Birth Control & Weight Gain (Women Only)

Options
I have been on Implanon birth control for 3 years, and it's coming time to take it out (it's only good for 3 years). I think it's been contributing to my weight gain, but I've heard other birth controls do, too. Any one have any tips on which birth control I should take after I'm done with this one? Thanks!

Replies

• ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Nuvaring and have never had any trouble with weight gain/loss or impacting my metabolism. But, I'm not a doctor so what works for me may not work for you. Find a good doctor-you might need to experiment a bit until you find something that works for you.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Every women reacts differently. It took about 4 tries for me to find one that worked well for me. Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about all of it. Some BC options though don't make you gain weight outright but make you hungry all the time. The last one I was on was ortho tri-cyclin (sp?) and I didn't gain on that one. But I have several friends who have had great luck with loestrin whereas I gained about 10 lbs in 3 weeks on that one. So just experimentation is the key unfortunately!
  • beepermad
    beepermad Posts: 198
    Options
    What kenzie said. Different strokes for different ladies. I just got on the Mirena back in June, and it increased my appetite like WHOA (in addition to giving me a 13 yr old's complexion). It's only within the past month or two that my hormones have adjusted. Face clear. Dropped 10-15 pounds (not that that was ALL gained while adjusting to Mirena).
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    A nurse at work went to a conference for women given by female doctors. According to the OB/GYN that spoke, on average women only gain 5lbs due to hormonal birth control. I think this average is total BULLS%#T!

BC does react differently for everyone. I also have Merina IUD and even tho they say it only releases hormomes to the uterus and it shouldn't cause weight gain it does.

Best bet is to talk to your doc about options. The only type of non-hormonal BC at this point is the Copper T IUD. It contains no hormones at all and protects like Merina. Also has the same risks as Merina, but different side effects.
  • samyGrl87
    samyGrl87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree, every woman will have different reactions to it. I would talk with your dr. You might have to try a few to see which one you like that doesn't affect your weight.
  • shawnakrebs
    shawnakrebs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the Nexplanon Implant and I haven't seen any problems with weight gain, but I never had that issue with all the other oral ones either, from Ortho Low, to Yaz to generic brands. As others have said, hormones affect everyone differently. If it is a concern, talk to you OB/GYN. Together you might be able to find a better form of BC that works well with your body.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Not everyone should take Yasmin, because there's a higher risk of blood clots than with other BCs, however it is slightly diuretic, which helps with water retention, and the synthetic progesterone that is in it sometimes works very well for women who have had trouble with other versions of the pill. It's something to discuss with your doctor, with respect to your medical and family history.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight with Implanon.

But I also ended up with horrible, horrible acne.

I ended up on Yasmin which I've had no issues with
  • rhychellew
    rhychellew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i spent 3 years on the depo injections and my weight fluctuated all the time, i switched to the implanon and have slowly over the last 6-9 months put on about 20lbs or more no matter how much i exercise and how little i eat. it's frustrating but the benefits of it outweigh the weight i think. I'm stuck for options as i can't take most pills, they give me severe nausea and vomiting.
    anyone with any advice to bring your weight down while on implanon send your comments or msgs this way!
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just have a general generic of monophasic pills. I find that while on them, I do retain some water weight, which is evident by the fact that my chest will get a little bigger. Then, when it's period time, that weight usually comes off.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I ended up on Yasmin which I've had no issues with

I've just been taken off Yasmin as it gave me IBS! I really agree its not 'one thing fits all' though.

From researching alternatives the copper IUD seems to be the only hormone free solution. However I was told they would dissuade me from having one as I hadn't had children.

I need to go back to the drawing board...
  • ghiblit
    Options
    I've been on Nexplanon for a year. I don't eat carbs, I do not eat snacks, I do not eat out, I even avoid potatoes. I have been on this diet for a month and there's been no change. I had to get a regimen of acne cremes from my dermatologist because my skin went to hell and now it seems to have calmed down after a year.

Also, I've been a vegetarian for 2 months now.

I am taking with this 100mg of topamax for migraines, usually that's enough to have me LOSE weight.

I honestly don't know if I can last another 2 years like this.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    hmm. I've been on Mirena for about two months now and have had a steady loss of 1.5 lbs a week. Again I think the thing is different women react differently to bc. Good luck! Wish you the best for whichever you choose.
  • Lois_J
    Lois_J Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started birth control in July 2013 with a starting weight of 120. By November, my weight was 145, so I came off of it. It is now the end of February, and I am the same weight. My body composition has changed. I completed Jillian Michaels 30DS and I am currently working on RI30 Week 2.

Im not sure why I can't drop the pounds.

Any suggestions or advice.

Thanks
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i love the nuvraring have been on and off it (in between children) for years.

i have not found any weight related issues with any birth control ive used. i actually think its only a small percentage of people and it should only be a about 5lbs or less.. anything more i would attribute to other things related to diet
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I find that my willpower is more lacking when I am on hormonal birth control. So it's not necessarily that the pill (or shot) makes me gain weight, as it makes it harder to abstain from foods that put me over my calorie limit for the day.

I've recently decided I don't want to do the hormone thing anymore and I'm getting my tubes tied next month.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Nouvaring made me break out in hives!

I take a low hormone pill and it gave me bad anxiety at first (not something I usually have a problem with). It has definitely made me gain weight. I feel like I started accumulating belly fat easier after taking it too. Better than the weight I would gain if I had another baby though!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I was on the Depo shot for 8 years. About 3 years into it I stopped taking it to have my son and then went back on it for another 5 years when my doctor told me I needed to pick a different BC because you're not supposed to be on Depo that long. I then switched to the Mirena, was on that for 5 years, took it out to hava a baby and then got a new one after I have my daughter and have had it in for almost 2 years now. I have never gotten pregnant on BC, only after I was taken off it did that happen, so they've always worked for me. I had my son 12 years ago and stayed around 202, I went up to 212 when I got the Mirena the first time and then shot up to 230 when I had my daughter. I can't really say whether it was the BC or the pregnancies that made me gain weight. Could have been the complete lack of caring what I put in my body that did it too. I can say that currently, nothing but me, myself and I are holding me back from losing the weight. I'm back down to 200 and live for the day my scale doesn't start with a 2 in my digits. :bigsmile:
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    deleted seeing as how this post is from NOVEMBER