5'2-5'3 girls around 170lbs.. how many calories....

Options

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and currently 160 (was 172 when I started back here in early August). I was eating 1600 calories and eating back my workout calories and losing. Now, I've switched to the TDEE method, so I'm eating 1750 a day (no change for rest days and exercise days). I've only been at it for about a week, so no results to report yet.

Workout-wise, I lift weights 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes and try to do C25K 2-3 times a week as well, for a grand total of 3-4 hours of exercise per week.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    1200 cal is a good place to start and you can adjust after a couple of weeks when you see how that works for you. Increase activity a little if you can. It doesn't have to be going to the gym. Park farther away from the door of any building you're going into, take the stairs for at least two floors, walk the dog farther, if you have one. Ride your bike to work if it is less than 5 miles away. And don't make excuses as to why you can't do those things. Get a ball to sit on instead of a chair if you sit at a desk at work. I'm sure you can think of other ways to add in movement. Strength training is really essential in addition to cardio, even for women. It will help you later in life to reduce the risk and effects of osteoporosis, aside from making almost everything you do easier. BTW, I should have said, I'm 5'2 and the picture you see of me here is at about 165 lbs. I am currently doing Medifast, which is really low calorie, and the weight is coming off, but I don't see the difference in the mirror yet. I've lost about 7 lbs in 3 weeks. My body seems to be very efficient with my fat. I'm also 53 and have a job that keeps me at a desk a lot (I have a ball that I sit on and I like it) and commuting for at least an hour per day. I do go to the gym whenever I can for both cardio and strength training, and take a dance class once a week.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I eat around 1800-2100 calories per day. I exercise 5x per week, usually running 3 miles twice and one long run on the weekend. I lift heavy 4x per week and I am losing slowly but consistently and not hungry. Hope it helps!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I eat around 1800-2100 calories per day. I exercise 5x per week, usually running 3 miles twice and one long run on the weekend. I lift heavy 4x per week and I am losing slowly but consistently and not hungry. Hope it helps!

Wow. You are awesome!
  • glheureux56
    Options
    I actually look at calories but I dont fret about them, I normally count carbs. Not just net carbs or sugar carbs, but all carbs. I try to keep them below 150 grams per day but if I go to 180 grams its okay. There were a few occassions in which I really went over (like never ending pasta bowl). If I keep the carbs in check then the calories seem to stay balanced.
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I don't think you'd need to alter your calories at all. I checked out that TDEE that someone else mentioned and at least for me, it doesn't seem to be any different than what MFP gave me. However, considering that hunger is the main obstacle to staying your 1200 calorie course, I just thought I'd pop in and give you a few suggestions.

1. Supplement meals with high fiber foods. This can help keep you full for longer.
    http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/063008p28.shtml

2. Eat high protein foods. In my experience, this doesn't really keep me full for long but I know some people say it does. Most of these dieting tips are very much person-dependent so you really just have to experiment for a little bit before committing to a full on diet.

3. Eat low GI meals. All carbs will increase your insulin levels to a certain level. Some, like a bottle of coke will spike insulin levels and then after 30 min you crash and you get very hungry. So low GI foods will keep you full for longer without spiking insulin and causing that crash.
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsweek/Glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods.htm

4. Drink lots of water. Yes, you will go to the bathroom a lot but hunger can many times be curbed by drinking water. Just filling your stomach with something can trick your body into reducing hunger.

Since you've been having a lot of trouble only eating 1200 calories, I'd suggest not worrying about losing weight for a few months. Try experimenting with different foods to see what diet you can maintain and then worry about the scale.

Good luck!
  • ashliejones13
    Options
    I'm not trying to be mean, but 1200 is plenty. Especially if you're eating back what you burn or a least eating back half of what you burn. We are short, we don't need as much food as someone 5'8. I always get people around my height asking how I lost all of my weight and it always comes down to food. You don't have to be 'full' to be satisfied. Humans are over weight these days because we over eat. Bump up your protein, stick to 100 carbs or less from only fruits and vegetables and you'll be just fine.
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    1200 calories for a 25 year old girl seems kind of low to me. MFP calculated 1250-1500 calories for me and I'm 45 yrs old, 5'4 and was 185 at the time. I do 1300 calories for 5 days a week and 1800 calories for two days a week (usually eat out on weekends). I've been losing about 1.5 pounds a week pretty steadily. I JUST started exercising again after a pinched nerve, so that hasn't played a role in anything.

If you are so hungry that it is making you cry, something is WRONG!!!!! I hate being hungry - it gives me a headache and makes me cranky and miserable - plus - I believe that that is your body telling you to eat something nutritionally sound. The method I'm using is slow, but I feel good, I'm never hungry and I eat the types of foods I want.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I knew that I could eat exercise cals back but I didn't want to risk over estimating my calorie burns and eating too much back

Consider investing in a HRM!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    5'3 (and a half!) I weigh 162ish and I eat 2000 calories a day :drinker:
  • G0ldenboy
    G0ldenboy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    just remember its a suggested Goal. They say it takes 3000 calories to burn 1lb. So if it set it at 1200, meaning your body (BMR) is probably burning at round 2200 calories without exercise, So every 3 days u shud be losing a lb. Thats if you have your settings are at 2lbs a week. Also try maybe a little higher in fiber foods to help with cravings.
  • Healthychick84
    Healthychick84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" n Mfp has my cals set at 1200. I workout 5-7 times a week. I try to get to 1200 n I normally don't eat back calories, if I do it only a 4th of what I burned. I wear a heart rate monitor n a chest strap. I don't workout without it.The machines at the gym r totally off! I log my food everyday n drink water all day. I started about 7 weeks ago at 179 n I now weigh 162. A lot people will tell u to eat calories or your body will go onto starvation mode. For me that's not true. All if the pounds that I have lost have come from fat so if i was starving myself my body would be storing fat and losing muscle mass. Also, try to eat high quality foods. They keep u full longer n they are lower n calories n fats so u can eat a lot more. They also keep cravings down to a minimum. Some things I eat everyday, sometimes several times a day are bananas, natural peanut butter , spinach, n green juices or green smoothies. And if you are lifting weights there u will take longer to drop the weight initially but it's well worth it. My weightloss slowed down when i started but my body fat was decreasing so don't get discouraged. It takes time for your body to catch up with the changes u make. I hope this helps. Good luck.
  • newmomoldbody
    newmomoldbody Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'2" and currently weigh 144lbs. I just recently started my 1500 calorie diet .i am hoping to get to my pregnacy weight of 115lbs but i would rather be able to fit into my old clothes and be toned than just focusing on the number.

MFP says i need to be taking 1200 but since I am nursing I added another 300 calories for the days that I don't work out and a little extra fro the days that I do. I have been doing cardio and strength training but not too intense to mess up with my milk supply.

Anyone else on this forum nursing?
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    The scale is a liar. Use measurements instead. I measure thigh, bicep and waist. In addition I can feel that I'm getting more muscular.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    http://weighing-success.com/NutritionalNeeds.html

Use this to get the current stats for YOU!!! Be healthy and don't forget to readjust as the pounds come off. You may not be losing because you cut calories too fast and your body believes that you are starving... I am no expert but I was having some stomach acid issues and this was what I was advised by my primary care manager.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" n Mfp has my cals set at 1200. I workout 5-7 times a week. I try to get to 1200 n I normally don't eat back calories, if I do it only a 4th of what I burned. I wear a heart rate monitor n a chest strap. I don't workout without it.The machines at the gym r totally off! I log my food everyday n drink water all day. I started about 7 weeks ago at 179 n I now weigh 162. A lot people will tell u to eat calories or your body will go onto starvation mode. For me that's not true. All if the pounds that I have lost have come from fat so if i was starving myself my body would be storing fat and losing muscle mass. Also, try to eat high quality foods. They keep u full longer n they are lower n calories n fats so u can eat a lot more. They also keep cravings down to a minimum. Some things I eat everyday, sometimes several times a day are bananas, natural peanut butter , spinach, n green juices or green smoothies. And if you are lifting weights there u will take longer to drop the weight initially but it's well worth it. My weightloss slowed down when i started but my body fat was decreasing so don't get discouraged. It takes time for your body to catch up with the changes u make. I hope this helps. Good luck.

OMG!! DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS PERSON!! To be working out this much and not even eat 1000 calories a day is dangerous and unhealthy!!

To OP. You need to determine what your TDEE is and what your activity level is in order to determine what is a healthy calorie goal is for you. I use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/.
    You can do it 1 of 2 ways. Determine your TDEE and calculate your activity including exercise and any other normal daily things such as an active job and then take your TDEE minus 10% - 15% for your calorie deficit. You then try to stay near that goal everyday and don't worry about your excercise calories. Or, you can find your TDEE, minus the 10-15% and put your activity level at sedentary and then watch your exercise calories and eat those back.

I know people that eat well over 2000 calories a day and consistantly lose weight. Personally at about 1500-1600 I was losing weight. A calorie goal isn't based on how tall you are but on a combination of your activity level.
  • Healthychick84
    Healthychick84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    First of all... U don't know my life style. I am a stay at home mom n other than working out I don't burn a lot of extra cal. So it is not dangerous! Like I said... If I was starving I would b losing muscle mass! People who live a less active lifestyle do not have to eat as much as someone who is active daily so don't try to bash me! If u don't eat enough u will not maintain muscle mass as I stated before! I have only lost body fat which means I must b something right! You are entitled to your own opinion but how about giving your own advice instead discrediting mine! I didn't say she has to do what I do. Thank you n please get a life!
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm 20, and when I was around 170, I was eating around 1600-1700 calories intutively and lost weight slowly. Then around 165 I started eating 1500 and I was doing cardio like a crazy person because of all my activities.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, you are probably gaining muscle.

Please stop spreading this myth. In order for women to gain the muscle required to actually put on pounds, she needs to be working out HARD lifting heavy things...also eating at a surplus. It's actually difficult to gain muscle mass.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    just remember its a suggested Goal. They say it takes 3000 calories to burn 1lb. So if it set it at 1200, meaning your body (BMR) is probably burning at round 2200 calories without exercise, So every 3 days u shud be losing a lb.

Just no. smh