Potatoes: Poe-tae-toe, Poe-tah-toe

Options
Okay, so I so know that whites are bad for my blood sugar like white breads, pastas, rice, etc.
I've since changed all the carbs I eat which has been working wonders!
Now, I'd love to eat a bake potato, but I don't know the healthier version of it...
White potatoes would be....russets i guess?
Are sweet potatoes okay?
If sweet potatoes are okay to eat, what other potatoes are "clean"?
I'm trying to make good lifestyle changes and I don't think I can avoid potatoes for the rest of my life.
Plus, if I cook for others, I want them to eat healthy too, but still enjoy and feel full.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-Bonnie

Replies

• jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with potatoes.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Stop making things so difficult for yourself and stop labeling foods as good or bad or clean or dirty. Eat the potato.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Wholemeal potatoes.

Seriously...make friends with sweet potatoes. Far more nutrients than the regular spud.
  • AmandaForKeeps
    AmandaForKeeps Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We eat sweet potatoes often. Bake them whole, sweet potato baked fries, mashed up and mixed with quinoa, etc. However, you don't have to avoid the good ol' russet. Every once in awhile, I want a potato, so i have one (usually cut up, tossed with olive oil and s&p, and baked. Holy yum!!).
  • mybonnieliesovertheocean
    Options
    Not trying to make things difficult for myself.
    I feel a lot better and don't feel lethargic after eating whole grains now.
    Just wanted some advice on which potatoes are the better kind to eat,
    you know like custard based ice cream vs. frozen yogurt.
    The frozen yogurt tastes great, but is much healthier for you than the saturated custard ice creams.

Please no negativity, I'm all about helping others, encouragement, and honest advice.
  • mybonnieliesovertheocean
    Options
    ooo... I've never thought about using quinoa into mashed potatoes. I think that's a wonderful idea, thanks so much for that tip!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    repeat after me ..carbs are not the devil...carbs are not the devil..

you can eat white carbs, brown carbs, black carbs, whatever carbs as long as you stay within your calorie goal for the day and carb macro goal for the day....

carbs do not make you gain weight, overeating does...

This advice is based on no underlying medical condition that would make you carb sensitive...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The frozen yogurt tastes great, but is much healthier for you than the saturated custard ice creams.

Please no negativity, I'm all about helping others, encouragement, and honest advice.

all potatoes are pretty much created equal ...one is not "bad" while another is "good" ....
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mu585jP5sY1sj3oxho1_500.gif

Potatoes are not evil.

If you're going to be racist against potatoes, then eat the sweet (orange/red inside, also called yams) potatoes.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I so know that whites are bad for my blood sugar like white breads, pastas, rice, etc.
    I've since changed all the carbs I eat which has been working wonders!
    Now, I'd love to eat a bake potato, but I don't know the healthier version of it...
    White potatoes would be....russets i guess?
    Are sweet potatoes okay?
    I'm trying to make good lifestyle changes and I don't think I can avoid potatoes for the rest of my life.
    Plus, if I cook for others, I want them to eat healthy too, but still enjoy and feel full.
    Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-Bonnie

There's nothing wrong with potatoes. they are full of vitamins, they have a lower gi than sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are worse for your blood sugar.

Potatoes have a high satiety rating and you should eat as many as you like, within your carb limits.

Do you have diabetes or something?
  • noemiehamilton
    Options
    Sweet potatoes and cumin go very well together. I wrap my potatoe in foil and cook it in the oven until soft, then mash the inside and add cumin to it, you can then put it back in the skin and back in the oven to let it crisp at the top. No butter, no oil, just cumin and a bit of salt fakes on top if you're a salt addict like me.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    You say potato, I say vodka.
  • texerus
    texerus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Potato is the fruit of the ground. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauté it. There are potato-kabobs, potato creole, and potato gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple potato, lemon potato, coconut potato, pepper potato, potato soup, potato stew, potato salad, potato and potatoes, potato burger, potato sandwich.

And yes, potato vodka.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

No one is being negative. The advice you are being given is helpful. The debate of white potatoes vs sweet potatoes, which one is "good" and which is "bad" is pointless. Eat whichever potato you want. Not feeling lethargic after eating whole grains is all in your head honestly. 100g of sweet potato or 100g of white potato almost have equal nutritional values - Sweet potatoes being slightly higher calories and carbs because of the natural sugars. Honest advice - don't complicate your life. Unless you have a form of insulin resistance or are carb sensitive, just eat your carbs according to your daily goals. Focus on nutrient dense foods for overall health, but have fun as well. Carbs aren't bad. Now ditch the potato and have some ice cream!
  • Mere_Dith
    Mere_Dith Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you really want a baked white potato, have one. Just don't load it up with butter and sour cream, that's what makes them unhealthy. They are delicious with salsa! Don't forget to eat the skin, that's where you get the nutrients and fiber.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Wholemeal potatoes.

Seriously...make friends with sweet potatoes. Far more nutrients than the regular spud.

Yeah, no

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2547/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2666/2
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Why do you think there is anything wrong with potatoes?

They are actually a great source of potassium.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Isn't the idea of eating 'clean' to eat whole, unprocessed foods? In which case, a potato is clean.

I could have completely misinterpreted that to be fair, I like my apparently dirty foods too much to investigate it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic?

If not, have a freaking potato.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you really want a baked white potato, have one. Just don't load it up with butter and sour cream, that's what makes them unhealthy. They are delicious with salsa! Don't forget to eat the skin, that's where you get the nutrients and fiber.

"Loading" a potato with butter and sour cream isn't what makes it unhealthy. Over-consumption of said condiments outside of your goals is what has the potential to make it unhealthy. One can live a healthy lifestyle, lose weight (maintain or gain weight, whichever is the goal), and still enjoy a loaded baked potato. Moderation in diet is key. One cannot determine health by focusing on a paticular food, or group of foods, outside the context of one's overall diet.