under goal but the next day it usually catches up to me so I might end up going over goal. It all evens out in the end.

What you can do is try to plan your eating better. If you know you'll be exercising on a particular day, pack an extra snack or two. Ditto on the calorie dense foods mentioned above. Many people also find it's easier to get their calories in liquid form rather than eating more solid food. You could make a smoothie or protein shake.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree with the if you are full then don't worry about it (I wish I had that problem)

If it is a regular thing and you are dropping weight really fast and are concerned then think about planning your food ahead of time some. I know I follow a regular routine so usually I know ahead of time "ok, its monday, I run in the evening and usually burn about 400 cals doing that" so start planning for your increased targeted calories in the morning and try to eat some more calorie dense foods if you need to as mentioned above. Nut are usually a good way to up calories without feeling like you are eating a ton or just add a little extra olive oil to your meat when you cook it to up the calories a bit without increasing food quantity much.
  • glitterstreet
    Options
    Sometimes exercise can repress your appetite and you may feel hungrier the next day. If you full stuffed, stop eating and use those calories when you feel the need.
  • danyleewell
    danyleewell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Its not a normal thing. If it was just the 1400 I would have been fine with a simply dinner. Ate great all day, fruit veggies protein, no junk food it was just I worked out and everyone was saying I had to eat those calories. I still made good choices like tomato's with old bay, etc. but it was over eating that I felt sick. Okay so next time I am just not going to eat. Thanks again
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you fill up on large amounts of low calorie foods, then it will be harder to get enough calories. If you aim for more calorie dense foods (ie things that are higher in fat) then it will be easier. Fats are not bad choices.