Sugar Cravings are Killing ME

Options
flashfangirl_102
flashfangirl_102 Posts: 32 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Day 2 into my new regime and i will literally go find the easter bunny and rob his yearly stock if i dont get over these sugar wants. It's all ive been thinking about for an hour, what are some suggestions to ease them?

Replies

• narmowen
    narmowen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Giving in? I don't restrict what I eat, but I do limit it. If I restrict it, then I get horrible cravings & will totally binge out. If I just limit it (like actually eating a candy bar), I'm fine. I just make sure to count the calories and add it to my diary and I'm fine.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Wish I could give you a real solution. The only way I can get rid of sugar cravings is to wait them out. Took me a couple weeks to see improvement and by a month I had no desire for sweets. But once you start eating them again, you start craving them again. I do indulge in sugar free candy on occasion, but since I have to watch my carbs, I can't go overboard with that either.
  • Linda09189
    Options
    I just started also Day 4 for me, I also had sugar issues but mine was a headache and that lasted for 2 days, I don't have a desire to eat sugar, cause I know eating sugar got me FAT, and I don't want to be fat anymore...so here is what I do, I went out and purchase South Beach peanut butter bars there is also chocolate they are only 100 calories but they have tons of protein in them and very low in sugar....these work !!!!!! also get weight watcher dessert that helps to, I'm personally not getting them cause they still have way to much sugar in them, but they will be great for someone who really NEEDS the sugar......good luck
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat lots of protein, and protein with every meal and snack...It works for me... definitely
  • Linda09189
    Options
    also this is advice from Dr. Oz......he said to only ever take 3 bites of dessert
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    For me personally, the only way I can elimnate sugar cravings is to quit eating sugar. It takes me about 4 days, and during those 4 days, i'm a raging lunatic, but once i'm over the worst, i'm fine.
    If I eat sugar, I crave sugar! It's a vicious cycle for me.

Try giving it up for a week, and see how you feel.
  • 2boys111
    2boys111 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree, if I stay away and don't eat sweets it gets much easier. But it is SO hard to get to that point! I'd try to hold out and resist the sweets. I tend to do herbal teas at night to curb cravings or unsweetened iced tea during the day. And honestly? Lots of self talk to remind myself why I really don't want to be a slave to sweets. Fitting into smaller clothes is WAY WAY better than damn sugar! Good luck!
  • flashfangirl_102
    Options
    ha so its like cold turkey for cookies instead of smokes! Thanks a lot everyone :) im not a hue meat eater, but how else can i get more protein into my diet?
  • txcraftr
    txcraftr Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When I crave sweets I eat an apple. Even though it seems like it won't help a chocolate craving, it actually does. Either that or I do some exercise like Walking with Leslie Sansone or just get out of the house and walk and get some fresh air. If I go cold turkey it takes a good 3 days to stop the cravings. Go take all your clothes off and stand in front of a full-length mirror. It will quell the cravings instantly, lol.
  • jrfit79
    jrfit79 Posts: 30
    Options
    I can totally relate!!!! I have the same issue....so I have to really limit my sugar or I'm addicted in no time!!! I wean off the sugar and then only have a small amount when I want....but not when I'm upset or I will be downing a bag of M&Ms without breathing. Good luck!!! You can do it!!!
  • flashfangirl_102
    Options
    When I crave sweets I eat an apple. Even though it seems like it won't help a chocolate craving, it actually does. Either that or I do some exercise like Walking with Leslie Sansone or just get out of the house and walk and get some fresh air. If I go cold turkey it takes a good 3 days to stop the cravings. Go take all your clothes off and stand in front of a full-length mirror. It will quell the cravings instantly, lol.

Reading that last like scared the chocolate love out of me D:
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds crazy, but I was craving creme brulee yesterday. I wanted it SO bad that I made myself work for it. I swam and did water aerobics for 4 hours yesterday just so I could afford the extra calories and sugar. I ended up burning over 1400 calories. So guess who had some creme brulee last night? :bigsmile: I only had 4 tiny bites so that I could sneak in a few bites of flourless chocolate cake as well. I ate it super slow and enjoyed every bite!
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    Kale...

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2461/2

All fruits, Vegetables, Nuts, and Seeds have Protein...

And will keep you looking young...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6oJA_xhTa8
  • taylorbib
    taylorbib Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Would you rather be fat or skinny thats all you need to think about! and if it's really that bad have 1 serving of jello, it's 10 calories!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Giving in? I don't restrict what I eat, but I do limit it. If I restrict it, then I get horrible cravings & will totally binge out. If I just limit it (like actually eating a candy bar), I'm fine. I just make sure to count the calories and add it to my diary and I'm fine.

yeah, this
  • seg49
    seg49 Posts: 9
    Options
    You should make protein balls! I had major sugar cravings yesterday, made some protein balls and had them instead defintely hit the spot. There are tonnes of recipes online, try google some.
    The ones I make are:
    1/2 cup of cottage cheese (or less cottage cheese and add some greek yogurt),
    handful of almonds,
    handful of shredded coconut
    2T of cacao (or cocoa powder),
    30g of protein powder (I use protein powder because I don't eat meat and am trying to get more protein in my diet, you could leave this out),
    Then I put in whatever I have at home like chia seeds, dried fruit, pumpkin seeds...
    Put it all in a food processor and blend. Roll into balls, coat with coconut, refrigerate or freeze for 15 mins.
    They are delish, feels like you are having a chocolatey treat, but it is super healthy and protein packed :)
  • Jit7
    Jit7 Posts: 75
    Options
    Try having sugar-free chewing gum - that sometimes helps for me
    Or I keep mini sweet treats in my work draw like sesame snaps or mini chocolates but still have to resist not going for more.

I think someone else mentioned this, but this is what I was told by a dietician as I too have sugar cravings and I notice them if I sway from the advice I was given. Try to include more protein in your daily meals. Eggs, chicken, dairy, meat, lentils/beans, etc it should help. It has worked for me but when I don't eat enough protein (and at certain times of the month) I get real bad cravings for chocs and sugary treats.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Uh ... Forgive me for stating (what should be) the obvious, but ... FRUIT! A nice ripe mango or some sweet pineapple (GOOGLE "How to pick a ripe pineapple" or "How to ripen a pineapple" ... what you usually get in the supermarket is unripe and more on the tart side ...) ... Dates, figs, berries (all kinds) ... or 2% plain Greek yogurt with some honey ...

Really, forgive me, but I'm not seeing your dilemma ...

BTW, sugar doesn't make you fat ... EXCESS CALORIES DO ...
  • RLPearce92
    Options
    I get these all the time! yes sugar in large quantities can be bad and there are way healthier alternatives to foods containing sugar but when you get the cravings it's very hard to shake them so here's some things that i do:
    1. eat honey, super sweet and if you have it for breakfast on porridge or on toast it can satisfy
    2. fruit and or smoothies are nice and sweet
    3. jelly, well the sugar free options are best, 10 calories per pot and they do taste nice and sweet
    4. hot chocolate or a cup of tea with 1 sugar can do the trick

but if you do really want a chocolate bar, have one, log it and see where you are with your calories for the day :)
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what kind of sugar you're craving.

If I just want something sweet, then I'll do yogurt, a skinny cow ice cream, fruit, or a fruit bar; almost anything will do.

If I want chocolate, I'll do a tablespoon of nutella or some dark chocolate or a skinny brownie.

If I want pastries, I'll do angel food cake with fresh berries and cool whip.

Sooo... you have a lot of options, you just have to be creative. :) You could also work up a serious sweat then indulge. Although, I find after I work out I usually don't want what I've been craving anymore. ;)

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.