I need some friends who understand...

Options

Replies

• izzie_loves_2_run
    Options
    I tried this shake called right size smoothie, it works, the only thing i did not like was that they try and sale you extra things. But it gave me energy and it kind of works like a clenser, due to caffine it really flushes you out, and keeps you full. Its less calories and more filling that slim fast, also you can blen it with almond milk or silk milk, ice and a fruit of your choice in the blender, I use to have a cup of that and a boiled egg in the morning before I did my first run, or just because.
  • tifelayne
    Options
    Thank you all for your stories. They are incredibly motivating to me, and I hope one day that my story will help to motivate others. What an amazing resource this website is...I wish I had discovered this sooner!
  • izzie_loves_2_run
    Options
    instead of slim fast, try special k. they are better, and i have asian family i know they eat horrible and are paper thin. Also try increasing your water. You may be gaining weight because you dont eat enough...have thought about that? try to eat 6 small meals a day. things thaat will fill you up not high in fat and sodium, like spinach, almonds (unsalted) and fresh fruit. Also you can eat as much raw dark green veggies as you want. i bring raw broccoli to work and grape fruit as a snack in between meals. Stay strong. we weight the same amount. I was just 266 April of this year! you can do it dear!
  • tifelayne
    Options
    instead of slim fast, try special k. they are better, and i have asian family i know they eat horrible and are paper thin. Also try increasing your water. You may be gaining weight because you dont eat enough...have thought about that? try to eat 6 small meals a day. things thaat will fill you up not high in fat and sodium, like spinach, almonds (unsalted) and fresh fruit. Also you can eat as much raw dark green veggies as you want. i bring raw broccoli to work and grape fruit as a snack in between meals. Stay strong. we weight the same amount. I was just 266 April of this year! you can do it dear!

Thank you! I do have the added health problems of hypothyroidism and PCOS to contend with...that does make losing weight extra hard. I do drink a lot of water, but I don't eat as many healthy foods as I should. I haven't looked into the Special K shakes yet, but I will.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I would ditch the SlimFast and just eat regular food.

Eat at a reasonable caloric deficit and move more. It's really that simple, just not always easy.

This
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm a 29 year old mom of two and I'm shorter and fatter than you... lol

I don't do slim-fast but I'm a big fan of protein smoothies, etc. Like the others are saying though, you can eat food-food too... stick around :wink:
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I know you're right. SlimFast isn't the healthiest thing in the world. I'm just using it to get started, and then I want to switch to something healthier

I'd caution against this approach...it's the foundation for yo-yo weight. Instead of doing something temporarily and then switching, maybe the approach I used would work for you.

I focused on making one small change at a time over the course of many months. I had steady results with this approach and have now been in maintenance for several months. This approach ensures that the changes become a part of your lifestyle - they say it takes 3 weeks for something to become habit so that's what I used for my timeline.

First 3 weeks: log everything. No other changes - just wanted to get an idea of what I was eating.
    Then, I started measuring, focusing on smaller portion sizes.
    Then, I would swap one thing - so instead of cookies as a snack at work, Greek yogurt
    Then, I'd swap another thing - having an apple with pb as a nighttime snack instead of ice cream.

Other little changes were things like adding veggies to meals that I didn't normally put veggies in, and continuing my efforts with portion control, and eventually working out (though that wasn't until I had lost at least half the weight).

This has been a very sustainable process for me...hope you find success!
  • lynnfredrickson
    Options
    Hi there !! My name is Lynn and I am trying to lose 20lbs and have always sruggled with my weight I'm 5'3 and currenty weigh 189. I have lost three pounds in 7 days following the 1200 calorie a day diet and walking 60 minutes a day, I am very lucky becuase I live in beautiful Colorado right in the middle of the mountains ,, so I have great hiking trails for great work outs , but my motovation to lose weight this time is my mom, she has had kidney failure and I want to donate my kidney ,, but I need to lose and matain 170lbs before the surgery . I hope to get a group of friends that support weight loss and are going through the same struggles I am. Hope to hear from you. Have a Great day.
    Lynn
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I am the same height as you and started logging at around 210 lbs. My "normal" before joining this site was in the range of 180-190 so I have always been the fat friend/ family member.

I started out eating the low cal snacks (special K bars etc) and found they were not satisfying. Once I started filling up on vegetables things got alot easier and I can manage my calories very well now.

Feel free to add me, I am on daily and always willing to help.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i'm in a similar boat of always being the 'biggest' at about the same size - feel free to add me as a friend!
  • lseis123
    lseis123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    HI, and good luck with your journey. I too have tried many different diets but have gained back the weight that I lost plus. I am an emotional eater, whether it is a good or a bad emotion. I went through a divorce 6 years ago and lost all of my self esteem. I have found that MFP has really given me the help I need.

I started on Jan. 26 of this year and am down 57lbs, I have also started to like myself more. Hopefully through this process I will learn to love myself and be able to continue on this path.

I feel like I am in control of myself and have not had to give up anything, I just stay within my calorie limit and walk/ride exercise bike.

Good Luck!
  • abkelty
    abkelty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should try the Whole 30 diet! It works really well and if you really stick with it, it shows great results! So what it is, is a 30 day diet (but you can keep it going if you want), but the thing is it's pretty hard and you have to have lots of self control (which was a problem for me). So you basically cannot have any: starches, breads, milk products, sugar... You are basically on a meat, veggie, and fruit diet (but not too much fruit because they have tons of sugar some times!) It's hard, but in 1month I lost 15 pounds! You also have to be ready to cook all of the time.

http://whole9life.com/2013/08/the-whole30-program/
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    If Slim Fast really worked...by now no one would be fat. Its been around a long time and it will not fix you.
  • TaxPrepLiz
    TaxPrepLiz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I too married a super skinny guy. He is constantly worried about losing weight if he doesn't get enough calories each day, and to add insult to injury, when he overeats, he simply poops more!
    Still, I love every inch of that 6'2", 155 lb man...
    Have I mentioned that my current goal weight is to simply weigh less than him?

This is me and my guy!:laugh:
  • pinkpony70
    Options
    My husband/friends/family are the same. I agree about the slimfast. Its full of sugar. Try AdvantEDGE shakes, you can get them at GNC or even Walmart and they are high protein low sugar and they taste pretty good. Welcome, we all understand
  • Grammie4VT
    Grammie4VT Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I too married a super skinny guy. He is constantly worried about losing weight if he doesn't get enough calories each day, and to add insult to injury, when he overeats, he simply poops more!
    Still, I love every inch of that 6'2", 155 lb man...
    Have I mentioned that my current goal weight is to simply weigh less than him?
    I totally know how you feel! My husband and I weigh almost exactly the same and he is 6 ft. and I am 5'4" :( I just want to weigh less than he does!!!
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    add me! I have a skinny boyfriend and a healthy baby! All of our friends are skinny. I gained 90 pounds with pregnancy and I'm struggling to get it off!!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Hi slimfast! Lol I totally feel your pain. I am white and married to an Asian. He and his entire family are incredibly skinny and cannot seem to gain weight even as they shovel piles of white rice, greasy noodles, meat with fat, and whatever else they want to eat. They don't exercise, either. Well....yeah. My kids are also skinny. Hey, good for them.
    One problem, aside from being thought of as HUGE by my Asian family members, is that I am the "mom" that must prepare huge piles of food for them and then NOT eat it and STILL be judged for being huge. WTF, right? I have never been a big eater, I don't actually eat out, and have been a healthy eater. But if I eat like over 1600 per day, I will gain weight. Maintenance for me to be at around 170 is about 1400-1600, which most people consider to be their "dieting" food intake. And I am still overweight at 170. I am 5'9" and right now I am down from the 190s into almost 180, but I eat fewer than 1000 a day. Luckily, my ballet dancer daughter is helping and supporting me now, UNLIKE the rest of my family.

I like slimfast shakes, and adkins bars for the bfast and lunch hours, it makes life easy. Then for dinner, big bowls of soup such as pumpkin soup, roasted cauliflower soup, and black bean soup are low calorie and yet filling.

If your maintenance for 170 pounds is 1400 calories, you should 1. Make sure you're actually eating 1400 calories and not underestimating or 2. Go to a doctor. Seriously, that's weird. Good luck losing!
  • Donnaml24
    Options
    Welcome my Dear. First steps are always the most difficult. My name is Donna. I've lost 39 lbs since January, quit smoking, and feel great! Some tips:

I incorporated a Fitbit tracker. It helps measure your activity and makes getting your butt in gear fun!
    Garden Lites veggie souffle's are awesome and with a whole wheat sandwich thin, fresh spinach and kale, make a great lunch!
    4 small meals a day - every 3 hours, really keep you going.
    Water, water, water!
    Green tea - make it yourself. No mixes.
    Smoothies rule!
    Move, move, move!
    Real food. Prep ahead if you need to. You're worth the time and effort!

And lastly, get in touch if you need me :-) you got this!
  • czigl
    czigl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration ! this site has helped me in the past,so here I am again! I truly think weight lose has alot to do with why you want to be thin. And holding yourself accountable. So here we go lets do this for us!