Shin splints or something else?

Options
I started "running" a few weeks ago. I use the world running lightly, I started week one of C25K and can't get past week one. I keep getting these aweful pains up my left shin. I thought maybe they were shin splints. I started KS taping and got new shoes. Still just as bad! I heard that shin splints feel like bruises, so I'm wondering if it is something else. It feels like my whole leg ( from the knee down) seizes up, gets really painful and feels a little numb. It's only as I'm running, as soon as I get off the treadmill, by the time I get a wipe and clean the machine, it's gone. It's really hard to explain. Any advice? Anyone experience this too?

Replies

• MrsCamp2013
    MrsCamp2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you running in? We're you fitted for them?
  • MrsCamp2013
    Options
    Brooks. I'm not sure the style. I went to finish line and told him I had shin splints and he brought out a few different shoes to see what felt best and most supportive.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I used to get the pain also.

I found relief by getting fit for shoes properly. I am in Altra's now. I also stretched after initial warm up (5mins) and then after running. I changed my running style to shorter stride (helped greatly), lean slightly forward, look forward and land mid foot on bended knee. Ultimately, all that didn't make the pain disappear right away but after about 3 wks I don't have that pain anymore. I think part of it was having to strengthen muscles I didn't use very much.

Good luck!
  • MrsCamp2013
    Options
    Thank you! That gives me hope to not give up on it!
    I used to get the pain also.

I found relief by getting fit for shoes properly. I am in Altra's now. I also stretched after initial warm up (5mins) and then after running. I changed my running style to shorter stride (helped greatly), lean slightly forward, look forward and land mid foot on bended knee. Ultimately, all that didn't make the pain disappear right away but after about 3 wks I don't have that pain anymore. I think part of it was having to strengthen muscles I didn't use very much.

Good luck!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It feels like my whole leg ( from the knee down) seizes up, gets really painful and feels a little numb. It's only as I'm running

That sounds like something called exertional compartment syndrome. See this video for an explanation:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/inside-doctors-office-keep-shinsplints-away

Is the arch on your left foot flatter, when you stand barefoot?
    http://i.imgur.com/ioPCd.jpg
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with Cherimoose. Also, have you had any give you a stride/foot strike analysis at a running shoe store? VERY important to avoid injuries.
  • MrsCamp2013
    Options
    Oh my gosh that sounds exactly what it is, thank you!! I believe both my arches are the same
    It feels like my whole leg ( from the knee down) seizes up, gets really painful and feels a little numb. It's only as I'm running

That sounds like something called exertional compartment syndrome. See this video for an explanation:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/inside-doctors-office-keep-shinsplints-away

Is the arch on your left foot flatter, when you stand barefoot?
    http://i.imgur.com/ioPCd.jpg
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It's unusual to get it only in one leg for no reason. You should probably get it checked out by a doctor, to rule out any unusual circulation issues.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Try running outside, the treadmill can be hard on your legs.