Metabolism Reset

Options
Hi everyone.

I have been reading about resetting your metabolism.

But I am little confused now. I am averaging about 1700 calories a day for almost 3 weeks now. (which I found out is way below my BMR - thus the reason for feeling so tired and sluggish) But I am not loosing anything, not inches or lbs, but also not gaining. Been 275lbs :-( for more than 5 months now - not loosing or gaining.

Now, should I up my calories to my full TDEE which is 2868 per day for maintaining my weight if my weight is currently being maintained with 1700 calories? Or what is my weight up to then?

I am exercising 5 days a week, 30 minutes of walking at average of 2.5mph. Only started weight lifting this week.

I am really confused. Afraid to up the calories & weight gain, but know that I must up calories above my BMR which is 2020 cals.

But if I am so low below my BMR - why is my weight maintaining. :frown:

Replies

• bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    First of all, it is normal for you to stall for 3 weeks or longer (even up to 2 months). There may be nothing at all wrong and you may drop if you stick it out. It could very well be a "false plateau".

Second of all, before you start eating more, make sure you are accurately measuring and counting. Make sure you aren't stalled because you are eating more than you think you are.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

If you are certain you are measuring correctly and that you need a metabolic reset, then just up it to 2020. You may stall or even go up for a week or 2, but just stick with it and then you will drop.

Good luck!

Edit for grammatical error
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    BMR doesn't really work when you are obese. Those calculators are set up using numbers from the general population using the principle that a certain % of your weight is lean body mass. That doesn't apply when you have a fat percentage that is probably over 50%. You don't need to calculate to feed the fat, it's what you're trying to get rid of.

1700 calories is not a low number at all but are you weighing, measuring, recording everything that goes in your mouth? Coffee creamer, sugar, cookie you nabbed in the lunch room, candy off a co workers desk, tastes while cooking, etc? It's really easy to think that you are staying in budget when you aren't if you aren't really diligent.

You don't need to reset your metabolism, it's not broken or low. Most of the population has a metabolism that is very close to the same. In order to have done any damage to your metabolism you would need to have been eating at about 500 calories or less for many months. I doubt that has been the case.

Make sure the calories you do take in are nutritious. You don't need to eat "diet" foods to lose weight. There's no need to live on lettuce and chicken breast. Your body needs some fat to function and fat doesn't make you fat, sugar doesn't make you fat, eating too much makes you fat.

Give your diet a chance to work and you'll probably see results at 1700.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you've just started weight lifting then I'm going to hazard a guess that your muscles are holding some extra water to help cushion and repair them. This can mask the fat loss that's going on. You're going to need to stick with a routine for more than a few weeks before you can decide if it's working or not. Let your body even out after all these changes.
  • scdsuccess1985
    Options
    I guess that I am just to curious to see results. Been stuck with this weight - want to loose it really bad.

I am going to stick to my program a bit longer like Bkyoun and Monkey41 suggested.

Yes, I am weighing and measuring everything... I try to be accurate with everything. Might slipped up here and there, but doubt if it could be so much over.

Now another brain teaser - when should I decide to up my calories a bit more if there is no results? How long do you suggest I stick with the 1700 cals plan? Been on it for 3 weeks now. I know is different for every person, but just roughly an idea?
  • Mokey41
    Options
    If you aren't losing why are you so determined to up your calories? When you maintain at 1700 why would you think you would lose by eating more?
  • scdsuccess1985
    Options
    If you aren't losing why are you so determined to up your calories? When you maintain at 1700 why would you think you would lose by eating more?

Because after reading, everyone says that one should eat more to weigh less. Thought that I was consuming less calories than needed.
  • mimi337
    mimi337 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Head over to the eat more to weigh less forum, everyone there really really knows how it works and can coach you through the whole thing. Good luck. It works!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

The most likely scenario is that you are eating more than you think you are. Are you logging? Can you open your diary?

Next most likely is over-estimating exercise burn - your walking is great, but over the course of an entire week it is only going burn about 500 calories, for the week.
  • Mokey41
    Options

The most likely scenario is that you are eating more than you think you are. Are you logging? Can you open your diary?

Next most likely is over-estimating exercise burn - your walking is great, but over the course of an entire week it is only going burn about 500 calories, for the week.

^^^ This. The whole eat more to weigh less only works if you've been drastically under eating and need to get back to a decent calorie level. Like I said before 1700 calories is not under eating because your BMR won't really be over 2000 since the calculators are flawed when you get up to your weight. Opening your diary would be a big help though.
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Topic: Metabolism Reset
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/1110420-metabolism-reset

BUMP FOR LATER REVIEW
    Hi everyone.

I have been reading about resetting your metabolism.

But I am little confused now. I am averaging about 1700 calories a day for almost 3 weeks now. (which I found out is way below my BMR - thus the reason for feeling so tired and sluggish) But I am not loosing anything, not inches or lbs, but also not gaining. Been 275lbs :-( for more than 5 months now - not loosing or gaining.

Now, should I up my calories to my full TDEE which is 2868 per day for maintaining my weight if my weight is currently being maintained with 1700 calories? Or what is my weight up to then?

I am exercising 5 days a week, 30 minutes of walking at average of 2.5mph. Only started weight lifting this week.

I am really confused. Afraid to up the calories & weight gain, but know that I must up calories above my BMR which is 2020 cals.

• TuscaloosaAubie
    TuscaloosaAubie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "Yes, I am weighing and measuring everything... I try to be accurate with everything. Might slipped up here and there, but doubt if it could be so much over."

If you are weighing everything and logging everything you should no how much you have gone over.

Remember you did not gain all of your weight in a few weeks so you are not going to lose it that way either. Look at it as learning how to change your lifestyle not as I am eating x number of calories to get to a weight. If you treat it as a diet and then return to what you were doing before the weight will not only come back it is likely to bring friends.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options

Because after reading, everyone says that one should eat more to weigh less. Thought that I was consuming less calories than needed.

Read this and think about it. The best excuse to fail on this site is the people telling you your body is in starvation mode!

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • kreationsforhome
    kreationsforhome Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Personally if I were you. Which I basically am at the same weight. I would barely lose anything at 1700. try 1500 or 1300. Also, do you eat back your calories burned from exercise? Maybe you aren't logging correctly.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    There is no requirement to up your calories to your BMR. Your BMR has nothing to do with your minimum intake, it is just your daily burn without any exercise. Your body will burn fat if it doesn't have food to burn. Many people find the BMR number to be an easily attainable goal and will create their deficit through exercise, and that is a fine plan. It's just not required. Don't be fooled into thinking it is.

Of course there are many, many other factors at work here - your exercise, how much of a deficit you can safely support, your overall health, hormonal issues, etc. There are many reasons to set calories at a higher or lower level, but BMR should not enter into the equation.