Late night protein shakes detrimental to weight loss?

Options
So, I normally don't get to the gym or go running until late (like 9-10 PM). I come home after and have a protein shake to "eat back" my exercise calories. Is this detrimental to weight loss? I've read that eating past a certain time can inhibit results but I'm not sure how I'd function not eating past 7 PM if I'm still up and moving around.

I should mention I haven't noticed any weight loss, or gain (of course that would require weighing myself - my battery is broken lol). I have noticed I'm not sore the next day if I eat and/or drink something substantial afterwards.

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    The only thing detrimental to weight loss is a calorie surplus. Also, meal timing is personal preference.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you, perhaps have the shake prior to the workout? Great thing about the protein shakes is they metabolize so quickly. Then just eat back whatever remains post workout. It won't be so much then.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Nope, at least if your experience follows mine. I actually have a fiber-rich smoothie each night, and my weight loss has actually improve (mainly because I'm retaining less water through a higher consumption of liquid, which includes the smoothie).
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The only thing detrimental to weight loss is a calorie surplus. Also, meal timing is personal preference.

^ Truth.
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think your fine.
    Ultimately, its about calories in and calories out :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Yup. Continue doing what you're doing.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options

Close the thread. Not gonna get any more clear than this.
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Time of day has absolutely nothing to do with it. Just stay within your calorie goal and you are fine.

Everyone who ever told you that time of day matters is just plain wrong.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    calories in/calories out.

Think about it for just a second...if your body requires, for example, 2200 calories per day to maintain...then that would mean that your body is "burning" roughly 2200 calories within a 24 hour period...that being so, why would it make one bit of difference when you consumed those calories?
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I have one before bed all the time. Go for it!
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    If anyone tells you yes- shoot them. You can eat whatever you'd like at any time of the day as long as you stay within your calorie budget. Nutrient timing is not important.

Also, do you not think our bodies require food during sleep? Our brain uses up to 20% of energy during sleep. So, go ahead and chug that shake :drinker:
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The people telling you that the story about meal timing mattering is just wrong--they're just right.

That one has been thoroughly refuted. Doesn't matter when you eat, matters how much you eat and move, and it sounds like you're doing great on both scores. Drink up!