Having Trouble Staying On Track

Options
For a couple months now I have been trying to make this lifestyle change happen. I have lost some weight but I have days that I just eat any and everything around me. For example, I did completely fine a couple days ago and stuck to my calorie goal. Yesterday I ate a burger, 3 mini tacos, 3 pieces of pizza, and fish all in the same day. I didn't even try to track the calories because it was so bad.

I feel like my triggers or issues are that:
1- I don't feel like I'm losing quickly enough
2- I feel like the weight loss is false (the number on the scale is going down but I still feel the same? Not sure how to explain this one)
3- My fiance. He has expressed concern about my health before and he always encourages me and says I look great, but he eats a ton. He is chubby but not obese, but will literally eat a whole pizza--seeing how much he eats usually triggers me to over eat too.
4- I feel like I'm not going to be able to do it, that I won't lose weight or won't measure foods right and will just fail
5- Foods that my family cooks - I feel like I don't have any way to tell how many calories are in it so I assume I'm automatically over eating
6- Bordom. I get restless on my days off and lay around being lazy, then pig out on tons of crap

I don't know how to get over and concur these issues. Has anyone else been through the same things? Any advice?

:( please help. I don't want to spend my life feeling weighed down and like everything is a struggle.

Replies

• vanhoorj
    vanhoorj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    WOW I could have written this...(except for the fiance' part).I am much better about getting activity in on a regular basis, but my food intake is rotten - not a day seems to go by that I don't cheat. I have been reading the Mind over body series and printing them out to refer to (OFTEN). The information is excellent - I just haven't hit that "trigger" yet that is going to make me successful. Don't give up. I saw a saying that I think is something good to remember "If you are tired of starting over Stop giving up". and "Small daily improvements are the key to staggering long term results - I'm not giving up. don't you! :bigsmile:
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are not giving yourself enough flexibility on your "healthy days" so bad that you eat to make up for it later. When you are under calories, how about a 20 minute jog and eat the remaining balance in something rewarding so you are close to 0 calories remaining? If you feel like you are having to restrict too much, its impossible to stick to major changes forever. It will be a fast crash and burn and gain it all back diet. Lifestyle changes come with small changes. Look a few small things you can change to be healthier.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    First track - everything - the good, the bad and the ugly. If you don't track you will look back and say "Oh but I've been eating SOOOO healthy." Yes I have done it and now I know to log and track even the UGLY days. It keeps me accountable. You can do it but don't beat yourself up if it is not always "perfect". After a bad day drink a little more water or try to fit a little more cardio in but just keep moving forward.
  • skesterline
    Options
    I fell into some of the same. I got this thought in my head that I would never really succeed, so why bother...and then spent days eating badly and not tracking everything. It was a bad decision. I began to feel awful, even made myself sick, because I wasn't doing what my body needed.

And the whole "loss is false thing" -- I think I get what you mean. Have felt that too. I honestly took a break from the numbers for a couple weeks. I just did the best I could at eating the right portions, making better food decisions, and getting my butt moving. After the couple weeks, I felt better without needing the scale to tell me I was doing ok. Did I feel like I had lost a bunch? No. But I felt better. I had more energy. I was getting irritated less often. Things like that are far more motivating than numbers for me.

As far as boredom, I still struggle with that. I get bored, I wander into the kitchen. I ended up putting post-it notes up with things like "are you really hungry?" and made myself answer it before opening the cabinet. I also started a couple of craft-type projects (like crocheting). Then when I am sitting watching TV in the evening, my hands have something else to do and I don't get as restless.

Not sure if any of that helps or not.