In need of healthy apple recipes!

Options
ElizaKat001
ElizaKat001 Posts: 28 Member
My in-laws gave us 3 huuuge bags of apples from their apple trees...and I have no idea what to do with them! Does anyone know of some fairly low cal/low sugar apple desserts that I can make this weekend? Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i pretty much tear through them straight up. none of my apple recipes could qualify as "healthy", more like "eat in moderation" but i'm in for the recipes! i just got three half pecks from the orchard :smile:
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Google recipes for crock pot applesauce! Some people bake cookies/loaves with part apple sauce/part sugar instead of using full sugar. Look it up! :)

It's also a great way to get enough fruit into your day! :)
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    I love them chopped up with cinnamon and truvia and some old fashioned oats and a little almond milk, then zap em if you're pressed for time or bake them or throw them in the slow cooker, but it's like oatmeal/ healthy cobbler - you can also chop up apples into an egg white omelette with cheddar
  • ElizaKat001
    Options
    - you can also chop up apples into an egg white omelette with cheddar

Ohhh, that sounds yummy!
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Cheesy Skillet Apples
    Serving(s): 1

Ingredients
    3 tablespoons water
    1 small crisp apple, cored and diced, unpeeled
    1 boiled egg, chopped
    1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
    2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds

Instructions
    Combine water and apples in a large cast iron (or regular) skillet and bring to a simmer over
    medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until water has evaporated, about 3-4 minutes. Add the egg and
    toss gently to warm. Sprinkle cheese over all and cook for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Top
    with almonds and serve immediately.
  • arenadiva21
    Options
    http://changingmydestiny.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/crockpot-apple-butter/

Not really healthy but most likely has less sugar then store bought, I made it a few months ago and it was the best apple butter I have ever had.
  • runningvegan
    Options
    Not desserts, but one of my favorite food blogs has had a couple of apple recipes this week. A turkey, brie and apple panini and a chipolte turkey chili with apples.
    iowagirleats.com
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Crock pot pork loin with apples and cabbage

1 huge onion sliced, 3 big apples sliced, 1/2 head of cabbage sliced, salt pepper, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup white wine or sherry, 1 1/2 cup water. mix this up. Nestle the pork loin on top. cook high 6 hours.
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    Right now I have a batch of apple spice bran muffins in the oven

2 packages Martha White Honey Bran muffin mix
    2 large egg whites
    1/2 cup fiber one cereal (the original twiggy stuff)
    200 g green apple diced
    1 1/2 cup skim milk
    apple pie spice
    1 tsp baking powder

bake 425F for 16 min
    makes 12 170 calories each
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I just went through the same thing. 1.5 5 gallon buckets filled with apples.

I made crockpot applesauce. It was awesome and I just left out all the sugar and instead added cinnamon, nutmeg, and a teeny bit of allspice.

I also made crockpot applebutter for morning toast bread. It was DELICIOUS... again, zero sugar added.

I made extra of both of those and froze it for later use.

I hollowed out a few and baked them in the oven with cinnamon and splashed with some apple juice (from the juicer) and when they were done I filled the inside with vanilla bean frozen yogurt... YUM!!!

The rest I'm just munching my way through with peanut butter or just plain
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Two Ingredient Crockpot Applesauce:

peel and chop apples (weigh them before you put them in the crockpot so you know how much went in...you want the crockpot to be as full as possible, since the apples will cook down a lot) - macintosh are the best, imo :tongue:

add cinnamon to taste (I like mine very cinnamon-y, but I've never actually measured...I just shake it on until the top of the apples are nicely covered, then stir it in - if I had to guess, maybe 4-5 tablespoons?)

cook on low for...oh...6 hours? Open and stir....depending on how thick you like your sauce, you may need to cook it for another hour or two.

Eat warm. om nom nom :happy:
  • Amberonamission
    Options
    I missed the desserts part.

Apple pizza

those little biscuits in a tube. Not the grands the little cheap ones. press 2 tubes into a baking dish to make a bit of a crust. arrange thin sliced apples into a pretty pattern evenly over the top. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg, drizzle with agave nectar. bake 375 for 20 min. serve with a dot of whip cream
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Two Ingredient Crockpot Applesauce:

peel and chop apples (weigh them before you put them in the crockpot so you know how much went in...you want the crockpot to be as full as possible, since the apples will cook down a lot) - macintosh are the best, imo :tongue:

add cinnamon to taste (I like mine very cinnamon-y, but I've never actually measured...I just shake it on until the top of the apples are nicely covered, then stir it in - if I had to guess, maybe 4-5 tablespoons?)

cook on low for...oh...6 hours? Open and stir....depending on how thick you like your sauce, you may need to cook it for another hour or two.

Eat warm. om nom nom :happy:

OR leave the skins on... hit it with an immersion blender at the end of 6 hours and put it BACK in the crock on high for another hour or so without the lid and BAM! Instant Apple Butter!
  • ElizaKat001
    Options
    So many delicious sounding ideas! Thank you everybody!! I'll be a cooking fiend this weekend! ;)
  • Cathie_2013
    Options
    This looks similar to one I found on the back of a quinoa package. I've made it a couple of times, and it's really tasty. If you make it with Greek yogurt, that plus the quinoa and walnuts make it pretty high protein, too.
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=575011
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    If they're the little apple tree ones then cut them in half and cut the core n seeds out but leave the skin on. Start putting them in the largest soup-Stock Pot you have once it gets like 3/4 of the pot full. Add water up to just covering them. Boil them till they are super super soft like mushy soft. Then take a strainer strain the water(juice) into a pitcher but save the apple stuff. Add sugar to the pitcher and stir it up you have apple juice. Put the saved apple stuff in a blender and add sugar and cinnamon to that and blend it to a pureed state and you have apple sauce. Is pretty easy hardest part is just cutting them all and coring them but I leave the skins on cuz it gives it more flavor. I just take the core n seeds out.
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Chia Seed Apple Pie! I boil down 4-large chunked-up apples in water until cooked. Add 3-T of Chia Seeds, Stevia to taste (@ 2-t) and 1T vanilla extract. If you have one of those pans that make filled sandwiches, use whole wheat bread with a brush of butter in the trays. Just a bit over 100-calories each and good for you!
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you only have three minutes, cut an apple into slices while leaving on skin. Sprinkle on some cinnamon and add a teeny bit of vanilla extract. Mix around a little with a fork. Microwave for three minutes. This is particularly excellent on vanilla ice cream if you can make room to budget that in as well!
  • 2015KMV
    2015KMV Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump