Fat vs Fit: In terms of getting stabbed...

who would be more likely to survive? I'm talking 330LBs vs 2% BF.

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Where is the wound?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    The fat guy...2% body fat is NOT healthy and would severely limit a body's ability to combat stress
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Are you even alive at 2% BF?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member

I think 2.5-3 is the lowest one can actually be (males, as females are dead at that BF). 5-6 is about as low as one can maintain for any length of time
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    who would be more likely to survive? I'm talking 330LBs vs 2% BF.

are you bored?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Who says someone can't be 330 pounds with 2% body fat? Isn't that about Ronnie Coleman's size?
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Depends on too many factors. Did they already get stabbed or just an attempted stabbing? What kind of knife, where, how deep, how close are they to medical attention, etc.

Are you trying to think of a scenario where being fat is beneficial? Shipwreck maybe...
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Depends on the size of the knife, the location of the wound and whether or not any organs were lacerated in the process. Weight would probably have little to nothing to do with it.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member

I love you hard!
  • who would be more likely to survive? I'm talking 330LBs vs 2% BF.

are you bored?
    extremely. :embarassed:
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Are we talking about a knife or a sword?
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Way too many factors and "what if's" for it to be black and white but...
    ...if the fat guy got stabbed in the gut with a short knife, he may be more apt to survive the stabbing since his vital organs would be less likely to be affected. However, he may die from a heart attack or stroke due to the increase in blood pressure and stress, a blood clot, or secondary infection.

A fit person probably would just be able to run away or fight off an attacker. If he was stabbed, and survived long enough to get medical attention, he would probably have a better recovery time.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member

I think 2.5-3 is the lowest one can actually be (males, as females are dead at that BF). 5-6 is about as low as one can maintain for any length of time

Flex Wheeler was supposedly 0% at a Mr. Olympia in the 90s.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    And yes, you are safer to stay obese if you think you might get shot or stabbed in the future. I've seen them come in the ER with penetrating wounds that didn't make it through the "fluff" and saved their life. So you can have an extreme amount of subcutaneous tissue that will cause many health problems, but you might survive the gang fight.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    My layman's estimate is that it won't matter much.

I imagine that cutting an artery could happen to either one because there are several that are not very deep. Muscle isn't going to be significantly harder to penetrate, knives will pretty much slide right into either one. So the probability for injuring vital organs is going to come down to how big the victim is relative to the depth of the wound. But no one is really big enough to be able to shrug off even an average sized knife wound So it's probably more of a theoretical factor than a practical one.

The other problem that it's ridiculously variable. Sure there are some averages, but you might get poked with a 2 inch pocket knife and bleed out a few minutes later, and you might get a huge iron rod driven through your skull and live to tell about it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    if youre getting stabbed of course fat that's its primary job to insulate and protect organs,

Because I LOVE daily mail...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2130559/Man-known-Fat-Dan-survives-stabbed-38-times-determined-frenzied-attack.html

Man known as 'Fat Dan' survives being stabbed 38 times in 'determined and frenzied' attack
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    gladiators were actually very heavy and covered in fat. Their diet consisted of lots of high calorie grains and oats (similar to sumo wrestlers) so they could survive more slashes and stabs. If a guy with a six pack went into the gladiator arena, he would most likely die from injury quicker than his larger (realistic) opponents. Scars and cuts also showed more glory in the arena, and having a short battle or death was never something the crowd looked forward to.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    I'm just taking a stab in the dark here... But I'm gonna go with the one that gets medical attention in time.

#amiright?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    gladiators were actually very heavy and covered in fat. Their diet consisted of lots of high calorie grains and oats (similar to sumo wrestlers) so they could survive more slashes and stabs. If a guy with a six pack went into the gladiator arena, he would most likely die from injury quicker than his larger (realistic) opponents. Scars and cuts also showed more glory in the arena, and having a short battle or death was never something the crowd looked forward to.

so youre saying russel crowe wouldn't have survived?
  • gladiators were actually very heavy and covered in fat. Their diet consisted of lots of high calorie grains and oats (similar to sumo wrestlers) so they could survive more slashes and stabs. If a guy with a six pack went into the gladiator arena, he would most likely die from injury quicker than his larger (realistic) opponents. Scars and cuts also showed more glory in the arena, and having a short battle or death was never something the crowd looked forward to.

so youre saying russel crowe wouldn't have survived?

Noooooooooooooooo!