whats the point of excercise if I eat back the calories?

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    never "eat back" your exercise calories UNLESS you want to lose weight slower OR if for some reason you are hungier (which happens with increased activity) but my advice is to NOT eat those calories back. If defeats the purpose of exercise.

You should exercise to burn extra fat, calories or lose weight faster.

You shouldn't exercise just so you can eat more

Yes, by all means, fast weight loss is all that matters. Retaining as much lean body mass as possible isn't important at all. As long as the scale is going down quickly, who cares if you're burning up precious muscle mass??

Dude...no. Just....no.

You eat your exercise calories back so that you will burn primarily fat, while keeping as much muscle as possible. Plus, food is good. Stop being afraid of it.

Just because I didn't eat back ALL my exercise calories while losing doesn't mean I didn't eat plenty.

And LOL at your being "afraid" of food comment. I enjoy food all the time. The problem some people have is that they're not afraid ENOUGH of food.

Considering we NEED food to live, being afraid of it would kind of make life miserable.

Not as miserable as being overweight, but that might just be me.

If only there was a middle ground where one could lose weight in a sustainable fashion, not have food issues, and be happy both mentally and physically.

But hey, what do i know! I have nutella brownies as my ticker, I'm clearly not miserable enough
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    popcorn_jon_stewart.gif
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    never "eat back" your exercise calories UNLESS you want to lose weight slower OR if for some reason you are hungier (which happens with increased activity) but my advice is to NOT eat those calories back. If defeats the purpose of exercise.

Yes, by all means, fast weight loss is all that matters. Retaining as much lean body mass as possible isn't important at all. As long as the scale is going down quickly, who cares if you're burning up precious muscle mass??

Dude...no. Just....no.

You eat your exercise calories back so that you will burn primarily fat, while keeping as much muscle as possible. Plus, food is good. Stop being afraid of it.

Just because I didn't eat back ALL my exercise calories while losing doesn't mean I didn't eat plenty.

And LOL at your being "afraid" of food comment. I enjoy food all the time. The problem some people have is that they're not afraid ENOUGH of food.

Considering we NEED food to live, being afraid of it would kind of make life miserable.

Food shaming leads to eating disorders so yeah it is a miserable thing..... more so than being over weight...

Well, if you're going to play the ED card...

You know, not everyone that decides to lose weight differently than what the MFP community sanctions has, or is going to submit to, an ED.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Body composition is just as important a factor in weight loss as the number of pounds you lose.

The amount of lean mass you have impacts how you age, your quality of life as an elderly person, and how well you get around later in life.

Do you want to destroy your muscle mass and bone density by losing weight too rapidly? No? Then lose slowly.

Eat your exercise calories back.
  • wicked_yeti
    Options
    Hi, if you're only doing cardio you're very likely to lose muscle along with any fat loss. This will reduce your resting metabolism and you'll have a lot more trouble keeping the weight off. If you can add heavy resistance training to your routine then you'll increase your resting metabolism with the added muscle. You might weigh a little more but it'll help a lot overall if you hold on to your muscle mass.
  • amiclvrt
    Options
    Exercise should not be about calorie burns.

I work in healthcare and exercise is about heart health and bone strength and avoiding injury...I could go on and on. I work out to build muscle to turn my body into a calorie burning machine.

Now, I had some very wise ppl on this site tell me to stop starving myself with net 700 calories a day (thanks trogalicious!) and the next week I started losing weight and feeling alive again.

Just stop it....Just simply stop...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Dude...no. Just....no.

Food shaming leads to eating disorders so yeah it is a miserable thing..... more so than being over weight...

You know, not everyone that decides to lose weight differently than the what the MFP community sanctions has, or is going to submit to, an ED.

He's not playing a card. He's stating a truth.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Dude...no. Just....no.

You know, not everyone that decides to lose weight differently than the what the MFP community sanctions has, or is going to submit to, an ED.

He's not playing a card. He's stating a truth.

Beat me to it.... and Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    good idea :-)
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options

Dude...no. Just....no.

If only there was a middle ground where one could lose weight in a sustainable fashion, not have food issues, and be happy both mentally and physically.

But hey, what do i know! I have nutella brownies as my ticker, I'm clearly not miserable enough

Clearly we need to start brainwashing our youth to fear junk food monsters. It's the only way to repair the obesity epidemic
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    So how is the 1 - 2 pound a week recommendation false?

it's only true depending on how close you are to your goal. a bigger person will simply lose more than a smaller person eating the same amount and doing the same exercise

AdrianBry I wish you luck but you're fighting a fruitless battle against the "You must eat your exercise calories back" fanatics. I can certainly attest that when you have a lot of fat to lose, that an aggressive approach of a 1000 calorie deficit and not eating back exercise works very well combined with weight lifting and hitting your protein goals (as you've been stating). If I "ate it back" the numbers on my ticker would be half as much. "But you've lost muscle" the EIBers will say. No, I did not (confirmed via BodPod analysis).

It is unfortunate that your message is getting shouted down Adrian, as I fear someone in a situation similar to my own, will only hear "Eat It Back!" and need to take about 70-100 weeks to get the results I expect to achieve in 30-40 weeks.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    some of you are missing the point here. If someone eats 1300 calories then they simply are eating 1300 calories. just because you exercsie and burn 600 calories does not mean you are now only eating 700 calories and that you have to now eat back 600 calories.
    Dude, the only person missing the point here is you... but apparently you're just ignoring everyone that's trying to talk any common sense here.

You should really, seriously stop giving out advice here. It's bad enough fighting off the shakeology/herbalift/green coffee garbage.. now you're just telling people to do it wrong.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    For me, eating more IS the point.

Without exercise I could only eat 1800 calories.
    With exercise, I can eat up to 2500. I like to eat a lot, so I exercise.
    Exercise also tones and builds muscle.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    rapid weight loss is not a bad thing. the 1-2 pounds per week recommendation is false DEPENDING On how overweight you are. like i said an extremely overeweight person may lose 5-to-10 pounds their first week and as they get closer to their goals then they may lose 1-2 pounds or even less.

you do know this is not biggest loser right? maybe the first week but what about the second week or the third week. you set someone up for failure by telling them they can loose 5-10lbs their first week. what do you actually LEARN in a shorter period of time like you suggested a page ago? does an individual learn how what a proper portion is in a shorter amount of time like your suggesting? does an individual learn how to cope with food triggers after they have dropped their pounds in the short amount of time you suggest? what does someone LEARN from your logic? i say nothing. all it is to me is another quick fix diet that an individual will then fail at over the long haul and gain their lost weight back plus some.

healthy eating, proper exercise and KNOWLEDGE is what works. if dropping pounds FAST works so well why are you on here and for that matter why are WE all on here? give me a break.

i took a few minutes to browse your website. i found this point interesting: If you've been eating an average of 1500 calories per day and you are not happy with how fast you are losing weight then you can start eating an average of 1200 calories per day to speed up your weight

so what if i already eat at 1200 calories and i stop loosing should i eat less? how much less? 1000, 800, 600? for how long? until i loose the weight? yes you say eat between 1200-1800 but again what if i'm not loosing at 1200 do you suggest less? then what go back to eating my 1200 calories? does that not mean i will gain my weight back once i start eating at a higher calorie count?
  • Widadita
    Widadita Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I never eat back my exercise calories and I lose weight just fine. I am on a 1200 calories diet and my workouts are about 400 calories. and I feel perfectly fine, I sleep 8 hours, go to work, do all the things and feel full of energy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    some of you are missing the point here. If someone eats 1300 calories then they simply are eating 1300 calories. just because you exercsie and burn 600 calories does not mean you are now only eating 700 calories and that you have to now eat back 600 calories.
    Dude, the only person missing the point here is you... but apparently you're just ignoring everyone that's trying to talk any common sense here.

You should really, seriously stop giving out advice here. It's bad enough fighting off the shakeology/herbalift/green coffee garbage.. now you're just telling people to do it wrong.

Not only that, he's encouraging a type of ED - exercise bulimia/anorexia
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options

Ok, what you're saying sounds like it makes sense.

But your body requires a certain number of calories JUST TO FUNCTION. And, generally speaking, that number is a hell of a lot higher than 700.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Yes. They're the ones missing the point.
  • lesterj64
    Options
    What's the point? No matter what you do................You're in great shape! Keep up the good work.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    about 1300 calories to loose 2lbs per week.

I would be interested in what the Scooby calculator shows for your at "sedentary desk job" to "Maintain" your current weight.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Then between eating and/or exercising see whether you are at your goal of daily calorie deficit of "TDEE-minus-1,000" calories per day for a weight-loss of 2 pounds per week.

See whether the numbers seems to match up.
    :-)