How to log 30-Day Shread

Options
Just started doing Jillian Michaels` 30-Day Shread and I am not sure how to lig it. I have searched the message boards to no avail. Find that it is a VERY vigorious and strenuous workout, and the sweat is just pouring off of me.

My second question is how fast do you build muscle? I ask because I have read the debate about gaining weight while working out.

Happy Friday, everyone, and press on toward the goal!

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    The easy and only accurate way is to use a Heart Rate Monitor one with a chest band.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I would use about 60% of what MFP tells you for circuit training.
  • Darcie45
    Darcie45 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just started 30 day shred. too I did find it when I googled it, it was an old topic that gave you a formula or said to log it as circuit training general. Will see if I can find the thread again for you.
  • Darcie45
    Options
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Most people log it as circuit training. You likely won't build any muscle if you're eating at a deficit but you can help to hold onto what you have. Also it isn't the type of workout that builds much muscle anyway. You can't use perceived exertion as a measurement of calories burned. Sweating and finding it very vigorous are more signs of being unfit than that the workout is an intense burn. I've done Shred a few times through and my HRM logs 150 calories burned from start to finish.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    I've done Shred a few times through and my HRM logs 150 calories burned from start to finish.

Mine is about the same.... 150 or less. MFP will give you a very inflated number compared to what a lot of people get via heart rate monitors.
  • KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM and log it as a custom cardio exercise. I burn between 150 and 180 cals in 25 minutes but you could be different due to age, weight, etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Set your account to lightly active. 30DS is not a huge calorie burner and this will account to the extra calories you burn. Most people I know burn 150-250 calories.
  • quiltchickie
    quiltchickie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow! So how do so many people lose so much weight on it. Is it more for toning?

Also, any syggestions on a not-cheap-but not-expensive HRM?

Thanks for all the great info. :-)
  • sjacobs425
    sjacobs425 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i read in another thread take 3.267 x your weight divided by 3 suppose to give you burned haven't tried it yet though
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Also, any syggestions on a not-cheap-but not-expensive HRM?

Thanks for all the great info. :-)

So many people lose weight on it because they're already eating at a deficit to lose weight and doing Shred. It isn't the exercise making the difference, it's the change in eating habits. There's nothing wrong with the whole thing, it's a great 20 minutes of exercise and it will help firm up some muscles and increase your cardio fitness. It just isn't the kind of hard core workout that burns a ton of calories.

IMHO, Polar makes the best HRM's and the FT4 is a reasonably priced model that fits most people's needs.
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just started using the dvd myself and am on my fourth day of it. It is killing me as well! I don't know how many calories it is, but I Iog it in under cardio as aerobics(160ish calories). I find it super hard too, so I know I need it even if it isn't a huge calorie burner. Keep it up and you will see results. Good luck.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This is pretty accurate, at least compared to what my HRM calculated for me.

http://www.calories-burned.buddyslim.com/jillian-michaels-30-day-shred/
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options

Other than what has already been said, I think that people who never really worked out or stuck with a workout plan before tend to actually complete this program because it's only 25 minutes long and not insanely difficult.
  • Darcie45
    Options
    well, it may not burn that many calories, but it absolutely kicked my butt. So obviously it will be a good starting place for me on my fitness goal!
  • quiltchickie
    quiltchickie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    well, it may not burn that many calories, but it absolutely kicked my butt. So obviously it will be a good starting place for me on my fitness goal!

Agreed! :-)