Hydration, sleep, and workout sore.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Learn to love the feeling of being sore, it doesn't go away
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    To avoid soreness-STRETCH for sure! I lift every other day so it will give me one day to relax my muscles. Or, on a rest day lift lighter to give your muscles time to relax-:happy:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if its muscle sore, thats a good thing it means its working. if its a joint sore, thats not so good it means you are doing something wrong.
    the initial soreness in the beginng does go away or at least gets not so bad, so just keep at it. Pushing past yout comfort zone is what will get your results.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've heard different theories about working out with DOMS, but I found it actually helped with muscle soreness when I did. Just my experience.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It can really hurt, lol! One thing I haven't seen mentioned specifically is don't cut back your frequency by too far, or it feels like lifting new again (to me, anyway). Try to hit the same muscle twice within a week, even if that's literally 5-6 days rest in between at first. Don't go a whole week without doing it again, in other words.

OTOH, I don't think you have to start with 3 days a week on the same muscle if your DOMS is really bad at first. Do two days (of the same parts) and add in the third (if you want a third) after you are more used to lifting.
  • _Rogue
    _Rogue Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Start with body weight exercises and master the moves, get comfortable.

Move to the weights and start low and progress slowly. Drink plenty of water, stretch before and after and get adequate protein on those lifting days. You'll start seeing gains and noticing less soreness or at least you'll be able to deal with it better.

Whatever you do....just keep at it. Good luck! :)
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Getting that sore happens like..... four or five times. Then it goes away. I haven't gotten sore from lifting in a long time.

If you stick with it for any length of time the soreness will go away.

And then you will miss it.

Yup, I miss being sore some times. :ohwell:
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Don't cut back on frequency but I'll agree with others who say do a bit less or less weight to help yourself develop the habit. For me, I stay pretty sore for the first couple of weeks, and then the soreness goes away until I do something new. And every time I take a break from lifting I go back to being sore and have to start all over.

So the question you have to ask yourself is are you sore or in pain and damaged. If it is just soreness, work out anyway, only rest if it is real pain and damage.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone has mentioned foam rolling. Roll you muscles before and after your workout. I was rolling after only and found that rolling them before the lift got the muscles ready for the lift. My calves are so tight that it always hurts to roll them.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    I like the feeling of sore muscles, the old sore today strong tomorrow saying an all, I also get disjointed if I'm not sore, tells me I'm not really pushing myself. I'm never so sore I don't want to work out though, so I don't mean injuring yourself, most people train different muscle groups on different days and that usually spreads out the soreness rather than provoking its wrath :)
  • ajkolb
    ajkolb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I lift 5-6 days a week. You need to lift even on the days you are sore. You don't have to lift to heavy, but your muscle fibers will respond better. Are you drinking your BCAA's while lifting? Are you drinking glutamine with ur whey protein after lifting?
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Soreness is a good thing. Water, rest, glutamine, and walk it out. I am always sore and I love it!
  • jojeh2011
    jojeh2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    what is bcaa? and glutamine?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    BCAAs and glutamine are just amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein. If you eat enough protein there's no need to worry about supplementing with BCAA or glutamine, since protein already has them.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    BCAA's = Branched chain amino acids. A subset of "essential" amino acids, as we can't make them ourselves - we have to get them from food. Animal protein has plenty of them, but vegetarians need to eat protein from a variety of sources to make sure they get enough. I'm not convinced they'd do anything for DOMS, but if you feel like they help, go for it.