Help me learn to like running........

Options
13»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner. I've never liked it and wonder why it's the first thing people turn to when they want to 'get in shape'.

Actually, for me, it was the very last thing I turned to and it took my 40 years to get that low. Now I kick myself that I didn't get the whole running thing figured out 20 years ago.

It's funny how it takes us time to get to what we really like. To me running has ranked up there with "I should clean my fridge". My daughter loves to run though and is doing her first 5k this month. I'd never discourage anyone from trying it. We all fit a different mold.

I totally agree with you that the critically important thing is that you find healthy activities that you love and stick with.

That being said, I've experienced (and seen many, many others experience) running go from "Only when chased" to "I'll get up at 2 am to get my run in" after learning how to pace yourself.
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest motivators was going to a race to watch my husband run it! the atmosphere was all it took. It also helps that I get to run with my hubby every freaking run!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner. I've never liked it and wonder why it's the first thing people turn to when they want to 'get in shape'.

Actually, for me, it was the very last thing I turned to and it took my 40 years to get that low. Now I kick myself that I didn't get the whole running thing figured out 20 years ago.

It's funny how it takes us time to get to what we really like. To me running has ranked up there with "I should clean my fridge". My daughter loves to run though and is doing her first 5k this month. I'd never discourage anyone from trying it. We all fit a different mould.

I have been trying and trying to like running. I just never have-not even when I was a teenager in swim practice and our coach has us doing "indian runs" for cross training. Ugh. I even made a deal with my BIL that we'll run our first 5k together next summer. I'm already starting to regret it-because I really have a hard time getting to that point where I can keep going and going-I've gotten there, but it takes alot. And truth be told, I'm not in a shortage of cardio activities that I enjoy-I take spinning classes, kickboxing, step aerobics, ketttlebells, etc.

I looked at your ticker and thought-hm, lifting-THAT's my mold.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I tried to convince myself that I could like running. I don't. I never will. I don't mind sprints, or the occasional 5k obstacle run, but you'll never catch me doing more than a 7k ever again.
  • dan_boisvert_sub5x50
    Options
    This from CarsonRuns above: "You'll have a better chance of liking it if you find interesting places to run and you slow down so you can enjoy them without feeling like your heart is going to explode through your chest. Slow and easy is the way to go."

In addition to C25K, you can try Jeff Galloway.