Dogs and exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• BlissfullyActice
    Options
    My Golden Retriever goes on some sort of adventure every day. Walks, hiking, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, agility training, jogging, and his favorite is dog day at the pool that only happens once a year.

Quick word of advise for those of you with big dogs. Talk to your vet before you jog with them or do anything that required jumping. Most big dogs are advised not to do anything like that for the first year as those activities have been known to contribute to hip dysplasia.

Definitely did that with my dog, I don't do much jumping activities with him as stated above, but during the summer months he is an avid swimmer as well in our backyard pool
  • balfit
    balfit Posts: 30
    Options
    My dog and I play fetch: she drops her toy off the side of the bed, I reach down and pick it up her for her, she drops it off the side again ....

Even though my dog is a dachshund and her legs are only about an inch and a half long, she can walk forever. I've taken her on 6 and 8 mile hikes. If she's not in the mood to walk then I get to carry her, so I get some strength training in.

I also get some arm isometrics done when it's just too hot for my 12 yr old mutt to keep up...
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Haha you could set your clock by my dog- she knows EXACTLY when it is time for her walk!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Doing C25K with my yellow lab. He's the best motivator in the world. :-)
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Walking and tug o' war :)

I tried running with them once......it was fine till they saw the neighbor's cat.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Mine is the biggest fan of any game of fetch, ideally with balls.

She comes running with me. We walk a lot and do cross country hikes.

We can't really cycle with her because as a collie she just loves to herd moving targets so cycling is not ideal.

That's my girl. :flowerforyou:

11cbjg2.jpg
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I show dogs, so my life outside of work revolves around them. Even when I'm not showing, I'm always grooming, doing nails, training, hauling equipment, etc.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The designer dogs are not in any way hypoallergenic...it is all pretty much hype. Dogs that do not shed seem like a great idea, but what most folks are allergenic to is dander, which is a fancy way of saying "dead skin cells". And all dogs have skin.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I show dogs, so my life outside of work revolves around them. Even when I'm not showing, I'm always grooming, doing nails, training, hauling equipment, etc.

Me too! I'm one of those crazy agility girls.
  • ny2298pdsgt
    ny2298pdsgt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i used to take my yellow lab running with me, but now she is with my parents since I deployed. Also have a nefoundland/chow mix that when we first got him (10+yrs ago) I would put my roller blades on and let him run and pull me (not exercise for me but fun), now he is 17+ yrs old and starting to slow and loses control of his back end at times but he still loves to play fetch with his toy (and if you dont throw it fast enough for him he "punches" you). Now, when I'm home (and his kid is over) and we have the dog, we go to the dog park one day on the weekend and the other day I talk him for a long fast walk or for a mile or so run (he is a Carilonia dog about 3 yrs old, but has bad habits and pulls so we are working on that first).
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    We used to do agility but have since moved house.

Still looking for a nice agility or flyball group locally. :smile:
  • balfit
    Options
    My life is better because of dogs for sure.
    This resumes it all !
  • balfit
    Options
    Walking and tug o' war :)

I tried running with them once......it was fine till they saw the neighbor's cat.

That's called sprint training !
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I want a dog so bad but my son is allergic to them. I would love a Aussie Shepard or a Border Collie. I have plenty of free time in the day. I used to have a Pit and he would love to go skateboarding. I would harness him and get a long leash and hit the curvy road in town. We would pass cars and he loved it. I would also do the same on my bicycle. Man I miss that dog.

what about allergy meds or a Mexican hairless breed of dog or standard poodle? there are a few breeds out there that people with allergies can have, there are also pet wipes you can get to cut down on the dander.
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I walk our three staffies and I take two of them along to the stables. The other one chases the horses which is a bit dangerous, so he mostly stays at home. They keep the feedroom free of rats and run along when I go riding. My one staffie is only 7 years old, but now have quite severe artheritis, because of all the wear and tear on her joints from a young age - she is a VERY busy and active doggie! The vet said we mustn't throw so many sticks for her now as we used to - it gets quite wild. She also loves swimming and will fetch sticks in the dam during summer time.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My two dogs are old and slow. I really enjoy walking with them in the woods behind my house after a long run or bike ride.
  • redhotfirebird
    Options
    The designer dogs are not in any way hypoallergenic...it is all pretty much hype. Dogs that do not shed seem like a great idea, but what most folks are allergenic to is dander, which is a fancy way of saying "dead skin cells". And all dogs have skin.

There used to be things you could buy to tamper down the dander (sprays, shampoos, etc), and I imagine there are still some on the market (Allerpet used to be a big seller). You can also limit your exposure by keeping the dog out of your bedroom, vacuuming often, investing in air cleaners, letting someone else groom the dog outside, etc.
  • LabrakaDebra
    LabrakaDebra Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My labs enjoy their twice-daily walks, which usually include retrieving sessions. And I do agility training and trialing with the younger one (the 12-year-old is retired from agility). They really keep me active.
  • TheLung
    TheLung Posts: 58
    Options
    what about allergy meds or a Mexican hairless breed of dog or standard poodle? there are a few breeds out there that people with allergies can have, there are also pet wipes you can get to cut down on the dander.

I don't want to dose him with meds just so I can have a pet. I can wait till he leaves the house or hope he out grows it.