New job started. Exercise stopped.

Options
I started a new job 2 week ago and haven’t been able to exercise since. I’m enjoying the new job, however, the commute is long. It takes me about 90 minutes on a good day, ONE WAY. My last job was located closer to my gym. So I went after work 3-4 days a week and took exercise classes. I am so far from this gym now AND I am so tired when I get off from work and drive the 90 minutes home.

I need some suggestions.

Thanks!

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I started a new job about 6 weeks ago (and moved 1700 miles away from home!) and I definitely had to find a new routine. It takes a little while to figure out what works best. I lucked out and have a gym in my building, so I'll go after work and use the elliptical or run on the treadmill, or I'll walk on the treadmill during lunch. I just bought ChaLEAN Extreme (a 90 day home workout program) so I will be doing that 5 days per week at home after work. I totally understand being tired after you get home, but I would suggest having a healthy snack on the way home, and then either going straight to the gym or do a workout DVD as soon as you get home. Can also run outside if that's an option for you. I find that if I hesitate at all and think about how tired I am, I won't do it.

No exercise at all in 2 weeks isn't great, even just for maintaining general health. You could even start by getting in a couple of really great workouts on the weekends (or doing active things like hiking, biking, etc) and then add 1 workout during the week once you're good with that, then 2...etc.

I feel for you because I just went through the same thing! Just remember how great you felt before when you were working out regularly and try to use that as your motivation to make it a priority again. :) Good luck!