Dreading the Weekend

Options
During the week I am very good at making healthy choices. I have my small breakfast, regular snacks, some low-calorie lunch and dinner, I can go to the gym to do some cardio or weight training, even if it is just for half an hour. On the weekends it is a totally different ball game. Our family is German (we have lived in KS for 4 years now) so we are having rolls or French baguette for breakfast. For lunch there is almost always McDonalds or something like that because it is convenient on a busy weekend with stuff to do with and for the kids. Very often I forget to have a snack and I tend to make unhealthy choices...

So weekends are hard on me and I almost always gain over the weekend. Being perimenopausal (49) and having difficulty to even keep my weight for that reason does not help.

Are weekends harder on you to? Or easier? What are your tricks?

Replies

• Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    During the week I am very good at making healthy choices. I have my small breakfast, regular snacks, some low-calorie lunch and dinner, I can go to the gym to do some cardio or weight training, even if it is just for half an hour. On the weekends it is a totally different ball game. Our family is German (we have lived in KS for 4 years now) so we are having rolls or French baguette for breakfast. For lunch there is almost always McDonalds or something like that because it is convenient on a busy weekend with stuff to do with and for the kids. Very often I forget to have a snack and I tend to make unhealthy choices...

So weekends are hard on me and I almost always gain over the weekend. Being perimenopausal (49) and having difficulty to even keep my weight for that reason does not help.

They're harder for me too. We always seem to go out to eat or go to a friend's house and have drinks. I find that if I STICK with the logging and am very very good on the days when I am at home, then that helps.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I work harder during the week, doing double
    then I party the whole weekend,
    works for me.
  • mandyplace
    Options
    Same here
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If I don't do much socially, I'm okay...

But if it's a girl's weekend away, or too many activities that almost always include eating and/or drinking alcohol.... I'm done. If I could find a way to not have lose back the pounds I gain on the weekend, I'd be awesome. :grumble:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Plan plan plan. Plan your weekend activities, plan your weekend meals, plan your weekend exercise. That's the only thing that keeps me in check.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally understandable. But if you plan ahead of time you can still be ok.

Last friday, we decided that we were going to have breakfast out on Saturday, so I planned ahead and logged everthing for Saturday. I knew I would be over my goal calories, but that was ok because I put in the time at the gym on Sunday to offset.

Also, when we are out doing errands I try to plan ahead as well. If we'll stay local around the house then I'll make sure that there's something in the fridge handy for when we come home starving. Or we go into the city then we'll just plan on eating something healthy, like roasted chicken, subway, chipotle, maybe mexican seafood.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I understand. I suck at weekends and don't even log. I do pretty well-ish during the week so I don't stress over it too much. I know some people look at their weekly net, not daily. Maybe that would be a good option for you.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I'm always active on the weekends. Get out and about and do stuff. Then eat relatively normally and don't stress :smile:
  • Nathanmmx
    Nathanmmx Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I purposely make Saturday my cheat night for dinner, and find Sunday to Wednesday easy to eat normal then just remind myself I can indulge Saturday night and that keeps me going the rest of the week being good.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Think about your calories goals on a weekly basis instead of daily. I eat at a deficit M-Th knowing I'll go over on the weekend. I maintain well this way. Also, unless you're gradually gaining, much of the weight you're gaining over the weekend is probably water weight because of high salt/carbs.

I'm also in KS. And though a mixed bag, I'm also of German descent. :-)
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Weekends are hard! Especially with all the social events that revolve around food. I try to plan ahead and save some calories for the weekend if I know I'm going out or seeing family. Also, just because the family has rolls for breakfast doesn't mean you have to. Practicing moderation on weekends is something I'm constantly working on. Try to choose a fast food place where you know you have options that won't blow your calories if you know you're doing fast food. Try to always have things on hand that are healthy on-the-go snacks. I like protein shakes and bars for this reason, fruits, string cheese, prepackaged nuts, etc.

And I like to scenario-plan a little if it's realistic...if I'm going to a barbeque, what's a few beers, a burger, and some chips going to look like in my diary? That way you have an idea of how many calories to save up or if you need to practice moderation with the chips or have less beer, etc.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I find if I can sneak in an hour on the elliptical..and get through breakfast without eating bad stuff.. I can make it through and even lose. The trick is to get the work out in..and to get to 1:00 in the afternoon without eating junk.
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is an opportunity to change your family's pattern. This is going to sound harsher than I mean it to because I do understand you're busy and kids love McDonald's, but going every week isn't the best habit to teach them. Maybe instead you could all cook something healthy together or go for a walk and have a picnic if it's not too cold.

Otherwise, just try to exercise and make good choices for yourself. You don't have to be perfect--just better than usual should create more of a deficit than you've had. Small changes really do add up. Maybe have fruit for breakfast and save some extra calories for later in the day?
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I work harder during the week, doing double
    then I party the whole weekend,
    works for me.

Exactly what I do.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Weekends are definitely harder, but they've been harder throughout my whole weightloss journey, so I've gotten used to it and learned to set my calories goal such that I will still lose weight (or maintain now) even if I go over on weekends.

I will say that we eat out all weekend for lunch and dinner, from Friday night through at least lunch on Sunday. Sometimes we go out on Sunday night too. I just try to make the right choices at each of those meals and usually, the only reason I end up over calories on weekends is the alcohol! There are plenty of low-calorie options at restaurants. Even McDonald's has a 310 calorie chicken sandwich, which is actually pretty good. But we've also taught our kids to enjoy many other restaurants that offer more healthy options, so we only end up at McDonald's about once a month or less.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

You have to make a deep decision that you are going to get healthier no matter what. These kinds of obstacles will always come up.

To be successful, I have to plan every day's food for myself. Other people are going to eat what they eat. You don't have to eat it with them. I make the basics for my meals ahead of time so they are easy to put together -- or I make whole meals ahead of time when I know I will come home exhausted or busy, so I just have to heat them up. There's a McDonald's 2 blocks from my house, very easy to drive through. That's one reason I got fat.

Besides planning and making my meals ahead of time, I've started standing up for myself. People try to give me food gifts at work, sugary muffins, cookies, breads, etc., and I tell them no in a nice way. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO thank you, you go ahead and enjoy it, etc It's hard at first but it gets easier. Learn to say no. You can say it in a gracious way so you don't spoil the fun for other people, but really mean it, and eventually it will sink it for those around you.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is an opportunity to change your family's pattern. This is going to sound harsher than I mean it to because I do understand you're busy and kids love McDonald's, but going every week isn't the best habit to teach them. Maybe instead you could all cook something healthy together or go for a walk and have a picnic if it's not too cold.

I agree with this.... great advice. Make a big pot of steel cut oats with chopped apple for breakfast. You can cook it ahead of time and just heat it up. Have fun preparing a healthy meal together.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    I always gain on the weekends too! i dont cook on the weekends so we always eat out and its never good!! Im really trying to work on that and im back on this journey again (as of today) so this weekend will be a test!! What i try to remember is if i know where we going for lunch, dinner or breakfast, is to pre-log my food or look and see what they have thats the healthiest choice!!!! I'm going to start cooking sundays so thats one less day i have to worry out on the weekends...... good luck ;-)
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Either plan ahead for the weekend calories and save up for them, or cut out the high cal weekend food. I'm not being dismissive, it just seems like a pretty simple equation. If I want to go over my calories tomorrow and not gain, I either have to save today or cut back the day after tomorrow.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I run on the weekends and/or get out of town for a hike. I've had weekends where I burned 900 odd calories running on Saturday then over 2.5K calories on a day hike on Sunday. The hike especially might be a good thing to get the whole family involved?
    That might be a bit extreme if neither of those works for you - but maybe a yoga or dance class or some sort of exercise class on the weekends to offset the weekend eating?