Meat?

Options
Does cutting out meat really help with health and weight loss? I have heard both sides of the arguments, but was wondering from people who had tried it first hand?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    In moderation and the types of meat, like switching to a leaner ground beef or eating chicken and pork, I am all for just a nice rounded diet
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    No, it's not a magic bullet.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    meat good me like
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I cut meat out earlier this year and my fat loss was dramatic! I was also working out with a personal trainer and logging on MFP.

I also feel much lighter and generally digest food a lot better since doing so. I now have added lean turkey to my diet (just becuse it's easy for brakfast protein).

I'm not anti meat but am an advocate for eating more fish :-)
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I have not eatten any red meat for about 15 years but I think it has not made a difference. Eating well overall and exercising is what has helped me lose 40 pounds! I do have to be careful of my iron, though since I am usually anemic!
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I eat more meat now than I did before I decided to be more healthy. That being said, I still don't eat a TON and I'm much more particular about the type/cut of meat and how it's prepared.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I eat quite a bit of meat (6-12 oz a day of lean meat) and supplement other protein as well. It makes a dig difference in how sore I get after workouts and how fast I recover from them.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I don't eat red meat much at all, seldom, maybe once a month and I always regret it the next day, me and red meat don't play well, which sucks, as I LOVE the taste :sad:

Me and chicken and white turkey, well we are best buds and play very well together :drinker:

I eat meat most every day, but never in large amounts, but everyone is different, the chicken I like to eat is the skinless thigh meat, I couple of those roasted or cooked in olive oil, garlic, and some spices and I'm in heaven!

I have a friend who cut all meat out of her day, and became a Vegan, I guess, within a year she had a bunch of health problems and had gained a bunch of weight. I'm not saying this is because of the no meat thing, but because she did not know how to eat a balanced Vegan diet, so if you do choose to cut out all meat, make sure you get some guidance on how to go about it safely.

Cheers
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I think it totally depends on the person and their personal biochemistry.

I know I could NEVER be a vegetarian. I thrive off of red meat and good fatty proteins. I'm energized, happy, and clear-headed. Don't get me wrong, I don't sit down to a side of a cow, I'm reasonable. But for example, the past few days I had been so hungry despite eating a decent amount (I had turkey and chicken for my proteins). Once I had some red meat, I was golden. A salad with grilled chicken on it doesn't satisfy me. Give me some hearty beefy chili and some salad/veggies, then I'm good. It's all about what my body wants/needs, which may not work for someone else. I really don't like these catch-alls that we've been given about how to eat - that's one reason why I ended up fat. I wasn't eating how my body needed, because I thought my body wasn't listening to what everyone was telling me. *soap box put away*

If you think the meat you are eating is a problem, try out some different eating styles and record what your body does and how you feel. Sometimes it can also be the other things you are eating, which you may figure out in the experiment. Test out the suggestions you get here and see what your body does and how you feel. Then you'll find out what is right for YOU.

Good luck!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    meat good me like

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • brown_daniel
    Options
    I cut down on my meat intake and actually put in some green leafy veggies more on my diet. I lost a lot of lbs at first but now its slowing down. I think my body has adjusted to my new lifestyle.