Sardines

Options
exermom
exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
I just recently bought a can and please don't ask me why I bought it.

Anyway, now my question is: how do you eat them? Do you eat them right out of the can, on a cracker, with some sort of dip? I don't have a clue. How do you eat yours?

Replies

• andrewharman
    andrewharman Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat them on a slice of wholemeal toast. Toast the bread on both sides, mash the Sardines lightly with a fork and spread on the toast. Put it back under the grill for a few minutes to warm the Sardines through.
  • dreszes
    dreszes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had sardines for breakfast this morning. I would say the best is to eat it with toasted bread. I had it with whole grain spelt toast. You can put butter on the bread under the sardines (I used some feta cheese instead, which was very good with the fish). A few drops of fresh lemon juice on the top is essential. Fresh vegetables go well with the sandwich also (onion, cucumber, peppers, etc.).

I hope you this helps and you will enjoy if you try.
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I stir them into pasta with some pesto and cherry tomatoes.
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I eat them straight out of the can. No chasers.
  • muppetkeeper
    muppetkeeper Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    To really lift the taste, add either lemon juice as mentioned before, or a few drops of vinegar. Sounds bad, tastes excellent.

If you've been exercising hard, (over a couple of hours), sardines on wholemeal toast is an excellent way to get your Protein and Carbohydrates back to the right level, and all that Omega 3 too, super food...

MK
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I actually put them in my salad once and it wasn't too bad, I think they taste better on toast though :)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I eat them straight out of the can. No chasers.

Same here. They make an awesome on-the-go snack or breakfast.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful responses. At first, I just may try them straight out of the can. Then I'll take it from there.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Love sardines.
    Eat em straight out of the can