Ill with a cold, should I alter my calorie intake in any way

Options
Yesterday my nose was blocked and due to that and a sore throat developing overnight and so I have not slept.at all.
Do I change my calorie intake till I am better?

Replies

• RachSuzanne
    RachSuzanne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt to not be as strict to accommodate plenty of OJ. But being sick shouldn't increase your caloric intake too much.

This may sound odd, but do a light cardio workout. When I have a cold, I go to the gym and do cardio at about 1/2 the intensity and after I feel sooooo much better. The cardio increases your blood oxygen and makes your blood pump faster. This means those tough little antigens that fight your cold circulate more. Otherwise, I take it easy and drink plenty of fluids and get plenty of Vit C.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Yesterday my nose was blocked and due to that and a sore throat developing overnight and so I have not slept.at all.
    Do I change my calorie intake till I am better?

It is dangerous to do any cardio, this is due to the strain on the heart. If it is a virus you have but do not know (for instance you just think it is a normal cold) it can be downright dangerous and it has been known for people to collapse and die!

I don't mean to be rude or a ray of sunshine (not!), just wanted to warn you how perilous it could be.

Some viruses are sneaky and appear like a normal cold virus when in actual fact they are something totally different.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I am just getting over a cold. I was sick from Sunday to Wednesday. I kept my calorie intake just under what MFP gives me (1520). I did not workout any of those days except Sunday morning before I started feeling ill I did go for a walk. I did a small workout on Wednesday only 28 mins as it just was not in me to do.

Best advice is rest that is what your body needs.
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Tuck up in bed.

Have a bowl of tomato soup and a nice bread roll. I always crave that when I'm not so well.

Otherwise don't worry, you'll be okay in a few days. Just put things on pause, don't be so strict and take it easy for a few days, trying take in a bit more vitamin c usually when ill the body is quite good at letting you know what it wants. That isn't a licence for 20 bars of chocolate though! :) Just be sensible.
  • RachSuzanne
    RachSuzanne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean for it to sound like you should go jog a mile. Just that it's not always neccissary to stop everything for a cold. Like the others say, listen to your body. It will tell you what it needs.

Here's some interesting reading to go with that Tomato Soup.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/exercise-when-you-have-cold