Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

IBS help

I have got IBS and after suffering for over a year I've finally been referred to a gastroenterologist. I have been told I will probably not get an appointment for several weeks though. Has anyone seen one? I am intrigued to find out what they actually do. Thanks

Replies

• srankara2004
    srankara2004 Posts: 9 Member
    I am rather familiar with gastroenterologists unfortunately...they are probably going to want to do more tests like blood work, fecal sample, colonoscopy and/or endoscopy depending on your symptoms to make sure that is what you have and not something else more serious like inflammatory bowel disease disease or celiac disease. Depending on your symptoms of IBS and if everything comes back normal, they will give you suggestions to help it with diet and probably some medication to help with diarrhea and/or constipation.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Same as any other doctors they diagnose and treat but their special tools tend to be endoscopes that go in either end, not as bad as it sounds. Google them lots of information available, but do not worry nothing to be scared of.
  • Gavery1
    Gavery1 Posts: 74 Member
    Thank you for the info. I did wonder if they did further tests as I've had so many at doctors. I have googled but found so much information I'm left a bit confused. I also wonder what diet they will try me on?
  • JDking22
    JDking22 Posts: 12 Member
    IBS diets depend on your symptoms. I have IBS and basically they just prescribed me a new med to help with chronic constipation. The new meds have helped but for the last three days I have been going gluten free as well and I am less bloated. I am going to ask to be tested for a gluten allergy if these Next few weeks Go well.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    I don't trust medical doctors. I have had terrible experiences.
    I put myself on a gluten free regime and also cut out lactose.
    My IBS was chronic. It has now gone for good!

Everyone is different but sometimes you have to take control of your own health.
  • Gavery1
    I have been gluten free for a long time which helped at first but symptoms got worse so then cut out lactose and still no change. I am on meds for the pain as was in agony and they seam to work OK but they are only masking what the problem is. I am still very very bloated and want to control this in my own with diet but I'm aware that mucking around with it too much may make the problem worse. I suppose I am just being impatient and should wait for the appointment but its really getting me down.

Oh have also followed FODMAP diet and no improvement.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    My IBS turned out to be Ulcerative Colitis treated with Steroids and then with Mercaptopurine now in remission and getting back to fighting fit.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    You've definitely tried the more obvious self-experiments which I applaud you for. I can only wish you patience and luck - hope it turns out to be something well known and fixable :-)
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Gastroenternoligists, in my exp, are overpaid for what is mainly guesswork. Especially when it comes to something subjective like IBS.

Try Equalactin (you may have to order it online) before bed, and drink plenty of water throughout the day.

I've suffered about 16 years.

Personally, I take the Metamucil Psyllium capsules throughout the day to stop myself up, and drink coffee in the mornings to make myself "go" before resuming the Psyllium.....
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Also, when you're experiencing pain (soreness from a bad bought) try enteric coated Peppermint capsules (most have ginger and fennel). It works as an internal mild anesthetic to ease intestinal pain.
  • It's good to go to the GI and have other things ruled out. After I had more serious issues ruled out then my GI discussed diet with me. I thought I knew the right things to eat, I didn't. I was eating too much insoluble fiber as opposed to enough soluble fiber and I was causing more problems. Besides changing my diet, I also started taking probiotics daily. I will swear to you that the probiotics changed my life, for the better. Not only do they help me with the IBS, but also reflux, I have almost no reflux anymore. There are different kinds of probiotics out there and different kinds are used for different things. Discuss with your GI. I take the Jarrow ultra jarro-dophilis and it works for me, but it's STRONG. I ok'd it with my doctor first.
  • Gavery1
    Thanks so much for all of your replies and info. Nice to know I'm not alone in this