Liver?

ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
OK I HATE HATE liver (all organ meats for that matter), but I'm trying to find ways to bump up my iron and liver is a great source.

Anyone have any ideas for recipes that cover the gross, organ meat taste of liver?

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    OK I HATE HATE liver (all organ meats for that matter), but I'm trying to find ways to bump up my iron and liver is a great source.

Anyone have any ideas for recipes that cover the gross, organ meat taste of liver?

If you eat enough of these spinach and other foods that are high in iron: Kale, lentils, I doubt you will need to eat liver.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Fava beans, bacon, butter, onions, garlic. Chianti.

Liver patte is a little heavy on the kcals but is absolutely delicious.

7c054bd8e9af11e29c6822000a1f9688_7.jpg
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    First of all, I personally think one shouldn't force oneself to eat something one really HATES! No matter how healthy it is. There are other foods rich in iron which you might enjoy more.

If you feel you absolutely have to eat liver - which kind have you tried? The flavour of chicken liver isn't as strong as pork. Maybe you'd prefer that? I eat liver in the traditional German way: I soak it in buttermilk (milder flavour), then I fry lots of onions and apple pieces, take the liver out, dry it, coat it in a thin layer of flour and fry it, too. Serve with mashed potatoes. I also like sauerkraut with it.
    However, that's probably for people who really like liver.

You could chop the liver and mix it into meatballs or into a kind of meat hotpot with some kind of red meat.
  • ldrosophila
    First of all, I personally think one shouldn't force oneself to eat something one really HATES! No matter how healthy it is. There are other foods rich in iron which you might enjoy more.

If you feel you absolutely have to eat liver - which kind have you tried? The flavour of chicken liver isn't as strong as pork. Maybe you'd prefer that? I eat liver in the traditional German way: I soak it in buttermilk (milder flavour), then I fry lots of onions and apple pieces, take the liver out, dry it, coat it in a thin layer of flour and fry it, too. Serve with mashed potatoes. I also like sauerkraut with it.
    However, that's probably for people who really like liver.

You could chop the liver and mix it into meatballs or into a kind of meat hotpot with some kind of red meat.

It's just such a great source of protein and iron, and a serving of chicken livers provides 72% of your daily value plus it's heme iron so its readily available that's why I want to try it.

Great ideas.
  • ldrosophila

that sounds good and you lead me to discover chicken is a pretty good source of iron
  • ldrosophila
    Fava beans, bacon, butter, onions, garlic. Chianti.

Liver patte is a little heavy on the kcals but is absolutely delicious.

7c054bd8e9af11e29c6822000a1f9688_7.jpg

pate! of course
  • ldrosophila

If you eat enough of these spinach and other foods that are high in iron: Kale, lentils, I doubt you will need to eat liver.

Oh agree there are great sources out there and will of course add green leafies, nuts, dried fruit, beans (plant iron is a little less harder to get without help from vitamin C), but the only problem is a cup of kale provides 5% of my needs while 1 liver of chicken provides 31% of heme iron. I can maximize my iron intake with only a few bites if I suck it up be a big girl and eat some liver. :sick:
  • ldrosophila
    NVM it was pointed out to me a nice slab of ribeye is loaded with iron and at 36% that is correct.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    You could try elk liver. You might be able to find it at a local butcher. I've had it sauteed with onions, garlic, peppers and carrots. I also eat Kale and spinach for iron.

You can make a pate out of the liver, place some on crackers, bread, or even a tortilla. You can put the pate on celery. I know it sounds strange, but sometimes it helps to try eating food a new way.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Do you have an iron deficiency or something?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Nothing makes liver okay. Nothing.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Mix it into any recipe that calls for ground beef. Rice dressing works really well.

ETA: use it WITH the ground beef not as a substitute for it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

Green & Black's 85% cocoa chocolate: Six squares are 20% of the RDA for iron.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    I have a wonderful trick for you from my boyfriend's amazing Peruvian family (though the recipe comes from his Mexican uncle I believe). Try to find a hispanic aisle at your grocery store or a little bodega of some type (I don't know your location but we have tons of these in NJ- even in our nearby predominantly Jewish town, they stock a whole aisle of hispanic cooking supplies) and find colorado peppers or aji pancha paste. They're red (or brownish red) and dried up in a little pack usually. You take them, grind them up with a food processor or mortar and pestle, and marinate the "anticucho" in it, then grill.

My boyfriend had kept telling me his family makes beef hearts and I had said I wanted to try them. At a barbecue, I made a huge plate, devoured all these kebabs, and then asked, "so when do I get to try the hearts?" He told me I had just eaten a bunch of them. I seriously had NO idea! I thought it was just plain marinated beef! and it was sooo tender! Lots of iron and VERYY cheap to purchase. I'm sure it may work with other organ meats! And kebabs are always a good way to go to fool people :laugh:

Here's a recipe I found online: http://www.food.com/recipe/peruvian-anticuchos-182583

enjoy!! :D
  • ldrosophila

Green & Black's 85% cocoa chocolate: Six squares are 20% of the RDA for iron.

mmmmm chocolate
  • ldrosophila
    I have a wonderful trick for you from my boyfriend's amazing Peruvian family (though the recipe comes from his Mexican uncle I believe). Try to find a hispanic aisle at your grocery store or a little bodega of some type (I don't know your location but we have tons of these in NJ- even in our nearby predominantly Jewish town, they stock a whole aisle of hispanic cooking supplies) and find colorado peppers or aji pancha paste. They're red (or brownish red) and dried up in a little pack usually. You take them, grind them up with a food processor or mortar and pestle, and marinate the "anticucho" in it, then grill.

My boyfriend had kept telling me his family makes beef hearts and I had said I wanted to try them. At a barbecue, I made a huge plate, devoured all these kebabs, and then asked, "so when do I get to try the hearts?" He told me I had just eaten a bunch of them. I seriously had NO idea! I thought it was just plain marinated beef! and it was sooo tender! Lots of iron and VERYY cheap to purchase. I'm sure it may work with other organ meats! And kebabs are always a good way to go to fool people :laugh:

Here's a recipe I found online: http://www.food.com/recipe/peruvian-anticuchos-182583

enjoy!! :D

yum! and i live in eastern cali so no problem finding hispanic food
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Pretty hard to cover up the taste of liver...though I'd never want to.

Fried chicken livers might be a treat for you. If doing beef liver, be sure it is calve's liver. The younger the beast, the lighter and more tender the liver.

Off hand, I'm thinking pan fried with onions, red wine and thyme.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    peanut oil at 350 and zatarans...
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Try a tin of smoked oysters or artichoke hearts once in awhile.