Is personal training worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Asking for a year commitment is totally out of hand. I believe personal trainers can help a lot, but that request would turn me off from that guy. Go back to him and tell him, yes, you want a trainer, but you'd like to hire someone else in the gym, and ask him who he would recommend.
    Jeez.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i started out with a 3 month contract and i'm going on over a year, thats how much i like personal training. i ts about 3600 a year for me and its the best investment i've ever made, Cheaper than plastic surgery, cheaper than doctors visits and all the drugs to cover up bad health problems, Cheaper than antidepressents and street drugs since i now ride on endorphins all day, cheaper than all the jack in the box and milkshakes i would have had. My trainers have taken me to levels and pushed my boundaries more than i could have myself. So i am all for professional help in the gym. some day when i know everything i'll quit paying for professional training. Get a good trainer , qualified and someone you click with. my training program consists of a group of trainers that i can choose from or rotate between depending on my goals.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I think it definitely depends on the individual and the trainer. For me, it has been 100% worth it. I started with a 3 month commitment and just signed up for another 4 months with the same trainer. She pushes me to my limits and works me a lot harder than I would ever have the motivation to work on my own. She develops a new plan for me every 4 weeks, so that my body is constantly changing and improving. I meet with her twice a week and she makes a home program for me to follow on my own once or twice a week as well as providing me with nutritional guidelines and advice. So with all that said, I think with the right trainer, at the right gym, at the right price, is definitely worth it. But I would recommend shopping around before committing.
  • RLPearce92
    Options
    firstly do they do, let's say, a taster hour or a free/lower cost session to let you experience how you will be trained as all personal trainers have their own style.
    and i guess it's down to personal preference, if you are motivated and can push yourself hard on your own you're probably fine doing what your doing and saving money, but if, like myself, you need a bit of a push sometimes and someone to tell you what to do without you doing much thinking then it is worth it.
    I have a session 1x a week and then i go to the gym 3x a week and i do prefer my training sessions with my trainer :)
  • Lunarbeanie
    Lunarbeanie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks, all!