How is this possible

Options
Just a little back story before I ask my question. I started MFP about a year or so ago after being on WW for 2 years. After their program changed I stopped losing weight and came here. I set up my account and ate calories given to me (1200) and did not eat back exercise calories and lost most of the last 30lbs. Then I discovered the message boards and saw everything about TDEE, BMR, starvation mode etc. but by then I was almost ready to begin maintenance. My question is MFP says for maintenance I should eat 1470 calories per day for sedentary (I chose this because my fitbit adds activity calories). Some wise people told me to gradually increase my calories, which I have been doing. This is the past 3 months data.... Month 1 - average weight 111.0 (increased by 50 cal. per week) Month 2- average weight 111.3 (increased another 50 cals) Month 3- average weight 112.8 (increased another 50 cals). Can my maintenace calories really be 1350? Keep in mind that I have not even started on eating back exercise cals yet and I average around 300 per day according to Fit Bit.

Replies

• n8whit
    n8whit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if your are insulin resistant. Eat the 1350 calories a day but do so gluten (bread/ wheat) free. Then see if you lose or maintain. You can probably go to 1600-1700 calories a day if you eat all natural (non-starchy fruits & vegetables, meat, cream butter, eggs etc.)

Bottom line- if you are insulin resistant, then your holds on to carbs. Try going to 75 grams of carbs or less also. Not only will you lose or maintain, but your energy levels will shoot through the roof (after day 2) as your pancreas and adrenal system is able to rest.

Final thought, what is your blood type? A lot of people do not buy into it, but my own physician actually does. If you are type O, then you should eat one large meal per day avoiding only breads and if you are type A or AB, you should eat five small meals a day. One big meal a day means you come from an ancestry of hunters and five small meals are from gatherers.
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    There is a thread around here somewhere about glycogen and water storage. Your body wants to have approximately 5 lbs of glycogen and the necessary water to make it soluble stored for quick fuel. This is usually the first thing lost in a deficit and the first thing put back on in a surplus/maintenance.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    There is a thread around here somewhere about glycogen and water storage. Your body wants to have approximately 5 lbs of glycogen and the necessary water to make it soluble stored for quick fuel. This is usually the first thing lost in a deficit and the first thing put back on in a surplus/maintenance.

pretty much this ..

I read that thread. what you want to do is actually cut an additional 5 pounds below your goal weight, and then when you go to maintenance as your glycogen stores fill back up you will gain 5 pounds but be at your goal weight...

so if goal weight is 170 ,cut to 165 then go to maintenance and you will be 170 after glycogen fills back up ..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    It sounds as if your are insulin resistant. Eat the 1350 calories a day but do so gluten (bread/ wheat) free. Then see if you lose or maintain. You can probably go to 1600-1700 calories a day if you eat all natural (non-starchy fruits & vegetables, meat, cream butter, eggs etc.)

Bottom line- if you are insulin resistant, then your holds on to carbs. Try going to 75 grams of carbs or less also. Not only will you lose or maintain, but your energy levels will shoot through the roof (after day 2) as your pancreas and adrenal system is able to rest.

Final thought, what is your blood type? A lot of people do not buy into it, but my own physician actually does. If you are type O, then you should eat one large meal per day avoiding only breads and if you are type A or AB, you should eat five small meals a day. One big meal a day means you come from an ancestry of hunters and five small meals are from gatherers.

I am curious as to how you diagnosed the OP as insulin resilient just based on this one post??
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I am curious as to how you diagnosed the OP as insulin resilient just based on this one post??

Ah yup - I'm curious too
  • kishstl
    kishstl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Why not use bodyfat percentage as your guide vs. bodyweight. Bodyweight is great if you want to know how much gravitational force is directed at the mass of your body but tells you nothing of the composition of that mass. A previous poster is correct that in a calorie deficit you are using most of your dietary intake of carbohydrates as fuel (with bodyfat also) and not storing glycogen and water in the muscle. As soon as you slightly increase your intake to a maintenance level you will experience a HEALTHY slight increase in bodyweight. Your muscle performance will improve as will your energy levels.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Here's the thread you're thinking of: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071202-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

strong first post.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    How is 1470 maintenance for you? Even sedentary, I'm sure that's closer to your BMR than actual "maintenance."
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Hunters all type O, gatherers all types A or AB.......as absurd as diagnosing the OP as Insulin Resisitant based on the post.....give me a break!
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Well, depending on how tall you are, at 111 pounds you may well be in the 1300-1400 calorie maintenance range. I'm 5'1" and at 99 pounds MFP tells me that my maintenance is at 1320 for sedentary. The curse of being short and light is that unless you're also moving a lot you just don't get to eat much. Yep, it sucks.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Just a little back story before I ask my question. I started MFP about a year or so ago after being on WW for 2 years. After their program changed I stopped losing weight and came here. I set up my account and ate calories given to me (1200) and did not eat back exercise calories and lost most of the last 30lbs. Then I discovered the message boards and saw everything about TDEE, BMR, starvation mode etc. but by then I was almost ready to begin maintenance. My question is MFP says for maintenance I should eat 1470 calories per day for sedentary (I chose this because my fitbit adds activity calories). Some wise people told me to gradually increase my calories, which I have been doing. This is the past 3 months data.... Month 1 - average weight 111.0 (increased by 50 cal. per week) Month 2- average weight 111.3 (increased another 50 cals) Month 3- average weight 112.8 (increased another 50 cals). Can my maintenace calories really be 1350? Keep in mind that I have not even started on eating back exercise cals yet and I average around 300 per day according to Fit Bit.

When you increase your calories, you will see an initial small gain but it will go away once your body starts to balance back out again. I wouldn't stress over just that small amount of weight because your body can fluctuate a lot more based on TOM, sodium intake, water, time you weighed yourself, etc. on any given day. I would actually try to increase your calories a bit more instead of 50 cal per week, try 100 cal per week and start eating at least some of your exercise calories back. I know it sounds scary, but just stick with it and don't get discouraged by small changes in the scale.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Ditto. How does one diagnose insulin resistance over the interweb??
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Sugar---if there truly WAS a starvation mode--do you REALLY think all those people in the German concentration camps would have died??????? NOPE !!!!!!!!! Listen to your body, it will tell you WHEN you need food.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Sugar---if there truly WAS a starvation mode--do you REALLY think all those people in the German concentration camps would have died??????? NOPE !!!!!!!!! Listen to your body, it will tell you WHEN you need food.

I don't think anyone mentioned starvation mode..

anyone got a translation on this...?
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone mentioned starvation mode..

anyone got a translation on this...?

They need a Snickers bar. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Oh wow, so much misinformation here.

1. You cannot assume she is insulin resistant just by her one post, and make a suggestion based on it.
    2. The blood type diet is quackology at it's finest. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/blood-type-diet/

OP, the glycogen replenishment makes the most sense here, though how much of it your body wants to keep as ready fuel is dependent on your body size, so I wouldn't go 5 lbs under, but rather 2 to 3 for a woman of your apparent size. Good luck!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Weight recovery post-restriction primarily comes from two sources: 1) the replenishment of water, glycogen and food intake; and 2) replenishment of fat mass.

1) Replenishment of water, glycogen and food intake
    I don't view the recovery weight from water, glycogen and food a true gain during the transition to maintenance. When you restrict calories, your body is no longer in a state of homeostasis as it holds less water, glycogen and sometimes food. By returning to maintenance (homeostasis), you are simply recovering the lost weight from those sources. From this, it's expected to replenish a few lbs (kg) worth until weight remains relatively stable.

2) Replenishment of fat mass
    We all regain some fat mass when returning to maintenance. On one side of the spectrum, a person may regain a very insignificant amount which has little to no impact on scale weight or body composition; on the opposite side, one may end up returning to their original weight with even greater fat mass than baseline when maintenance is reached.

Those who recover the least may be characterized by the following:
    1) Restriction period(s) is relatively short compared to maintenance period(s).
    2) Most of the restrictive period is spent adhering to a smaller deficit which is further reduced as fat mass decreases.
    3) Weight loss is slow.
    4) Minimal loss in lean mass.
    5) Minimal decrease in energy expenditure potential.
    6) Minimal change in metabolic hormone values and receptors' ability in accurately monitoring such values.

Those who recover the most may be characterized by the following:
    1) Restriction period(s) is relatively long compared to maintenance period(s).
    2) Most of the restrictive period is spent adhering to a larger deficit.
    3) Weight loss is rapid.
    4) Considerable loss in lean mass.
    5) Considerable decrease in energy expenditure potential.
    6) Considerable change in metabolic hormone values and receptors' ability in accurately monitoring such values.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

No. That's really really really really bad.

You have to overshoot and then hit the ground running. otherwise you'll be doomed to eat nothing for the rest of eternity.

go back on the diet, and then go about 3kg under goal. then eat at maintenance. Bang. You'll whack 2kg back on in the first week, have a heart attack: but you're under goal so you'll have faith.

Next week carry on. there's an incredibly good post about this issue somewhere on teh site. I hope someone links it for you, it explains everything so incredibly clearly.
  • Linda09189
    Options
    I'm type O blood and I've eaten one meal a day for many years, clearly this does NOT work for me, besides
    how do you keep your metabolism going eating only once a day, that is not good for you, maybe it will
    work for some ppl, but clearly not me